Returning on TR

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
archer
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Returning on TR

Post by archer » Mon May 12, 2014 11:15 am

I am working towards buying my first firearm and returning back with it on TR in about 2 years time. Am looking at 22lr right now as i am a member ar MRA, Mumbai and have access to 22s .

Kimber rimfire
http://www.kimberamerica.com/1911/rimfi ... get-silver

Ruger Mark iii
http://www.ruger.com/products/markIIISt ... odels.html

Colt Govt model
http://www.waltherarms.com/products/tac ... 3BcjvldU00

Your thoughts??
Yeh dil maange more.....!!!

For Advertising mail webmaster
marksman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: Returning on TR

Post by marksman » Mon May 12, 2014 1:50 pm

archer,
After Studying all the details of all three handguns, I would go for Waltherarms 1911 .22LR if I were you. That is IF you have already made up your mind to choose out of these three only. The reason being ALL STEEL Frame (not sure of slide though)and interchangeability of innards if ever the need be. Also the rest two are made of alloys which I don't much care for. The only thing I disliked in Colt was that independent wire spring probably to prop up the slide stop to lock it after the last round is fired. Just My Humble Opinion. I have had the good fortune of handling and shooting the other two and if I remember correctly, the Ruger I shot was probably an all steel old model.
Best of luck
Marksman

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Mon May 12, 2014 4:08 pm

Hello Archer,
You could also take a look at the Colt Gold Cup .22 lr. Off the three and also since you are keen on 1911 type, I would prefer the Colt.
Regards

archer
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by archer » Mon May 12, 2014 9:57 pm

Thank you Marksman, hvj1. I am open to other 1911s in 22, these are some of the models that I liked.
Will keep you all posted. Should be able to pick up a nice piece in the next 4-6 weeks.
Thanks again..
Parag

archer
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by archer » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:53 am

Due to restrictions on ammo type and certain handguns de-rostered from the list of CA handguns I was limited to very few options . I picked up a Sig Sauer 1911-22lr earlier today.
Due to shortage of 22lr ammo on the market, it may be a few days (weeks) before I can take her to the range.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:58 am

nice one, get me one on your way back please.
and do not forget spare parts etc
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

archer
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by archer » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:15 pm

will do sir..

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:03 pm

Archer
Heartiest Congratulations! Though I must honestly admit that I am green with envy. I sincerely wish you Happy times with the singular beauty.
Best Regards

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:29 am

archer wrote:I am working towards buying my first firearm and returning back with it on TR in about 2 years time. Am looking at 22lr right now as i am a member ar MRA, Mumbai and have access to 22s .

Kimber rimfire
http://www.kimberamerica.com/1911/rimfi ... get-silver

Ruger Mark iii
http://www.ruger.com/products/markIIISt ... odels.html

Colt Govt model
http://www.waltherarms.com/products/tac ... 3BcjvldU00

Your thoughts??
There is a really simple answer to this question.

I've actually fired the Colt.22 and the Ruger .22. However, I have not fired the Kimber.

Walther's Colt Govt model is made for them by Umarex (an Airsoft company). They are OK but nothing special. The frame and slide are made of an alloy, probably something like Zamac. It is good enough for a .22 but you don't want to drop it from a height onto a hard surface like concrete or you are going to see chips breaking off and/or cracks developing. Consequently, the price is going to be the cheapest of the three. It will be the least durable of the three.

The Kimber is a high end model. The frame and slide are Aluminum. Both the trigger and barrel are match grade items.
This is a quality firearm, is well made and will be very accurate. However, it will be the most expensive of the three.

The Ruger is the quintessential postwar American .22 LR pistol.
Being made of steel, your great grandchildren will still be shooting it years from now. As Ruger has made millions of them, parts availability will never be a problem (even many years in the future).
This is a handgun that has had all the bugs worked out of it, is dead reliable and will feed almost any .22 LR ammunition without a hiccup.
The price will be below the Kimber and above the Colt. This pistol is the most durable of the three with excellent parts availability.

Remember that you will not be able to replace anything easily if you break or lose a part, so you want the most rugged pistol that you can buy.
As far as which one I would choose as a firearm to bring to India? Without a doubt, it would be the Ruger
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:52 am

Sorry, I started my previous post earlier in the day and didn't finish it till later. In the meantime, you posted your purchase.

Please let me congratulate you on the purchase of your SIG 1911/.22. I have one of them and I like it but I would much rather have the Ruger if I was taking a pistol to India.
If anything happens to my pistol, I will just replace it. That is something that I won't be able to do in India.

On the other hand the SIG is a decent pistol. Just don't drop it or holster it. The finish wears very easily. Break it in with CCI Mini Mags if you can.

I did a review on it HERE about three years ago.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

archer
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by archer » Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:40 am

I was considering the ruger, but it was out of stock when i wanted to purchase it (it goes off the CA handgun roster Aug 10th, 2014).
I did read through your post very carefully before I zeroed in on the Sig.
On the ammo front, I am still looking for 22lr ammo.

Thank you for your tip on the holster, will keep that in mind.

Thanks XL, hvj1.

Parag