Please advice! Temporary change of residence (min 3 years).

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
manshah007
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Please advice! Temporary change of residence (min 3 years).

Post by manshah007 » Sat May 18, 2013 4:31 am

Request to all IFG knowledgeable members with legal insight and also members who have had gone through similar situation, PLEASE ADVICE. iam arms license holder from MUMBAI city and have two weapons (1) dbbl gun (2) sbbl. Rifle, with all India validity. Issued by C.P. Mumbai. Now my problem is iam compelled to change my resident temporarily to Thane district for a min. Period of three years because the premises where i presently reside is being redeveloped, which will take min.three years. I own a flat at mira rd dist.thane where i will be shifting for next three years and i wish to keep my weapons with me. How do i legally do this? What procedure i will have to follow? Where do i renew my license? What are my options other than depositing my weapons in police armoury or depositing with a dealer? Please help me out of this situation as i have been given deadline of 31st of july 2013 for vacating the premises by the builder.

For Advertising mail webmaster
xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Please advice! Temporary change of residence (min 3 yea

Post by xl_target » Sat May 18, 2013 7:32 am

If you have All India Validity, shouldn't that work in Thane as well?
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Sat May 18, 2013 7:54 am

Even as an arms licensee with an all India endorsement, if you visit any place with your firearm(s) for more than 2 days you are legally obliged to visit the closest police station within 48 hours of arrival (with your firearm & license) and inform them of your presence in their jurisdiction along with your firearm(s). They will usually ask you to give them a photocopy of your arms license for their records. There is a similar requirement for criminals to register themselves with their closest police station... so in our system arms license holders are treated similar to how convicted felons are treated! :roll: :evil:

If you are changing residence to a different address, which is out of the jurisdiction of your current licensing authority, you will need to "shift" your arms license to the new jurisdiction. I haven't had the chance to go through this process, but that is my reading of the law.

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

ruger_rugged
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by ruger_rugged » Sat May 18, 2013 10:50 am

@ manshah007

Process is simple. Go to Office of Police Comm Thane City (CP Thane City). Thane and submit an application that you are changing your address under their jurisdiction. You will have to attach some evidence of residence with your application along with xerox of AL. CP Thane City will call for NOC from CP Mumbai to confirm the authenticity of AL along with weapon caliber, serial no and area. Upon receiving NOC, CP Thane will call for a report from Police Inspector of PS under whose jurisdiction your new residence is. You might have to walk to PS to give a statement that you have changed your residence temporarily. Upon receiving the report from PI, who will be asked to submit 2 photographs along with original licence by CP Thane, who will then register your licence and provide you a new licence number. CP Thane will thus become Licensing authority for your AL and all further renewals to be done with him as long as you reside under jurisdiction of CP Thane. The whole process generally takes about 3 months but don't be surprised if it goes up to 10-12 months.

:cheers:
ruger

manshah007
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by manshah007 » Sun May 19, 2013 7:15 am

Thank you XL TARGET,ABHIJEET SIR and RUGER RUGGED for prompt and to the point reply, your replies have given me clear idea what iam supposed to do. Thanks once again!

manshah007
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by manshah007 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:36 am

xl_target wrote:If you have All India Validity, shouldn't that work in Thane as well?
This advice worked very well gave me a clear hint, rest was smooth procedure. I submitted temporary change of residence intimation along with copy of my AL (which was recently renewed) and copy of letter from the builder to CP office, the head clerk called me and iquired about duration of the temporary change of residence (this fact i did not mention in my application) i replied about 18 months without realising the fact that, in Mumbai large number of redevelopment projects are in different phases of progress, he said redevopment take min. 2 to 3 year as he has been dealing this issue on regular basis, he accepted the letter and gave me aknoweldgement stamp on xerox copy. my next step i gave the copy of this letter to local police station of my permnent address for their record. Next carried the weapons to local area police station got the weapons inspected gave them the copy of letter stamped by cp office and LAPS, along with the copy of my AL and proof of temporary residence.here the clerk was bit confused so he reffered the matter to senior inspector who was helpful and guided the clerk, thus details of address my mobile no
was recorded in their register. i got the copy of stamped applicationfor my record. i presume all india and 3 yeas validity saved me from long and time consuming procedure of transferring the licence from mumbai to thane. thankyou all for best advice!

