Exporting a pre-CITES leapard skin out of India

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
Norman Van Rooy
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Exporting a pre-CITES leapard skin out of India

Post by Norman Van Rooy » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:41 am

I am a U.S. citizen born and bred in India. I call India my motherland and have returned many times to visit friends. My question is this...I had a schoolmate who shot a leopard in 1970 and had it tanned with a head mount. It was put in a 55 gallon barrel with moth balls and sealed up. The problem was that his father never had it registered to my knowledge but has photos of his son with the dead leopard--so the spot patterns would be the same. Is it at all possible to legally export that skin from India to the U.S.? The other issue was that my friend was killed 2 days after shooting the cat while riding a train when he hit his head on a tressel and so can not sign any affidavits. If it is not possible to export it then could the family donate it to the school me and my friend attended? Any info or creative suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thank you. Norman Van Rooy