Ammo Quota / Ammo permit

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
babaralig
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Ammo Quota / Ammo permit

Post by babaralig » Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:37 pm

Hi ! Friends,

I am trap shooter and life member National Rifle Association of India (NRAI) and Member of Come and play Scheme by Sports Authority of India.

I am regularly practicing at Dr. Karni Shooting Range New Delhi. My license has ammunition limit of 10 cartridges per day and 100 cartridges per year (license is issued from Rampur U.P), because of this I am facing problems. NRAI gives 125 cartridges per day to its member for practice, since my license has a limit of 10 cartridges per day so I am not able to buy ammunition from NRAI.

I wish to get my ammunition limit increased to 125 cartridges per day and 5000 cartridges per year. Can some suggest how to get it done.

Regards

Babar Khan :deadhorse:

For Advertising mail webmaster
nm
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Ammo Quota / Ammo permit

Post by nm » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:58 pm

I have heard, NRAI has started selling ammo at range without entering in your license....
As usual, They will take back the empties same day.

babaralig
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Re: Ammo Quota / Ammo permit

Post by babaralig » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:35 am

NO, NRAI need licence even at range to issue ammo.

miroflex
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by miroflex » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:52 pm

You may apply to the licensing authority for an increase in your quota, giving the same reasons you have mentioned in your original post.

All the best.
"To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived." Sherlock Holmes in "The Adventure Of The Copper Beeches" by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

babaralig
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by babaralig » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:47 am

have already applied to the licensing authority about month back, have meet him personelly but no reply yet..

sa_ali
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by sa_ali » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:16 pm

The only way is that you put application with the authority with your membership details and also attaach certificates of any competition state or national level attached along.

babaralig
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by babaralig » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:32 pm

the application was given to the licensing authority on 20.06.2014 with the following documents

1. Copy Of Life membership Card NRAI
2. Copy of SAI Come & play membership card
3. Copy of NRAI shooter's ID card
4. Copy of UPSRA shooter's ID card
5. Various certificate for district level & state level shooting competitions
6. Copy of special permits issued to other fellow shooters for their respective licensing authorities
7. Copy of news papers cuttings mentioning my name among the prize winners.
8. Proof of regular practice (Copy of rent paid receipts for 12 bore Gun)
9. Copy of Arms License.

first the file was approved of City magistrate, then ADM city and then by district sports officer, now the DM has asked a report from some Abhojan Adhikari. The DM is delaying on one pretext or the other, I am losing my patience now since it has been 2 months of regular follow up, as I have to participate in U.P state going to be help on 17th september 2014, almost no time for practise.

Can someone advise the further course of action please.

babaralig
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by babaralig » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:30 pm

finally three months of hard work paid, got the special ammunition permit today.

StampMaster
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by StampMaster » Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:21 pm

Hi,

As there are already so many threads in this regards- Ammo Quota. I didnt plan to start another.

Can the seniors and legal experts in Arms Act please educate me on the ammo quota for individuals, applied for AL under personal protection category.

I want to know, Ammo Quota depends on regions (District/state wise) or is there anything specified in Act on the limit. My previous limit for DBBL/Rifle is 50/100 per annum. And the maximum permitted by LA without submitting any additional certificates from NRAI, competition participation etc.

And I request if we can have a single thread about this ammo limit in different state/area.

Thanks
”Criminals love gun control; it makes their jobs safer.”

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:02 am

StampMaster,
MHA has tried to streamline the quota limit and with the result that all over India they are supposed to give a quota of 25/50 rounds per weapon and it is happening in all the places that I know of. As per the new rules proposed by MHA they plan to increase it to 50/ 100 in a year. Off course if you need more or run out of ammo you have to apply for an additional quota.
Also if you are a member of 'Delhi State Rifle Association' there is no limit of ammo for use at the range. But the empty shells and unused ammo has to be returned the same day.

