Applying for a Licence for .22 LR for Target Shooting

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
ankur_ank007

Applying for a Licence for .22 LR for Target Shooting

Post by ankur_ank007 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:05 pm

Dear Learned Friends,

My name is Ankur Srivastava, residing currently in Gandhinagar, Gujarat. I am a permanent resident of Lucknow however after the death of my parents almost 12 years ago; I rarely visit my hometown, as there is nothing much left apart from immovable assets and a house. I am working in Ahmedabad and I reside here in Gandhinagar since March 2014 in a rented apartment. I work on the position of Manager- International Purchase in an MNC and have a regular source of income through salary (as sought by Inquiry Officers often).
I am residing in Gandhinagar now and have minimum movement to Lucknow since there is nobody residing from my family, however my uncles and their family still reside in our ancestral home but I am having some property dispute with them. However, this has nothing to do with this query now but in case there is any enquiry at my permanent residential address, my uncles may give false information as we have old property disputes still pending. They have also been threatening me and my wife for our inter-cast marriage in 2013 and have been using cheap techniques to harass us mentally.
I own a couple of airguns and I have been shooting since long as a hobby however I have never participated in any professional shooting competitions at national, international or state level.
I want to get a licence for .22 LR rifle for target practice shooting and I want to apply it from Gandhinagar? Do I need to show them some kind of documentary evidence that I need to procure licence and gun only for target shooting like any kind of competition participation certificate or anything else?
What can be the process that I should follow to get a licence for .22 LR rifle for target shooting? What will be the standard procedure that licensing authorities follow while scrutinizing an application in this category and what procedure and documentation should I follow?

Please suggest, so that I can proceed with the same.

For Advertising mail webmaster
Chandan22
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: Applying for a Licence for .22 LR for Target Shooting

Post by Chandan22 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:44 pm

Hi,

You can apply and quote target shooting as the reason. I did the same in Delhi and got my licence within a total time period of 2 months.
However, before that I made lots of preparations like taking membership of the local rifle club, of NRAI and also participated in a state championship, which is open to all residents of the state. I plan to participate in competitions as soon as I get my firearms, or even with borrowed ones in the interim. That was the whole objective and that is how I presented my case.

My suggestion is that you go to the Rifle Club Ahmedabad and get membership there. That is not a big deal and the cops will only verify your current address and criminal record, or lack thereof. Once there, try to participate in any competition or two, and also get NRAI membership. Then you have credible standing that you really want to enjoy the sport of shooting and are not using it as an excuse. Then apply for a licence and hope for the best.

More relevant information would be possible with members from ahmedabad i guess..

~C

ankur_ank007

Re: Applying for a Licence for .22 LR for Target Shooting

Post by ankur_ank007 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:23 pm

(y)