saurabh_geo
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by saurabh_geo » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:00 pm

I have all u.p licence along with three state (Rajasthan also ) and I have been transferred to Rajasthan this will vallide in Rajasthan also or if there any process to change it to Rajasthan or apply fresh. What can I do please advice

farook
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by farook » Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:01 am

mundaire wrote:Even as an arms licensee with an all India endorsement, if you visit any place with your firearm(s) for more than 2 days you are legally obliged to visit the closest police station within 48 hours of arrival (with your firearm & license) and inform them of your presence in their jurisdiction along with your firearm(s). They will usually ask you to give them a photocopy of your arms license for their records. There is a similar requirement for criminals to register themselves with their closest police station... so in our system arms license holders are treated similar to how convicted felons are treated! :roll: :evil:

If you are changing residence to a different address, which is out of the jurisdiction of your current licensing authority, you will need to "shift" your arms license to the new jurisdiction. I haven't had the chance to go through this process, but that is my reading of the law.

Cheers!
Abhijeet

I believe its 30 days. Arms rule 1962 Clause 62
If a person who holds a licence in Form III changes his
place of residence, permanently, or temporarily for more
than thirty consecutive days, and carries with him the
weapon covered by the licence, to a place, other than
indicated in column 2 of the licence, he shall, 2[within
thirty days of such change], send intimation about such
change to the licensing authority of the place of his new
residence as well as to the authority which granted the
licence or last renewed it, as the case may be; and shall on
demand, forthwith produce the licence and the weapon to
the first mentioned licensing authority for making
necessary entry in the licence to indicate there in the
particulars of the new residence of the licensee.]
Nothing has shaped the history more than a Gun

farook
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by farook » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:35 pm

As per the arms rule clause 62 its 30 consecutive days. In the appeal filed by nagri to MHA its say 48 hours. Does anyone know of any order from the MHA which supports the change...

farook
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by farook » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:30 am

Any update on this Abhijeet

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:51 am

Note: The required verb is `Advise`.
`Advice` is the noun.
You give someone advice, you advise someone to do something.
Sorry about the English grammar lesson but it`s a very common mistake.
Make a man a fire and he`ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
( Terry Pratchett )

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:48 am

Farook, I seem to have missed your request for clarification. Please see CONDITIONS listed under Form III/ IIIA:
3A. A licensee having an arms license valid throughout India, who carries the licensed weapon or weapons to any place outside the State where he normally resides, shall, within 48 hours of his arrival at such place, intimate in writing to the officer in charge of the police station or the Superintendent of Police having jurisdiction over that place the fact of his arrival at that place and the particulars of any such weapon.
Inserted via G.S.R. 52 (E), dated 24th January, 1989 (w.e.f. 24-01-1989) and subs. by G.S.R. 404 (E), dated 28th March, 1990 (w.e.f. 28-03-1990).

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

farook
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by farook » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:02 pm

Does it also apply if I move out of the area police station but still with in the same state...Lets say from Bangalore to Mysore which is still with in Karnataka...

With in the state is it 48 hours or 30 days...pretty confusing I must say..

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:11 pm

3A. A licensee having an arms license valid throughout India, who carries the licensed weapon or weapons to any place outside the State where he normally resides, shall, within 48 hours of his arrival at such place, intimate in writing to the officer in charge of the police station or the Superintendent of Police having jurisdiction over that place the fact of his arrival at that place and the particulars of any such weapon.

www.gunowners.in

captrakshitsharma
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by captrakshitsharma » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:54 pm

I think within the same state you should be ok and have no trouble. You have an all India Validity don't you?
I dont dial 911... I dial .357