Fate of additional shooter's weapons

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Fate of additional shooter's weapons

Post by aadhaulya » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:24 am

Another question...

Till quite recently NRAI members were allowed an additional .22 rifle for target practice (or so I understand). Besides, if one becomes a 'Renowned Shooter' he is allowed to import two additional weapons of that category. And renowned shooters can own upto a maximum of 10 weapons (including the 3 normally allowed).

Now that the 4th weapon for NRAI members has been disallowed. My question is that what happens to the 4th weapon of the people who already own 4 weapons under the earlier scheme.
Also, if one owns 10 weapons as a renowned shooter and he stops shooting, there is a restriction on sale of these weapons also for a certain number of years. In this case what happens.

When the restriction of 3 weapons per head was introduced in India, people were given time to sell off their additional weapons or deposit the same with the police after the lapse of that time period. Every body had to comply to the rules and there was no other way around.

I would like yo know what do the rules say regarding the scenario quoted above for sport shooters, once he stops shooting. Also some NRAI members who are not shooters but own 4 weapons.

Regards

For Advertising mail webmaster
AgentDoubleS
Poster of the month - Apr 2015
Poster of the month - Apr 2015

Re: Fate of additional shooter's weapons

Post by AgentDoubleS » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:22 am

The 4th firearm, a .22 rifle can be owned as per the Arms Act. Where did you find the information the law has been amended to 'disallow' it?

Regards,
SS

P.s IIRC it was not just for NRAI members, but any district rifle club too.

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:58 am

@SS, This is what read here as per the new notification issued by the MHA on 04-08-2015. In this notification the category of Rifle Club Members has been removed or so it seems.
http://indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php ... 14#p219119

I would also like a clarification on the same.But I think my understanding is correct.

Regards

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:04 pm

A notification cannot amend an Act of parliament, only an ordinance can do so and that too has limitations.

Please read section 3 of the Arms Act - in totality! It is via amendments to this section that the 3 gun limit was placed and it is within this section that you will find the clause that allows any member of a rifle association recognised by the central govt. to keep an additional (over & above the limit of 3) 22 rifle for the purpose of target practice. There has been no amendments made which have in any way affected this section.

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:06 pm

For an up to date version of the Arms Act and Rules, see http://indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php?t=1474
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:12 pm

This is good news. But are the Babu's following this rule? I will go down to the LA next week to find out those guys opinion.
After all they have to believe it to give me an addition of the .22 rifle

Regards

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:14 pm

The basic question still remains that if a renowned shooter stops shooting can he still retain his additional weapons legally.

Regards

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:23 pm

aadhaulya wrote:The basic question still remains that if a renowned shooter stops shooting can he still retain his additional weapons legally.

Regards
Where is the legal problem as long as the licensing authority is renewing his arms licenses? The day the licensing authority refuses to renew the license he can approach either High Court or Supreme Court.
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:41 pm

(y) Got it. That is what i wanted to know. Thanks

Regards