Good Experience With the Licensing Department

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Good Experience With the Licensing Department

Post by aadhaulya » Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:41 am

Hi All,
I had a very good experience with the licensing Department. Allow me to share the details as follows.
The maximum time required was in completing the Application (45 days).
1. Visited the Licensing branch with my application but without the 'Weapon Handling Certificate as I wanted them to process the application and I would submit the Certificate before collecting the License (as I read about a similar case in this forum). The concerned person refused to accept my application without the certificate.
2. Came to know that no weapon handling courses had been conducted by the home guard for quite some time, but after some running around I got myself, my wife and daughter enrolled for the next course coming up after about 10 days. The course costed Rs 1000 each for 5 days and 2 hours each day including 10 rounds of target shooting using a .22 rifle. The Home Guard gave us the Certificates exactly one week after the course got over.
3. I spent another three days going over the application and the Affidavit and attached attested copies of all the information given by me like income proof IT returns, NOC from employer, Office address proofs, medical certificate etc. and according to the Licencing branch officials they had never seen a thicker file.
4. When I reached the Licencing office with my file, they had put up a notice that they were not accepting new applications except for self defense cases. Therefore I had to meet the Joint Commissioner of Police to sign the file and there was a fixed day of the week to meet the JCP for this purpose. I called the JCP on mobile (got the number from the Face Book) from the outer office and was told to wait and see if the JCP had time to see me. Well I waited for 2 hours and got to meet the JCP and the application signed.
5. Submitted my application the next day and then the office was closed for Saturday and Sunday after that.
6. On Monday I visited the office to check on the progress and found nothing had happened the whole afternoon but after I went there they sent the file to the DCP office.
7. On the third day I visited the Local Police station. The file had reached them by that time, I got the number of the person dealing with my file and tied up with him to get my verification done the next day and he promssed to forward the same to the ACP's office the next day.
8. Next working day was Monday and I went to the ACP's office and at the same time my file also reached there. I requested the dealing clerk to give me his number so that I could confirm from him when the file goes to the DCP's office. He started giving his number and half way through he stopped and asked me to wait for half an hour. But within 15 minutes he was back with my file signed by the ACP.
9 The day after that I visited the DCP's office and was informed that the DCP wanted to meet me. Since I had reached there late in the afternoon the DCP had left the office and did not visit the office for two days after that and went off on a 3 days leave. Finally I was able to meet the DCP after one week of the file lying there and finally after meeting me and asking what I do for a living (every body who I met from top to bottom wanted to know that) and the purpose for requiring the weapon, approved the application.
10. Immediately after that I went to the DCP's outer office to request them to forward it to the Licensing branch. It reached the branch in 15 minutes.
11. I decided to meet the JCP and the personal staff to thank them for the fast work done.
12. Next day my Licence was ready, but I had applied for three weapons and they gave me only one Pistol/ Revolver. Now I will go and request them for the remaining two weapons. Let's see how it goes.

I got my License on the 20th day of submitting the application and if we calculate the working days it was 14 working days.

In the whole process the important part is that it was due to my follow up only (probably) as I did not know any one in the administration nor did I involve any politician and did not pay a single paisa bribe, nor was demanded by any one.

For Advertising mail webmaster
xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Good Experience With the Licensing Department

Post by xl_target » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:41 am

aadhaulya wrote:
In the whole process the important part is that it was due to my follow up only (probably) as I did not know any one in the administration nor did I involve any politician and did not pay a single paisa bribe, nor was demanded by any one.
Good for you!

Also, a hearty congratulations on getting your license.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:05 am

Thanks xl_target.

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:12 am

the day will come when all this c*** will be done away with,

Great news, now Enjoy
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:59 am

Hi aadhaulya,

> Congrats on your acquiring the much coveted "Arms Licence" :cheering:
> Hope you get the licence endorsed for the other 2 weapons...
> Patience & Perseverance Pays :D
Cheers
Briha

ARAE
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by ARAE » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:24 am

