QUERY || Permission for possession of Khukuri knife

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
bhasker
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

QUERY || Permission for possession of Khukuri knife

Post by bhasker » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:40 am

Gentlemen,

I am beginning this thread, since I am not able to find out the correct rules and procedures required to purchase and possess a Khukuri.
I am really confused with all the topics on Internet in regard to this. Kindly throw a light on this topic.

I am a 20 year old student studying at Bangalore. I am an aspirant to join the Indian Army and have earned my NCC "C" Certificate. My father is an Air Force officer. I have been greatly influenced by the gallants and bravery of the soldiers of Gorkha Rifles. Hence, I wished to purchase a Khukuri Knife.

Though I have contacted on of the sellers in Dehradun to purchase a Khukuri, but he has also informed about the risks involved in purchasing and then transporting a Khukuri without the proper permissions.
Hence, I checked the rules and regulations with a Police Inspector in Bangalore City Police. He told me that an Arms License is compulsory for possession of Knife beyond 9 inch length. Further, telling me that I should also refer to Arms Act 1959 and I should obtain an Arms License before purchasing the Khukuri, in order to avoid any troubles in future.
I approached the Arms Licensing Department of Bangalore City Police. They constantly argued and opposed that an Arms License cannot be granted for a Knife. The Incharge Superintendent and other officials of the Arms Licensing Department constantly opposed me for this and did not agree to accept any applications for grant of Arms License.
I felt bad about this and hence approached the Additional Commisioner of Police (Administration). He is the overall incharge of the Arms Licensing Department. He was a real gentlemen and he also checked in his Law Books if a Arms License for a Khukuri can be granted. He confirmed that it can actually be granted. He called one of the officials of Arms Licensing Department and asked him to accept my application. The official asked me my age. I informed him that I am 20 years old. He told according to Arms Act you should be atleast 21 years old to apply for an Arms License. He further told me that we will go by Arms Act and we wont deviate from it.
My application was finally accepted a week ago, and a police verification is under process right now.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My questions are:

1) What are the necessary permissions required to purchase and possess a 11 inch Khukuri Knife ? (Kindly explain all the rules and regulations in full detail).

2) Do I really need to apply for an Arms License for Khukuri ? If yes, can an Arms License be granted for a Khukuri ?
3) Why am I facing so much of criticism from the Arms Licensing Department, even though it is very clear that as per the provisions of Arms Act,1959, an Arms License can be granted for a Khukuri ?

4) What should I do further to get an Arms License for a Khukuri ? How can I convince these officials to grant me an Arms License ?

Thanks and Regards,
Bhasker Sharma

For Advertising mail webmaster
discovershashank
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: QUERY || Permission for possession of Khukuri knife

Post by discovershashank » Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:32 am

So, how is the verification going?
A knife makes me feel stronger, keeps my temper down and gives me the courage to fight for the right. If I am wrong, don't correct me...

aruncheloor
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by aruncheloor » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:27 pm

Hi,

Did you actually get an arms licence for a knife? How did the whole process went? Please enlighten us..

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:01 am

any tools that are classified as agri tools are exempt from the act. why not check out the arms act etc

V.
Arms other than fire-arms: Sharp-edged and deadly weapons, namely: swords (including sword-stick), daggers, bayonets, spears (including lances and javelins); battle-axes, knives (including kirpans a Khukries and other such weapons with blades longer than 9" or wider than 2" other than those designed for domestic, agricultural, scientific or industrial purpose, steel baton; "Zipo" and other such weapons called "life preserves"; machinery for making arms other than category II; and any other arms which the Central Government may notify under Sec. 4.
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

AnandNair
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by AnandNair » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:47 am

Hello Bhasker. Join the Gorkha Rifles and live among kukhris :D
Jai Maha Kali, Ayo Gorkhali
Some learn by reading. A few by observation. The rest of 'em have to pee on the electric fence.

aruncheloor
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by aruncheloor » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:57 pm

Yes. Its confirmed. You don't need a licence for a sword or kukri etc [Arms of Category 5] unless section 4 is imposed on your area by the central govt. That means no licences for a sword etc can be given by the licensing authority under normal circumstances.