Air Pistols

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
ianbom
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Air Pistols

Post by ianbom » Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:08 pm

Dear All,

I would like to share my experience on this topic.

I own a BLANCA 0.177 calibre Air Pistol, one manufactured in Bangalore. Unfortunately the sales for this product is good in the Mumbai Arms market but finding replinishment as far as pellets and BB's is tough.

The Arms dealers claim that NO LICENCE REQUIRED while buying a Air Rfile / Pistol. But the cops really put you into a tough time if they figure out that you are carrying one and they try to put one into a tight spot over the same.

Would like to know from any of the members if there are any procedures / guidelines / rules for carrying of Air Guns ?

Please help me.....

For Advertising mail webmaster
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:38 pm

Ianbom,

Whilst a licence is not required for an air-pistol carrying it around in a public place is just begging for trouble.

Mack The Knife

ianbom
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Re: Air Pistols

Post by ianbom » Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:48 pm

Hi Mack The Knife,

I was carrying it in my bag, uncocked and unloaded. Though left with a warning. I checked with Arms Division, Mumbai Police they say it's your headache tackling the cop who questions you about carrying a Un-licenced Air Gun / Pistol.

Do you know of any regulations / rules / thumb rule for carrying concealed Airguns in Public.

I had to carry this since I had to buy compatible pellets / BB's.

Please reply.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:00 pm

Ianbom,

Even if you were taking the air-pistol to a gunshop or toy shop for more pellets, the police are well within their rights to ask you questions about why you are carrying it about in a public place. The days when we roamed around our colonies with our airguns are long since gone.

I carry my guns to and from the range, gun shops, friends homes etc. and have never had a problem. Why and where were you stopped and searched? Were you passing by a sensitive area or place?

I am not sure if there is law against carrying a concealed airgun in a public place but I would err on the side of caution.

Mack The Knife

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:06 pm

The Bianca is a .177 copy of the old marksman pistol. It is a smoothbore that loads bbs in the tip of the barrel. Since it looks pretty much like a 1911, you should avoid carrying it in public anyway.

***Stick to the subject please.***

Regards,

Dev
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

ianbom
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by ianbom » Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:33 pm

Dear Mack The Knife,
I was stopped by the railway cops at a railway station
Mack The Knife Bana";p="25761 wrote:Ianbom,

Even if you were taking the air-pistol to a gunshop or toy shop for more pellets, the police are well within their rights to ask you questions about why you are carrying it about in a public place. The days when we roamed around our colonies with our airguns are long since gone.

I carry my guns to and from the range, gun shops, friends homes etc. and have never had a problem. Why and where were you stopped and searched? Were you passing by a sensitive area or place?

I am not sure if there is law against carrying a concealed airgun in a public place but I would err on the side of caution.

Mack The Knife

ianbom
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by ianbom » Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:42 pm

Hi Dev,
mine is manufactured in April 2007.
dev";p="25762 wrote:The Bianca is a .177 copy of the old marksman pistol. It is a smoothbore that loads bbs in the tip of the barrel. Since it looks pretty much like a 1911, you should avoid carrying it in public anyway.
I am amazed that yours has lasted beyond hundred shots. My friend bought one and it was lousy and a major disappointment, the cocker would stop working after 20 or so shots.
We exchanged at least three pistols, till the toy shop owner finally asked us to buy something else. You get bbs made by the same company pretty easy. Otherwise you can pick some up in Delhi when you are around next. If not try .177 pellets, since it is so low powered you can also shoot airgun darts from it.
Seems like they have improved on the design since some eight years ago.

Regards,

Dev

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:43 pm

Try an airport next ;-). For heavens sake man use some common sense, you are being evasive with the truth. You were carting it around jlt not to show a gun shop for pellet size. Don't carry it around unless you are going to a range, so that you can get out of trouble by flashing a range membership card.
In today's times it won't take much to attract a few Govt issue .380/9MM rounds in Mumbai or Delhi.

Dev

snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by snIPer » Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:20 pm

Never heard of that brand - can you please post a few pics if possible.
Also if you are caught carrying around an airgun make sure you have a box of pellets to prove to the chap that its a harmless baloon shooting thing (worked for me)
On my Epitaph - Off to Happy Hunting Grounds.

ianbom
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by ianbom » Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:35 am

i here are the pictures

snIPer";p="25777 wrote:Never heard of that brand - can you please post a few pics if possible.
Also if you are caught carrying around an airgun make sure you have a box of pellets to prove to the chap that its a harmless baloon shooting thing (worked for me)

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:37 am

dev";p="25767 wrote:In today's times it won't take much to attract a few Govt issue .380/9MM rounds in Mumbai or Delhi.
Minor correction here - the .380 is the 9mm "Short" a.k.a 9mm Kurz, while the Govt. issue ammo is the 9mm parabellum a.k.a 9mm Luger... That said the point being made is a very valid one, in these troubled times one could unwittingly end up at the wrong end of the barrel being wielded by a trigger happy policeman...
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by snIPer » Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:07 pm

Thanks Ianbom.
Can you please provide more info on this product.

Cost?
where did you buy it?

and how is it to use.
any further info also will be helpful (maintenance etc)

Thanks
On my Epitaph - Off to Happy Hunting Grounds.

ianbom
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by ianbom » Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:23 pm

Hi,

It is manufactured by Blanca Technologies (P) Ltd., Bangalore. Costs Rs.2500/- max. For your local dealers ctc Bangalore office on Tel # 080-28374832.

In Mumbai it is available at PIONEER SPORTS, Mumbai 400 002. Tel # 022-22074664. email [email protected]. Website www.pioneersportsmumbai.com

Regards

Ian.
snIPer";p="25803 wrote:Thanks Ianbom.
Can you please provide more info on this product.

Cost?
where did you buy it?

and how is it to use.
any further info also will be helpful (maintenance etc)

Thanks

ianbom
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by ianbom » Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:29 pm

Dear Abhijeet SIr,

I request you to guide me on this small issue on Arms laws of our country.

1) Air Pistol / Air Gun - NO LICENCE required.

Then why are we prohibited from carrying the same even if it concealed ( totally unseen to the commen man).

Is any type of permit required / can be applied for from the government ?????

Please guide me.

Thanks

Ian.
mundaire";p="25802 wrote:
dev";p="25767 wrote:In today's times it won't take much to attract a few Govt issue .380/9MM rounds in Mumbai or Delhi.
Minor correction here - the .380 is the 9mm "Short" a.k.a 9mm Kurz, while the Govt. issue ammo is the 9mm parabellum a.k.a 9mm Luger... That said the point being made is a very valid one, in these troubled times one could unwittingly end up at the wrong end of the barrel being wielded by a trigger happy policeman...

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:00 pm

Minor correction here - the .380 is the 9mm "Short" a.k.a 9mm Kurz,

I was talking about the police revolver ammo. Isn't that a 380 rimmed or something?

Regards,

Dev