learnt a few things about new license

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:10 pm

Abhijeet,

Thanks for the detailed reply but considering the date and the clout involved your own experiences go into an entirely different category.

Would you know of more recent cases at the no clout level and how they are being dealt with?

Mack The Knife

For Advertising mail webmaster
penpusher

Post by penpusher » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:59 pm

Got mine in a day.Applied in the morning and got the license for NPB rev. by evening, before 5 after the mandatory police verification and NOC from the wildlife dept. For subsequent addition of weapons and enhancement of ammo. quota ,required just an application in each case. There was no police verificatios( infact none is required as per the Act and Rules,after a lic. has been issued) and the work was done in an hour or so every time.

Take care,
penpusher

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:36 am

penpusher,

With or without clout and/or Vitamin M? When was this?

Thanks.

Mack The Knife

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:59 am

With or without clout
:wink: :wink:
and/or Vitamin M?
:shock:

Take care,
penpusher

piyushpdsingh
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by piyushpdsingh » Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:58 am

Mack The Knife,
I Have applied for a .22 bore rifle more than 4 months ago.Attached photo copy of my NRAI and BSRA membership Card.I am still waiting for my license.On inquiry from office was told that local ps has not sent the verification report,they are waiting for some chai paani.Infact in my state there a PIL has been filled against state goverment for not providing arms license,the court regularly threatens action against DM and SSp's for not disposing the applications in three months but no respite is coming.There are applications pending for upto 7 years.Only people with clout gets their licenses.Waiting for final order on it,will post the major decisions on the site.
Piyush Pal Dhari Singh

axp817
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by axp817 » Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:02 am

piyushpdsingh wrote:Mack The Knife,
I am still waiting for my license.On inquiry from office was told that local ps has not sent the verification report,they are waiting for some chai paani.Infact in my state there a PIL has been filled against state goverment for not providing arms license,the court regularly threatens action against DM and SSp's for not disposing the applications in three months but no respite is coming.There are applications pending for upto 7 years.Only people with clout gets their licenses.
That is disgusting. I hope they rot in hell for denying you, your right.

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:09 am

piyushpdsingh wrote:Mack The Knife,
.There are applications pending for upto 7 years.Only people with clout gets their licenses.Waiting for final order on it,will post the major decisions on the site.
I know of no one in my cirlce who ever got a lic in India without clout and some Vitamin M..Are you not a Lawyer? because advocates have an associated Nusiance value deemed by Officers since they are afraid of legal issues and bar association's abilities to escalate matter. If possible use that effectively. Hang in there

Navdeep

cyrixoutside
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by cyrixoutside » Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:27 pm

[/quote]

That is disgusting. I hope they rot in hell for denying you, your right.[/quote]

i think some years ago a district court in rajasthan gave verdict about the rights of citizens to bear arms.

i think the verdict was that in india a citizen does not posses the right to bear arms, its the states privilage pf the state if to chooses to grant arms licenses.

The licensing authority does not need to give any reason for rejecting and application, and there is no right of appeal.

of course here the authorities dont even let the application be completed so that it can reach the final stage.

last year there were 3 daylight killings of jewelers in crowded places in jaipur, so the government passed an order that the local police station must complete the police verification with in 60 days and that within 90 days of the application being filed either the license should be granted or a written rejection must be given.

however in reality nothings has changed without clout and vit m nothing will happen.

In fact the clerk will not even accept your application unless its marked to him by the ADM and the ADM will not even mark the application unless you got clout.

so you wont even get passed the first stage.

rajat

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:05 pm

cyrixoutside wrote:
i think the verdict was that in india a citizen does not posses the right to bear arms, its the states privilage to grant arms licenses.[/quote]

That is correct.
The licensing authority does not need to give any reason for rejecting and application, and there is no right of appeal.
Not sure if this is correct. My understanding is that if within three months of the application being submitted one does not hear from the concerned authorities, then you can consider the licence to have been granted. However, one still needs to have the licence book to purchase a firearm.