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
aadhaulya wrote:Hi All,
I had a very good experience with the licensing Department. Allow me to share the details as follows.
The maximum time required was in completing the Application (45 days).
1. Visited the Licensing branch with my application but without the 'Weapon Handling Certificate as I wanted them to process the application and I would submit the Certificate before collecting the License (as I read about a similar case in this forum). The concerned person refused to accept my application without the certificate.
2. Came to know that no weapon handling courses had been conducted by the home guard for quite some time, but after some running around I got myself, my wife and daughter enrolled for the next course coming up after about 10 days. The course costed Rs 1000 each for 5 days and 2 hours each day including 10 rounds of target shooting using a .22 rifle. The Home Guard gave us the Certificates exactly one week after the course got over.
3. I spent another three days going over the application and the Affidavit and attached attested copies of all the information given by me like income proof IT returns, NOC from employer, Office address proofs, medical certificate etc. and according to the Licencing branch officials they had never seen a thicker file.
4. When I reached the Licencing office with my file, they had put up a notice that they were not accepting new applications except for self defense cases. Therefore I had to meet the Joint Commissioner of Police to sign the file and there was a fixed day of the week to meet the JCP for this purpose. I called the JCP on mobile (got the number from the Face Book) from the outer office and was told to wait and see if the JCP had time to see me. Well I waited for 2 hours and got to meet the JCP and the application signed.
5. Submitted my application the next day and then the office was closed for Saturday and Sunday after that.
6. On Monday I visited the office to check on the progress and found nothing had happened the whole afternoon but after I went there they sent the file to the DCP office.
7. On the third day I visited the Local Police station. The file had reached them by that time, I got the number of the person dealing with my file and tied up with him to get my verification done the next day and he promssed to forward the same to the ACP's office the next day.
8. Next working day was Monday and I went to the ACP's office and at the same time my file also reached there. I requested the dealing clerk to give me his number so that I could confirm from him when the file goes to the DCP's office. He started giving his number and half way through he stopped and asked me to wait for half an hour. But within 15 minutes he was back with my file signed by the ACP.
9 The day after that I visited the DCP's office and was informed that the DCP wanted to meet me. Since I had reached there late in the afternoon the DCP had left the office and did not visit the office for two days after that and went off on a 3 days leave. Finally I was able to meet the DCP after one week of the file lying there and finally after meeting me and asking what I do for a living (every body who I met from top to bottom wanted to know that) and the purpose for requiring the weapon, approved the application.
10. Immediately after that I went to the DCP's outer office to request them to forward it to the Licensing branch. It reached the branch in 15 minutes.
11. I decided to meet the JCP and the personal staff to thank them for the fast work done.
12. Next day my Licence was ready, but I had applied for three weapons and they gave me only one Pistol/ Revolver. Now I will go and request them for the remaining two weapons. Let's see how it goes.

I got my License on the 20th day of submitting the application and if we calculate the working days it was 14 working days.

ARAE

StampMaster
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by StampMaster » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:59 pm

Congrats. And the best to get approval for additional ones.

Regards
StampMaster
”Criminals love gun control; it makes their jobs safer.”

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:13 pm

Hearty Congratulations aadhaulya on your perseverance and follow-up! :cheers: and - Very Well Done!
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!

nirgadhavi
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by nirgadhavi » Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:36 pm

congratulations on getting your license :cheers:

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:58 pm

Thank you all for the wonderful wishes. I live in one of the places where it is very difficult to get an arms license. By next week I should be able to give further details. Also 'Chota muh, Badi baat' after all you people are experts in this field, may be my tips on the matter may be of use to some green horns like me.
Regards

Please excuse my writing as I am an Engineer and not a writer. And may never be able to get PM rights, as I can write facts but without colouring the words or descriptions.

dr.jayakumar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dr.jayakumar » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:43 pm

you are one lucky man.
regards
dr.jk

dannyg
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by dannyg » Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:47 am

Hi aadhaulya,

Can you post your email address, I wish to contact you via phone from Canada for advice.

I will contact your email and coordinate with you, if possible.

Thanks in advance!

Safarigent
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Safarigent » Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:40 pm

Purchase a handgun and then apply for addition.
To Excellence through Diligence.

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:10 pm

Sorry for the late reply. Had to get admitted to a Hospital, now I am back and luckily nothing serious

@ dannyg my mail id is (Please do not give your contact details on the public forum for your own security.-Moderator)

@ safariagent I have purchased a .22 revolver as it was not expensive and a 2014 make new revolver was available off the shelf. Now I am going to take permission to sell it and hope to get a IOF pistol soon.
I had already applied for the addition of two weapons on my license. The application moved slower than expected, may be due to my lax follow up. Now it was held up in the DCP office for about 40 days, due to the election code of conduct. But I am hoping it would be approved and reach the LA by tomorrow.
Hoping for the best.

Regards

shadow
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by shadow » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:23 pm

Congratulations Aadhaulya!

Cheers!!
"Tourists are terrorists with cameras. Terrorists are tourists with guns.”