Any foreign national successful with Tourist Firearm permit?

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
dannyg
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Any foreign national successful with Tourist Firearm permit?

Post by dannyg » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:25 pm

Hey guys,

Based in Canada, never been a Indian citizen but am looking to bring my "Glock 31 - .357 SIG" with me temporarily in February; I will be coming for a month or so.

Has anyone had any success down that avenue? What's the process?

I'm going to visit the Consular General here but if that isn't a viable route, can someone refer me to a lawyer in Delhi who can get it done from the ground there.

Plan on landing in Delhi, but staying in Punjab.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

For Advertising mail webmaster
nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Any foreign national successful with Tourist Firearm per

Post by nagarifle » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:27 pm

hi dannyg
welcome to the forum, please do take the time introduce yourself in the intro section for the forum. as we are a very funny lot here and do not like to give answers otherwise.

any way, you going to have hard time, if you have not seen the other posts regarding this then should check em out as this question has been asked few times.
if you come to a shooting event then may be. other wise leave it at the customs and pay duties for them to look after it for you, and on your way out pick it up.
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:21 pm

danny,
Please pay careful attention to this; there is no such thing as a tourist permit.
As Naga says, there might be some dispensations if you were a professional coming to attend a scheduled event. Otherwise, don't even think about it.
If you get caught trying to bring a firearm into India, you are going to jail. It is as simple as that.
There is an actual documented case of an American bringing a handgun in and getting caught. I think he's still in jail.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

dannyg
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by dannyg » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:07 am

Thanks for the quick replies guys.

I've read the posts about "Transfer of Residence", but upon reading on other sites I came across something that refers to a "Bonafide Tourist" being able to apply 6 months prior to landing and being able to import legally for up to 6 months stay.

I'm sure even this process will be chaotic to say the least and expensive, but I'd love to hit up ranges in India; its always a plus learning a new process.

I'm going to visit the CG here, coincidently I know someone who's related to one posted here. If that doesn't pan out, I will need help on the ground in Delhi to file papers etc; which I'm more than willing to shell out for.

What would the process be? What application form would one need to fill, where would one submit and where does it go from there? Can I apply or get it all done in Punjab?

Surely there must be someone out there that has successfully done it.....

I did speak to Abhijeet a few months ago about TR, but that won't apply to me. Any input will be greatly appreciated!

dannyg
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by dannyg » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:18 am

I took some screen shots of the 3 forms/information I found online, none offers any relationship to professionals etc. Maybe you guys can make more sense of it.....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:09 am

having said all that i believe that if one is able to get a license first then no problems, well that is the problem getting a licnece.
what i think may happen is that[ please do not take it as gospel] if one declared it at customs and asked for a tourist license then they will hold the item for you and have a jolly old deep down bally hugging laugh and tell you to get a license or pick it up on the way back. best case serniro

worst case, a lengthy interview with the dumb cops, going round and round in circles.

Get the License in place first, then it should not be too difficult to bring an arm [leg]into INDIA
Nagarifle

dannyg
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by dannyg » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:26 am

From what I've read on various pages, the process is as follows;

-ensure firearm is NPB
-submit application from abroad
-receive permit to import while still abroad
-present permit to import once arrived in Delhi. They will document in my passport on the visa the firearm type, any/all magazines, and ammo I've brought. They will also make me sign papers acknowledging I cannot sell or loan the firearm to anyone.
-entry is granted immediately
-upon leaving India at airport, customs will verify everything documented in my passport is in fact leaving the country.

I plan to receive the permit before I depart Canada, to ensure a seamless process but I can't figure out which forms to fill and where to submit them. If they have to be submitted in Delhi, I need a lawyer or someone familiar with the process to help me with this.

I'm hoping someone here can help with this process or provide any support/information, or referral to a lawyer.....

farook
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by farook » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:53 am

Danny

As a tourist you can bring in one weapon of a non prohibited bore with a maximum of 50 ammo. Please deposit your weapon with the customs and apply for the license. Please note that the weapon can be in India for a max of 6 months from the date of arrival. This topic has been discussed here under transfer of residence....http://indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=22043
Nothing has shaped the history more than a Gun

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:01 pm

was't there one chap from the USA who wanted to the same and he began to bombard the local Indian embassy with fax email etc, i think he quited after few months.

like all things in India, procedure is written and simple to understand, by Jove try to get in working in nigh on impossible. all the best.

as for shooting ranges in India? like what? not easy to get into unless someone recommended you and they had a committed meeting. waste of time.
Nagarifle

farook
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by farook » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:39 pm

I am not sure what the reason was for him to bombard the embassy. A temporary license can be got when coming into India many of my clients have got it and quite easily

Just to give you one example of how sensitive the cops are about tourist security. About 300 meters from my home an american lady was leaving a restaurant after dinning there. As she was unable to start her two wheeler for some time she called the police control room asking for help. With in minutes a police jeep came and helped her. Ever since the Delhi bus case the police have got very cautious about safety of women, particularly the tourists when they don't dress appropriately....
Nothing has shaped the history more than a Gun

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:23 pm

who gives those temp licenses?
Nagarifle

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:14 pm

nagarifle wrote:was't there one chap from the USA who wanted to the same and he began to bombard the local Indian embassy with fax email etc, i think he quited after few months.

like all things in India, procedure is written and simple to understand, by Jove try to get in working in nigh on impossible. all the best.

as for shooting ranges in India? like what? not easy to get into unless someone recommended you and they had a committed meeting. waste of time.
I'll be very surprised if dannyg is able to get this accomplished.
While nothing is impossible; when dealing with Indian bureaucrats, many things are improbable.
Please keep us informed, dannyg
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

spin_drift
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by spin_drift » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:19 pm

Danny,

Submit a RTI query with the Indian Embassy or High Commission requesting to get a procedure and forms for applying for a license and see what they tell you.

refer to: http://www.hciottawa.ca/pages.php?id=140
I believe in second chances… it’s called reloading

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:23 am

and the High Commission will come back if asked why they have not responded after 28 days, " not our thing you know, have sent it to MHA Delhi and waiting for their response." its the SOP in action.

Also RTI is not open to everyone as everyone is not considered a citizen etc
Nagarifle