AL renewal

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
StampMaster
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

AL renewal

Post by StampMaster » Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:51 pm

Dear IFGians,

Hope all of you are doing great.

My AL is up for renewal late next month (April 2015). When is an appropriate time to submit for renewal?

And a news I have heard from my fellow AL holders from my district is the license authority is delaying the renewal process intentionally so they can expect the holders to cough up some money. I am not aware of any rules or Turn-Around-Time for renewal, if not done the same can be reported to higher authority or court (not sure to whom the complaint has to be escalated).

Thanks you for your support.

Regards
StampMaster
”Criminals love gun control; it makes their jobs safer.”

For Advertising mail webmaster
goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: AL renewal

Post by goodboy_mentor » Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:26 pm

Please refer Rule 54 of Arms Rules.

You must be getting some kind of receipt for renewal. Let him take his time. The usual excuse in government offices is that they are overburdened with work.

No point in making complaints unless you have solid proof of demanding bribes.
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:25 pm

:agree:
Do not pay any bribe to anyone. Once you have the receipt for your license it does not matter how long they take to renew it.

Regards

andy_65_in
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by andy_65_in » Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:04 pm

Do take a receipt in case these chaps hold your licence for renewal,preferably make it yourself andmake them sign it

Anand
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Anand » Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:33 am

The normal procedure is to accept the renewal papers up to a maximum of 3 months in advance of the expiry date. So I say your good to go now. Here we now have a form for renewal to be submitted along with the required fee and latest copies of address and Id proof. The LA can take as mush time as they want, citing what ever reason for the delay!! :shock: :roll: But if you go and make a couple of chakkars and visit them a few times, they may be willing to pull out your file from underneath all the others and process it faster.
Regards,
Anand

StampMaster
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by StampMaster » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:17 am

Thank you all for the help and guidance..

Can I keep the rifle with myself or should i deposit it with the dealer when I submit for renewal?

I had to deposit it coz of MLC elections yesterday.

A person from DM/SP office asked me to deposit it with a arms dealer before submitting for renewal. And my arms dealer suggests me to take it home before submitting for renewal. I am not sure what to do. :?:

Thanks in advance.

Edit: I am from Telangana State.
Last edited by StampMaster on Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:54 am

Dear StampMaster,

There is no need to deposit your rifle for the purpose of renewal. At least that is the rule in Haryana and I am sure it would be the same all over India.

Regards

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:21 pm

Strictly speaking if law is implemented correctly, you do not either need to deposit arms before or during renewal or elections.

The usual modus operandi of government before elections is most probably, to issue illegal order for blanket deposit of arms under CrPC, incorrectly referring to Election Commission order. Most people avoid approaching High Court immediately and are left with no option but to comply with CrPC orders or face consequences. Neither CrPC allows blanket deposit nor does Election Commission order allows. As per Election Commission order only three category of persons are to reviewed and then decided if arms of any of these require deposit. Election Commission Order is discussed in the following thread http://indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php ... 92#p158088
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992

StampMaster
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by StampMaster » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:13 pm

Right said Goodboy_mentor, my dad was on tour when he received a call from the local police station to deposit. Dad was back just a day before the last day of election and had to forcefully deposit.

I tried to convince my dad to talk to the DM/SP at the least for exemption before depositing (50-50% probability) but my dad didnt want to take the chance as my AL is for renewal. And going to court is a painful process and have to give up to the bureaucracy... :oops:

Well, I wanted to know if I can get back my rifle before submitting for renewal or should i keep it deposited (in this case I cannot get it back until I get my license back with stamp for renewal), coz both the people - from DM office and my arms dealer say contradict.

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:09 am

Arms license is issued for purposes that includes the right of private defense. The right of private defense is not limited to use of bare hands only. The Supreme Court has clearly laid down the importance and value of right of private defense in any civilized society in Darshan Singh vs State Of Punjab & Anr on 15 January, 2010. Complete judgment can be read and understood at http://indiankanoon.org/doc/1748156/

By no stretch of imagination, the inalienable right of self defense or right of private defense can get extinguished due the renewal of arms license or due to elections.

Depositing gun before or during elections is against the law.

Depositing gun before or during renewal is against the law.

For whatever reasons if the gun has been deposited, it is lawful to get it back.

How you want to do it, you will have to decide.

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:38 am

StampMaster wrote:Right said Goodboy_mentor, my dad was on tour when he received a call from the local police station to deposit. Dad was back just a day before the last day of election and had to forcefully deposit.

I tried to convince my dad to talk to the DM/SP at the least for exemption before depositing (50-50% probability) but my dad didnt want to take the chance as my AL is for renewal. And going to court is a painful process and have to give up to the bureaucracy... :oops:

Well, I wanted to know if I can get back my rifle before submitting for renewal or should i keep it deposited (in this case I cannot get it back until I get my license back with stamp for renewal), coz both the people - from DM office and my arms dealer say contradict.
StampMaster, every one likes to avoid going to court. But there a simpler option as mentioned by you.

I did not deposit my guns during the Elections of 2014. I spoke to a lot of people in the LA but was told that there was way around and I had to deposit my guns. Then I wrote an application to the LA mentioning that since the License is for 'Personal Protection' I may be exempted from depositing my guns.
Though, I did not have too much hope of this happening, as the same people had refused me earlier. but to my surprise I got a call from the LA after a few days to collect my letter of 'Exemption from depositing the guns'. It had conditions that I could keep it at home and carry it to my place of work. It could not be carried to any public gathering, political rally or any other notified area during the period.

so I realized that the best way to try it yourself, as public opinion on any subject is generally hearsay.

Regards

Anand
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Anand » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:22 pm

Congratulations on your exemption being granted. Although it seems that just showing the exemptions given by the EC should have been sufficient to stop the Police from bothering a licensee, the procedure I went though (which is mentioned some where else) involved showing the EC exemption to the LA and then getting an exemption from the the LA and CC letters to the concerned SHO. My LA's exemption did not limit the areas that I could carry.
Regards,
Anand

sallu
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by sallu » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:24 am

Please needs urgent guidence
i have all U.P licence(Pistol) and now residing in mumbai since last some years , as its my renewal time and now they are asking for aadhar card , which i have but i have made it in mumbai
please let me know can i submit that as it has mumbai address

StampMaster
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by StampMaster » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:40 pm

Thanks you all.

I am yet to submit my AL for renewal, and the prescribed format - form is available http://www.hyderabadpolice.gov.in/licen ... icense.htm http://www.hyderabadpolice.gov.in/Forms ... %20III.pdf. However, I could not figure out what to submit in form III. It does not ask for my details in it, except very minor details. So how should I be applying the renewal- On white paper addressing to the AL authority of my district/city with details and renewal request?