Do airguns need a license?

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
desperadoxx
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Do airguns need a license?

Post by desperadoxx » Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:56 pm

Hello Everyone.. This is my first post after registering in this forum. :). I have a question... Do we need a valid arms license to own a .22 Cal Air Rifle? I had read somewhere that .177 is okay, but to have a .22, one need to have a valid permit. Would anyone please clarify my doubt.

Ps: I had gone through many threads to search for similar topics, but could not get it clarified, so opening a new thread.

For Advertising mail webmaster
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:49 pm

You do not need a firearms licence to own a .22" calibre air-rifle/pistol in India.

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

The "deal wood test"

Post by mundaire » Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:07 pm

OK, finally got hold of a copy of the famous Central Government notification No. G.S.R 991 dated 13-7-1962 where it had excluded arms and ammunition of the descriptions specified in Column (1) of Schedule II from certain provision of the Act and subject to conditions mentioned therein. Posting the relevant parts here FYI:

Schedule II

Arms & Ammunition
(1)
(2)
(3) Air guns, air rifles and air pistols which satisfy the following test, namely that - the projectiles discharged from such guns or pistols do not perforate a target 12 inches square formed by deal-wood boards of even grain, free from knots, planed on both sides and of thickness of 1/2" and 1" for air pistols and air guns/ rifles respectively:
Provided that in making and estimating the test the following conditions shall be observed, namely:-

(a) the weapon shall be held horizontally with the muzzle at a distance of five feet from the target,

(b) the test shall be repeated twenty times for each class of projectiles which can be discharged from the weapon; and

(c) perforation shall be deemed to be effected-
(i) in a case where the projectile is a dart, if the point of the dart pierces the back of the target, and
(ii) in any other case if the projectile passes completely through the back of the target.

Provisions of the Act (which the above are exempted from)

All; provided that the Central Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, retain all or any of the provisions of the Act in respect of air pistols or of any class thereof in the case of any class of persons or of any specified area.

HTH

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

msandhu
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: Do airguns need a license?

Post by msandhu » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:34 am

that's a very scientific way (govt. way)of checking the power and lethality of the gun..
Cheers
Mandeep

goga
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Air pistol license

Post by goga » Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:41 pm

Hi,
Is license required for air pistol in India ?
If yes, which type of Air pistol are license free.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:47 pm

Unless it's an exceptionally powerful air-pistol you do not need an Arms Licence for it.

There isn't a single air-pistol in India, that I have come across, that would need an arms licence.

Rottmeister
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Rottmeister » Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:28 pm

Then what about the co2 powered S&W or the Beretta copies? Do they need a license? If not, then can a person import them through courier?
The clash of honor calls -
To stand, when others fall.

indian
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by indian » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:18 pm

as Mack The Knife had earlier mentioned,they dont need a license unless they are exceptionally powerful and i think that the S&W and beretta copies are not that powerful :)

Rottmeister
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Rottmeister » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:23 pm

Indian, that answers the first part of my question. Pls guide me on the second part. Regards.

pkjeetesh
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by pkjeetesh » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:39 pm

did read something about the HC quashing this section of the GSR related to airguns after Maneka Gandhi's case....her call for arresting those selling airguns...im not too clear/sure...reason i dread fully reading such things...for fear of my hobby being robbed...yet if someone can throw some light on this...i'll manage to read

Rottmeister
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Rottmeister » Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:36 pm

Please suggest a place where I can find a little more detailed info on this topic.

tirths
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by tirths » Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:45 pm

Hi All,
This might find you interesting :p

http://www.indlii.org/JudgementDetail.a ... entID=2978

Rottmeister
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Rottmeister » Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:44 pm

Tirth, one fool and irresponsible airhead is not the representative of an entire community. Owning a gun doesn't necessarily imply that one has to be trigga'-happy.

jimgun
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by jimgun » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:33 pm

just joined new..
does speed limit of air rifles really matter??
what about imported air rifles& its speed limit..

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:27 am

jimgun

Check earlier posts the custom guys can conduct a power test not sure about the pellet speed. Also guns purchased in UK or Europe are calibrated at lower power other experienced members can also guide you.

best