Applied for arms license delhi

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
rahulbdelhi
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Applied for arms license delhi

Post by rahulbdelhi » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:35 pm

Hi all,

I also applied for license last week for pistol/revolver under self defence category. Here's how it went :-

Reached the Defence Colony police station (near Moolchand metro station) arround 10 am. Entry is from groung floor. Had to sign-in my name in a register. Was given a token and told to go to counter no. 5 on 1st floor. The first floor room was pretty crowded, but most people had come for license renewal. Counter no. 5 was almost empty, there was an elderly gentleman ahead of me who submitted his documents and left. Then came my turn. I handed over my documents.

The clerk scanned my documents for some time and asked me if I had attached my salary slips. My pointed out that I had. He then scanned the docs again and told me that the affidavit had some clauses missing. Basically you have to have all the mentioned points in the affidavit even if they are not applicable, just write NA in front of them.
I went downstairs and asked the guy at the reception if there was any place nearby where i coukd get a fresh affidavit made. He told me to go to Vikas Sadan, INA.

I rushed out, and got a friendly autowallah who took me Vikas Sadan,INA. (The guy even charged by the meter !!!). There are some notary public shops there, went to one and had the affidavit made for Rs. 150/-. Got hold of another auto and rushed back to the license office(public dealing ends at 12:30 pm).

The guy at counter no. 5 scanned my docs again and handed me a pink form to fill-up for police verification. I filled the form and after submission we gave me a receipt. I asked him whats the next step, he said that the form will be sent for police verification.

Waiting for the police verification now.

Thanks
Rahul.

For Advertising mail webmaster
inplainsight
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: Applied for arms license delhi

Post by inplainsight » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:41 pm

Rahul,

Let me know if you are rejected, I will send you my appeal paperwork.

Good luck with the process.

Regards,
Kandarp

rahulbdelhi
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by rahulbdelhi » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:45 pm

Thanks Kandarp, I will keep you updated. Any idea how long before the policeman comes for verification?

jonahpach
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by jonahpach » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:12 pm

Whats with the salary slip? First time I've heard of it.
Speak softly and carry a big gun!

inplainsight
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by inplainsight » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:14 pm

jonahpach wrote:Whats with the salary slip? First time I've heard of it.
Delhi Police, for some reason, is interested to know the salary of an applicant. They ask for IT returns or salary slips.

inplainsight
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by inplainsight » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:20 pm

rahulbdelhi wrote:Thanks Kandarp, I will keep you updated. Any idea how long before the policeman comes for verification?
The Policeman should visit you within a week. I'd recommend you have the following handy

1. Statements from two neighbors and their self attested ID proofs. (I had posted the format some time ago in the Legal Eagle section, let me know if you have trouble finding it)
2. Self Attested copies of all the documentation that you had submitted with your application.

They are quite anal about the residence proof, so make sure that you have a voter id or passport with your current address.

inplainsight
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by inplainsight » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:25 pm

I'm going to save you the trouble and just post the format here.

_____________,
_____________,

To:
Sub Inspector,
_____________ Police Station,
New Delhi

Re: Neighbor verification for _____________

Dear Sir,

This is in reference to the Arms License application of _____________, a resident of _____________.

I confirm that I personally have known _____________ for over _____________ years, since he has been residing at this address since _____________. He is also not a short tempered person.

I can further confirm that he and his family are honest, law abiding citizens who have no issues with anyone in our society and, to the best of my knowledge, have not been involved in any criminal or anti social activities.

He is a nice person and also very social. He would always be the first one to respond to any unfortunate incidents that happens in our society. He is a helpful person and tries to help all around her.

So, in my opinion, these should not be any problems if he is granted an Arms License.

Regards,

Phone Number: _____________

rahulbdelhi
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by rahulbdelhi » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:17 pm

Thanks for the format Kandarp. I was not aware that I would need to get certifications from neighbors.
Would the policeman really ask for these things ? Not sure if my neighbors would be ready to provide their photo id proofs. They might just freak out on hearing about the arms license thing, people don't want to get involved into anything these days.

Also I don't have a voter i card and my passport contains my old home address. I had given my ITR-V along with the application form as address proof. Will that work?

inplainsight
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by inplainsight » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:45 am

Rahul,

Unfortunately, the statements are needed for the police verification. I don't think you will be able to avoid that. I suggest you talk to a few people who live nearby and get this.

Where do you live? Maybe someone on this forum lives nearby...

The Delhi Police Licensing does list an ITR as an acceptable address proof. I think that might work.

Regards,
Kandarp

rahulbdelhi
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by rahulbdelhi » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:44 pm

Hi Kandarp,

I live in Dwarka. It would be great if anybody in this forum can help me regarding this.

Any tips on how to deal with the policeman when he comes visiting ? What if he asks for a bribe....

Thanks,
Rahul.

inplainsight
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by inplainsight » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:52 pm

rahulbdelhi wrote:Hi Kandarp,

I live in Dwarka. It would be great if anybody in this forum can help me regarding this.

Any tips on how to deal with the policeman when he comes visiting ? What if he asks for a bribe....

Thanks,
Rahul.
Rahul,

I'm sure one of our Dwarka members might help you out.

No point bribing the policeman. He can't submit a negative report, not unless you have been charged or convicted for any crime. The most he can do is stall your paperwork, and even then he has to submit it within a given time frame.

Also, from now on, demand everything in writing. EVERYTHING. If the policeman tells you that he can't submit a positive report, ask him to give you a reason in writing. If he refuses to do so, then ask him to write that he is refusing to give you something in writing. Same applies to any officer who tries to bully you around in the Licensing branch. You are going to have to fight for this, so no point being nice to anyone :)

Regards,
Kandarp

rahulbdelhi
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by rahulbdelhi » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:09 pm

Thanks Kandarp, I will keep your suggestions in mind.

Anybody from Dwarka out here ?????????

rahulbdelhi
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by rahulbdelhi » Tue May 21, 2013 12:17 pm

police came for verification last week , managed to get the statements from 2 of my neighbours

inplainsight
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by inplainsight » Tue May 21, 2013 12:25 pm

Great. That's one less thing to worry about.

inplainsight
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by inplainsight » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:24 am

Any updates?