help wanted for arms transfer

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
vrohan59
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

help wanted for arms transfer

Post by vrohan59 » Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:28 am

dear members,
I need your kind advise on the matter of transfer of arms.One relative of mine is in posession of an M1 carbine,that he would like to hand over to me as a retainer.But for some reason the DC's office refuses to endorse my name in the licecne.Please advise me on what to do in this case, as the DC hasen't given any reason for the refusal.I am already in the possession of a .32revolver and a.22rifle.The licence of my relative is valid all over India and has an ammunition endorsement of 250 rds at a time and unlimited purchase endorsement.

Thank You.Regards rohan

For Advertising mail webmaster
penpusher

Re: help wanted for arms transfer

Post by penpusher » Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:08 am

Any refusal has to be in the form of a speaking order.If the DC's office does not do anything then you can file an application under the RTI.I would suggest that you hire a lawyer to do the work for you.

penpusher

The Doc
Veteran
Veteran

Post by The Doc » Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:17 pm

Is it possible to have a M1 Carbine and a .22 riflle on the same license ? I dont think so . Also I think that a M1 carbine is a P Bore unless "doctored".

best,
RP

Lawman
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Lawman » Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:25 pm

Carbine is a fully automatic weapon. No one can possess such firearm as a personal weapon according to Arms Act whether it is a NPB or not. :cry:

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cottage cheese » Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:35 pm

Lawman";p="21800 wrote:Carbine is a fully automatic weapon. No one can possess such firearm as a personal weapon according to Arms Act whether it is a NPB or not. :cry:
Hi Lawman,

You could be a little off the mark here. In interest of accurate information- The Carbine is not fully automatic it's semi-automatic. It can be owned under certain (vague) conditions....well, that much being said it's classed as a PB anyway. There was this requirement under law to have all semi-auto rifles/carbines disabled to prevent the self loading cycle- in effect they were to be 'bolt-actions'... as to how far this is in effect is arguable... :)

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:11 am

Some clarifications are in order.

1.Most M1 carbines in India are semi-automatic.This said,there are some .30 carbines that are fully autmomatic and so are classified as prohibited firearms as per the Arms Act.

2.The bore itself is not prohibited.As it is a semi-automatic rifle,license for this can only be issued by the Home Ministry of GOI.

3.There are certain category of people who were allowed one Prohibited firearm.These were the descendants of the former rulers of Indian states.When the 3 gun limit was imposed,they were allowed to keep one prohibited firearm amongst the 3 guns allowed to them and surrender the rest.

4.BTW Governors of states and the President of India are exempt from the provisions of the Arms Act and so can theoretically keep any firear as long as they occupy their post.

5.Lastly,when a person is appointed as the retainer on an arms license the firearm is not transfered to the retainers license.Rather the name of the reatainer is entered on the original firearms license.For eg. the security gaurds that you see in banks don't hold a license in their name or own the firearm that they carry.Rather they are just the retainer of the firearm,license for which is issued to the Bank.An interesting tit bit,the Maharaja of Patiala had bought .25 pistols for the Branch Managers of the Patiala State Bank which now is the State Bank of Patiala.These pistols are still with the SBOP's older branches.

penpusher

spacetraveller
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by spacetraveller » Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:22 am

penpusher

Am I right in saying that also large landowners in the border districts like Ganganagar in Rajasthan and Abohar in Punjab were on a case to case basis allowed automatic carbines and prohibited bore weapons etc.

Spacetraveller

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:48 am

The Arms Act does not differentiate between somebody who owns 1 acre and somebody who own a 100.

penpusher

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cottage cheese » Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:08 am

penpusher";p="21808 wrote:Some clarifications are in order.

1.Most M1 carbines in India are semi-automatic.This said,there are some .30 carbines that are fully autmomatic and so are classified as prohibited firearms as per the Arms Act.

2.The bore itself is not prohibited.As it is a semi-automatic rifle,license for this can only be issued by the Home Ministry of GOI.

3.There are certain category of people who were allowed one Prohibited firearm.These were the descendants of the former rulers of Indian states.When the 3 gun limit was imposed,they were allowed to keep one prohibited firearm amongst the 3 guns allowed to them and surrender the rest.

4.BTW Governors of states and the President of India are exempt from the provisions of the Arms Act and so can theoretically keep any firear as long as they occupy their post.

5.Lastly,when a person is appointed as the retainer on an arms license the firearm is not transfered to the retainers license.Rather the name of the reatainer is entered on the original firearms license.For eg. the security gaurds that you see in banks don't hold a license in their name or own the firearm that they carry.Rather they are just the retainer of the firearm,license for which is issued to the Bank.An interesting tit bit,the Maharaja of Patiala had bought .25 pistols for the Branch Managers of the Patiala State Bank which now is the State Bank of Patiala.These pistols are still with the SBOP's older branches.

penpusher
Ya, penpusher, I suppose you mean the M2 carbines... yes I'd heard of some people owning such but haven't come across one personally... that is except for the seized stuff.