Atul

StampMaster
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by StampMaster » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:24 pm

Atul ji this 50/100 per annum quota reminds of the new draft. And as per streamline of quota going, my previous 3 plus year old DBBL/Rifle has the same endorsed. However, I see no law or act in the ammo quota.

As there is some unwritten law that we're being governed LA or DM has some authority on the ammo quota (I think it is a max of 250/500, I may be wrong) above which we need to prove the purpose with necessary documents like competition participation and a letter from sports secretary etc.

So if I have to MAKE A WISH and me being modest and not providing any docs, what quota I can ask for.

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:03 am

StampMaster,

As per the 'ARMS AND AMMUNITION POLICY FOR INDIVIDUALS' issued by the MHA in 2010 is being followed by the LA's the copy is attached
MHA POLICY ON ARMS LISENCE OLD.pdf
Para 14 clarifies the Ammo quota allowed. It is reproduced below
14. Quantity of ammunition permitted under various categories - At present, a holder of a PB arms licence is allowed to purchase 50 cartridges of ammunition per annum subject to the condition that not more than 30 cartridges can be purchased at a time. In respect of NPB weapons, the State Governments are following different norms and are allowing different quantities of ammunition. It has been decided to prescribe a uniform norm and allow 50 cartridges of the appropriate bore per annum in respect of PB and NPB weapons held by licensees. However, in respect of PB and NPB weapons allowed under the family heirloom policy, the quantity of ammunition will be restricted to 30 cartridges per annum since, ordinarily, there is no threat to the legal heir and the weapon is transferred to him on sentimental grounds. A higher quantity of ammunition will be allowable on merits in exceptional cases for good and sufficient reasons to be given by the licensee, with the approval of Secretary (Home Department) of the State concerned. It has also been decided that each State Government may prescribe reporting on use of ammunition by the licensee and devise reporting mechanism under which each licensee may keep a record of the use of ammunition with him such as (i) date of use, (ii) place, (iii) number of bullets fired and (iv) purpose. The licensee may report use of ammunition during the previous year before purchase of ammunition in the current year to the authority concerned as per procedure to be prescribed by the State Government. Thus, the quantity of ammunition in a year shall be limited to the use of the ammunition in the previous year so that the total quantity with a licensee shall not exceed the prescribed quantity at any time. For example, if a licensee under the threat perception category had not used any ammunition in the previous year against the quota of 50 cartridges, no fresh quota for the current year will be admissible. The State Governments may issue appropriate instructions to the licensees and all the arms dealers in the State in this regard. A report on the use of ammunition by licensees may be sent by each DM to the State Government concerned on a quarterly basis and a consolidated report may be sent by the State Government to MHA on an annual basis.
Hence, now days LA's all over India are supposed to give a quota of a max 50 rounds per year.

Atul
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:05 am

Ammunition quota is usually on the whims and fancies of LA. A simple application for increase in quota for target practice used to serve increase of quota. Arms and Ammunition Policy has no force of law. It is just an executive order or guideline. Licensing authorities may not follow it. Following Supreme Court orders can be read at http://indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17298
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992

StampMaster
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by StampMaster » Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:05 pm

Thank you and I totally agree with you GBM saab. However, if you can mention a number here would be of great help.

As mentioned about the unwritten laws, such highly literate bureaucrats cant figure out the difference between law, MHA guidelines, oral warning etc given by politicians and higher ups?

Or they just think it easy to tackle common man than argue with the babu's.

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:07 pm

StampMaster wrote:Thank you and I totally agree with you GBM saab. However, if you can mention a number here would be of great help.
Sir, the number of cartridges depends on what you feel convinced yourself and feel confident to convince the LA. For example if you are a member of rifle club and shoot regularly, you may ask for yearly quota of 12,000 (provided the LA does not get convulsions on reading this number). You may justify the number by saying you fire 1000 cartridges every month, that is why you need yearly quota of 12,000. If for some reason the LA does not agree to 12,000, most probably will agree to some slightly lower number. If you are not member of rifle club you may try some lower number. Basically it boils down to how much you will be able to convince the LA and how much reasonable is the LA.
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992