Making Arms License Application -Please Advise

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
farook
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: Making Arms License Application -Please Advise

Post by farook » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:34 pm

sekhonkamal wrote: the Pune Distt. Rifle Assn's Mr. Gani Shaikh refused safe custody saying its only for members.
Suggest you join, being a member of a NRAI affiliated rifle association gives a very strong backing to your arms license application....
Nothing has shaped the history more than a Gun

For Advertising mail webmaster
sekhonkamal
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by sekhonkamal » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:47 pm

I would love to Farook, but given my office schedule and added responsibilities now i don't have enough time to enroll with NRAI (even if it means a smoother license processing). Getting spread thin :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

miroflex
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by miroflex » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:18 pm

sekhonkamal wrote:A new bit of info i got from the police constable (experienced in processing fresh gun licenses) - he says you don't have to keep your weapon in safe custody while putting you application. When the application goes into processing, the commissioner office directs police to take the said weapon in custody. I asked again if it is ok to have the weapon at home under plain lock and key,and he said yes.

So apparently its ok to keep weapon at home, i somehow could not feel convinced. Also, the Pune Distt. Rifle Assn's Mr. Gani Shaikh refused safe custody saying its only for members.

Just wanted to update everyone of the latest norms n standards followed.

The advice given by the police constable is incorrect. Keeping a firearm without a valid licence is contrary to the provisions of the Arms Act. You should immediately deposit the weapon, along with such ammunition as may be there, with an arms and ammunition dealer and obtain a receipt of having done so.

All the best in your quest for a licence.
"To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived." Sherlock Holmes in "The Adventure Of The Copper Beeches" by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

farook
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by farook » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:23 pm

:agree:
Nothing has shaped the history more than a Gun

Amit357
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Amit357 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:13 pm

miroflex wrote:
sekhonkamal wrote:A new bit of info i got from the police constable (experienced in processing fresh gun licenses) - he says you don't have to keep your weapon in safe custody while putting you application. When the application goes into processing, the commissioner office directs police to take the said weapon in custody. I asked again if it is ok to have the weapon at home under plain lock and key,and he said yes.

So apparently its ok to keep weapon at home, i somehow could not feel convinced. Also, the Pune Distt. Rifle Assn's Mr. Gani Shaikh refused safe custody saying its only for members.

Just wanted to update everyone of the latest norms n standards followed.

The advice given by the police constable is incorrect. Keeping a firearm without a valid licence is contrary to the provisions of the Arms Act. You should immediately deposit the weapon, along with such ammunition as may be there, with an arms and ammunition dealer and obtain a receipt of having done so.

All the best in your quest for a licence.
+ 1 on that & Kamal 1st, they can book you for keeping a weapon without proper papers,2nd your chances of getting an A L is zilch after that,the Police Constable who told you that you can keep it with you is gonna refuse the same,3rd with the Model code of conduct you cannot keep any weapon at home,there is another thread on that,plz check {You have to deposit the weapon with 30 days of the demise of the License Holder in safe custody,technically you are in possession of an illegal firearm} & finally any Licensing Authority asks for the receipt of SAFE CUSTODY when receiving your file for a fresh A.L in inheritance cases.If you feel that i am giving you unsolicited advice that is not my intention,a person residing very near from us with a similar quandary like yours spent a couple of weeks in Sarkari Hospitality :shock:.Hope this helps

sekhonkamal
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by sekhonkamal » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:27 pm

Thanks Microflex, Farook and Amit. What you say is logically correct and i have checked with an arms dealer who is going to keep it for 400 INR per month. Better safe than sorry, but its hell getting info and facts to expedite the process. U guys are a great help!

Safarigent
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Safarigent » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:29 pm

DEPOSIT THAT WEAPON AT THE EARLIEST!

You will be in trouble if you dont.

