Rifle as baggage to INDIA by NRI

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
ozk009
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Rifle as baggage to INDIA by NRI

Post by ozk009 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:42 pm

Folks, Hope someone can help me here. I am an OZ also have OCI. I own a 3006 pump action rifle. I have applied a licence in India which is close to approval. Once , i have my gun licence approved in india , i want to take my 3006 home. what is the procedure for that? I hope , I can take one firearm.

For Advertising mail webmaster
surajshuresh
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: Rifle as baggage to INDIA by NRI

Post by surajshuresh » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:04 pm

Hi you can do that by TR go through the forum to get to know about TR process. I am working on a handgun TR from Australia too...

prashantsingh
Poster of the Month - Aug 2011
Poster of the Month - Aug 2011

Post by prashantsingh » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:36 pm

ozk009 wrote: I own a 3006 pump action rifle.
Would love to see the snaps.

hks2056
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by hks2056 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:05 pm

Hi
I was just wondering if NRI who is holding Overseas Citizen of India Card [OCI] is permitted to hold arms licence in India. What will be the status of an existing arms licence holder who was till some time back Indian passport holder but has now recently become Canadian passport holder and obtained OCI Card?
With good wishes.

ozk009
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by ozk009 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:15 pm

surajshuresh wrote:Hi you can do that by TR go through the forum to get to know about TR process. I am working on a handgun TR from Australia too...

Hi, can you please explain in detail . what is TR

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:57 pm

ozk009 wrote:
surajshuresh wrote:Hi you can do that by TR go through the forum to get to know about TR process. I am working on a handgun TR from Australia too...

Hi, can you please explain in detail . what is TR
Please do use the search function and you will find a lot of useful information which you can use. I am personally unsure if a foreign citizen can bring a firearm in.

http://indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5481

This link gives you the exact definition and the facilities it gives.

http://mumbaicustoms3.gov.in/htmldocs/tr.htm
What is Transfer of Residence ?
Transfer of Residence (TR) is a facility provided to a person (either an Indian or a foreign passport holder, whether a minor or not and even a student) who intends to transfer his/her residence to India after a stay abroad of at least two years. This facility allows the person and his/her family to import personal and household articles free of duty and certain other listed items on payment of a concessional rate of duty.
What are the conditions of eligibility for availing Transfer of Residence ?
i) Minimum stay of two years abroad, immediately preceding the date of the passenger's arrival on transfer of residence. Shortfall of up to 2 months in stay abroad can be condoned by Assistant Commissioner of Customs if the early return is on account of - (i) terminal leave or vacation being availed of by the passenger, or (ii) any other special circumstances.
(ii) Total stay in India on short visits during the 2 preceding years should not exceed 6 months. Commissioner of Customs may condone short visits in excess of 6 months in deserving cases.

(iii) Passenger or any member of his family have not availed this concession in the preceding three years.

(iv) The person claiming this benefit affirms by declaration that no other member of the family had availed, or would avail this benefit within the above time-period. The term "family" includes all persons in the same house and forming part of the same establishment.

Note : Earlier there was a clause of minimum stay in India of 1 year after taking TR. This has since been abolished.
Articles not allowed duty free, but at various rates of duty and/or under specific conditions :-
Firearms (may only be brought under TR) - Import of firearms is usually prohibited and import of Cartridges in excess of 50 is also prohibited, both being listed under Annexure-I of the Baggage Rules. However, persons bringing their effects on TR can bring one firearm of permissible bore on payment of a duty @153% ad-valorem, subject to the conditions that:-
(a) the same was in possession and use abroad by the passenger for a minimum period of one year and also subject to the condition that such firearm, after clearance, shall not be sold, loaned, transferred or otherwise parted with, for consideration or otherwise, during the lifetime of such person AND (b) the firearms can be allowed in such cases on payment of applicable duty provided the passenger has a valid arms licence from the local authorities.

It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:30 pm

ozk009 wrote:Folks, Hope someone can help me here. I am an OZ also have OCI. I own a 3006 pump action rifle. I have applied a licence in India which is close to approval. Once , i have my gun licence approved in india , i want to take my 3006 home. what is the procedure for that? I hope , I can take one firearm.
any pics of the 3006 pump action rifle?
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

ozk009
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by ozk009 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:06 pm

nagarifle wrote:
ozk009 wrote:Folks, Hope someone can help me here. I am an OZ also have OCI. I own a 3006 pump action rifle. I have applied a licence in India which is close to approval. Once , i have my gun licence approved in india , i want to take my 3006 home. what is the procedure for that? I hope , I can take one firearm.
here is a quick pic, willl upload a good one soon.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

tariq
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by tariq » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:57 pm

ozk009 wrote:
nagarifle wrote:
here is a quick pic, willl upload a good one soon.
Nice :)