I will Be travelling To Delhi via Dubai from SFO....

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
lvlann
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

I will Be travelling To Delhi via Dubai from SFO....

Post by lvlann » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:42 am

I wish to bring with me my Black Firing Gun which in no way can ever shoot projectiles.
Link to the gun: http://www.airgundepot.com/blank-gun-mo ... istol.html

I will be travelling via Emirates from San Francisco-Dubai-Delhi. Delhi being my final destination. What documents (if any) should I be carrying with me? Is it at all possible to carry the pistol with me (as a check in of course).

I need as detailed information as possible please. Do I need to declare that I have a "weapon"? DO i need to carry any forms? Does my bag in which my gun will be stored, need to be unlocked so the TSA can open and check it? Will the customs in India bother me for it? Will I be paying any duty on the gun? Will the customs in India allow me to take the gun?

This is my first time carrying a gun and I'm a little hesitant. I have spoken to a few people and half of them tell me it is ok to bring a gun and half of them tell me it is not...

Please help me, your help will be greatly appreciated.

Warm Regards
Aman

For Advertising mail webmaster
Anand
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: I will Be travelling To Delhi via Dubai from SFO....

Post by Anand » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:21 pm

You will have to contend with the laws of the country of origin, transit and destination and also airline regulations. As far as the USA is concerned certain blank firing and replica guns cannot be shipped from within the US to places like NY city and 5 burroughs, Chicago IL, and some North Eastern States. I don't know if San Francisco is one of them. If there is a restriction on shipping such items to SF then you may presume that there will be some difficulties(read: face questioning, show the item etc.) you may face (even if it is lawful).
I have passed through Chicago O'Hare in 1997 with a checked in blank firing gun. I did not declare it as it was not a firearm. However, I was asked to open my baggage to show the item to airport security (TSA did not exist then), which after I did, they let me repack my bag and continue my journey. Next, I was also paged in Frankfurt, and asked to identify my baggage, and asked to open it for the authorities to examine, again I was let off after examination. Did not have any issue with Indian Customs.
In 1998 Again, I brought another blank firing gun via L.A-Kuala Lumpur -Madras no questions anywhere.
In 2001 March brought an air pistol (metal Makarov copy) after declaring at check in via Detroit no problems anywhere.
In 2003 April, was carrying an Airsoft S&W Model 10 Revolver,Airsoft CZ75B, and an Airsoft HK MP5. None were declared but had a lot of trouble in Detroit due to also carrying C02 Cylinders(by then they had become strictly no carry) and after a lengthy interview by the TSA,FBI and Immigration( which caused me to miss my flight) was let off, and the red flag was apparently that I had a one way ticket, and was carrying the C02 cylinders. The thing is, I was told that you can still carry them on board checked in, but will require special packaging and paperwork, I am not so sure that is true now. Anyway, the missus was none too happy! For the inconvenience she faced, She gets to do what ever she wants for the rest of my life!!!
My guess is that now a days anything can happen. Just because you are legal, does'nt ensure that you will not be hassled.
Regards,
Anand