See this link:
http://delhipolicelicensing.gov.in/arms ... m#section1

It applies to delhi but the sections and requirements/formats for surrender of deceaseds arms license abd ibtaining fresh arms license and all affidavits, papers etc you will find here.
No need to join any club. This is a case of inheritance. Straightforward.
A sifarish letter is the epitome of us kowtowing to the mandarins. Ask them to give you the demand for it in writing. And then follow up their refusal to reply with an rti demanding copy of their reply to your letter
To Excellence through Diligence.

sekhonkamal
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by sekhonkamal » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:37 pm

Thanks for the genuine advise Safarigent. I have spoken to an arms dealer, a family member will hopefully deposit it tomorrow. Really grateful for the advice n tip!

sekhonkamal
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by sekhonkamal » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:32 pm

Submitted the weapon with the arms dealer today, and have to submit a notarized copy of the receipt to the Commissioner Office. I still am searching for the format of the NOC from family needed which needs to accompany the arms license application based on weapon inheritance. What i get from internet are illogical versions, as in it is an individual NOC and not where all members are mentioned together. I can alter and make one fitting my requirement, still wanted to check if anyone wudve have a clear defined format. Thanks in advance!

Amit357
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Amit357 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:36 pm

sekhonkamal wrote:Submitted the weapon with the arms dealer today, and have to submit a notarized copy of the receipt to the Commissioner Office. I still am searching for the format of the NOC from family needed which needs to accompany the arms license application based on weapon inheritance. What i get from internet are illogical versions, as in it is an individual NOC and not where all members are mentioned together. I can alter and make one fitting my requirement, still wanted to check if anyone wudve have a clear defined format. Thanks in advance!

Hi Kamal,i know being from the I.T sector your need to modify the format is dire :) ,but plz dont, the NOC format has to be submitted individually by each & every 1st Class Legal Heir left by your Late Father,the NOCs have to be made on the correct value of Stamp Paper duly attested by a 1st Class gazetted officer,the same will be sent to each & every Legal Heir for Police verification.Another piece of advice,despite the dire need to change formats of any document to suit your need plz desist cause it will just add on to the trips you will have to make to the Cops.In India there is a set format for every thing Sarkari,only an act of God can change it.{Though i wonder would the Act of God be acceptable to the BABUDOM :evil: },Hope this helped Amit

Katana
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Katana » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:13 pm

Amit is right. Don't try changing any of the formats. It'll just come back to you and delay your work. Some locations have regional language formats while some may have it in English. The language will be atrocious, but bear with it. The format will be illogical but there's nothing we can do about it because the people who process then are rather illogical. They themselves don't realise that they are burdening themselves with extra work.

At one time I explained to my DM to make all forms in the 'seva kendra' dual language( pertaining not only to Arms but just about everything because my district has many people from out of the state so that they could follow the rules) since all of them are in Gujarati. Of course, the suggestion just evaporated.
Justice alone is the mainstay of government and the source of prosperity to the governed, injustice is the most pernicious of things; it saps the foundations of the government and brings ruin upon the realm - Sher Shah Sur, Sultan-ul-Adil.

sekhonkamal
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by sekhonkamal » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:40 pm

Yup guys, thanks for the wisdom.....i prolly will submit all separately, thoh ive had NOCs made where all members are mentioned together, and this was again for govt. purposes. Lol right Amit, my experiences tell me babus are immune from supreme court too! Katana i am glad u took the effort to point it out to the DM. I am counting on my luck and patience.

Amit357
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Amit357 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:54 pm

Always a pleasure Kamal, Glad i could be of Help,Hope you are really Patience & REALLY LUCKY

sekhonkamal
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by sekhonkamal » Sun May 18, 2014 12:24 pm

Sumbitted the application for arms license finally, after a lot of unnecessary to and fro. The process as explained, would proceed with a police verification from my local police station. Does anyone know what entails int he verification and next interview rounds? Thanks in advance.

Sharp-shooter
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Sharp-shooter » Sun May 18, 2014 11:36 pm

Hi Kamal,
While you figure out the "safe keeping" procedure. Just make sure that under any circumstances your firearm is UNLOADED and kept in a locker/almari etc.

I cannot stress the importance of safe firearm handling processes.

Good Luck!