Mack The Knife

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:23 pm

This letter that I got from the Commissioners office was in Kannada. Since I do not read the lingo I had asked two friends to translate. The first told me that I had to go to the local cop shop with the documents mentioned in an earlier post.

I could not make it yesterday and was to go today. However, my second friend had a slightly different interpretation which he told me about this morning.

Apparently, this letter is addressed to the Sub-Inspector/Inspector of my local police station and he is supposed to come and see me and not the other way around. The letter sent to me was as a cc. I decided to play it cool and wait. Around 4:15 this evening I receive a call from my police station and the gent at the other end of the line mentioned that he has received a letter from the Commissioners Office and would it be convenient if he could come and see me at 10 tomorrow morning. I am not making this up, he really was polite to a fault. So this is where things stand at the moment. More tomorrow after the meeting. BTW, I thought I was talking to the writer but it turned out to be the boss himself. Impressed!

I am getting a faster turn around here than many of my friends in the U.K.. Shabash Bangalore Police but fingers crossed nevertheless.

Incidentally, the DCP who scribbled something on my application is being transfered. Guess, I need to go across ad thank him, even though he probably wont remember me.

Mack The Knife

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:32 pm

Mack The Knife Bana wrote:Shabash Bangalore Police but fingers crossed nevertheless.Mack The Knife
I don't have any experience regarding Arms License but few days ago my passport got expired and there was a requiement for a Police verification. Process is file will come to local PO and they wil do a verification. They gave me a call at my home number, Wife told them that i am at office then they called me at my mobile and asked me if i can come to polce station, I went there provided some details and thats it..its done.. without any Vitamin M. I don't know what you guys think of it but it was a walk compared to my first time when I had to visit local police station 3 times and shell out Rs500 and that too 10 years ago..

Big thumbs up to Bangalore police...

Inder
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

piyushpdsingh
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by piyushpdsingh » Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:00 am

Not sure if this is correct. My understanding is that if within three months of the application being submitted one does not hear from the concerned authorities, then you can consider the licence to have been granted
Mack The Knife it has been directed by courts on different occasions,but rarely followed.
Piyush Pal Dhari Singh

piyushpdsingh
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by piyushpdsingh » Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:17 am

Rajat
The licensing authority has an obligation to give reasons for rejection and to to furnish it to applicant on demand.Sec 14(3).The reason must be a speaking order and he have to give you a chance to tell him your need for license,if not you can appeal against his order.
Piyush Pal Dhari Singh

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:27 pm

The licencing procedure is still proceeding smoothly.

When the person who was to visit me at 10 today did not come by 10:20 a.m., I called up the police station to enquire. I was told that I would have to come to the station. Since it's less than a couple of minutes from my place this wasn't a problem.

At the reception desk (oh yes, I mean a proper reception desk with a vase of flowers and a lady constable behind it) I was told to meet a certain sub-Inspector (turned out to be the chap who called last evening). When I went looking for him, I was told he wasn't in. Just then the inspector happened to be passing by and he told me that the sub had to attend to an urgent matter, so could I please come back at 6 p.m.

I met the sub at 6 but then there was a problem - I don't speak Kannada and his Hindi and English was very weak. So we troop into the Inspector's cabin, he looks at the file, goes through my shooting certs, asks me whether I want it for self protection or sport and afterwhich tells the sub to prepare a letter stating that he has no objection to me adding a shotty to my licence, since I am reponsible for bringing laurels to the state (his words) - did not know where to look at that moment.

Following a big thank you and handshake I was out into the parking lot with a grin from ear to ear and on my way home. Now, I have to sit tight and wait for a letter or phone call from the Commissioners Office to come and pick up my freshly endorsed licence....hopefully.

More as matters unfold further.

Mack The Knife

P.S.: I knew shooting certificates carry a bit of weight but the reaction to them at the local cop shop was a bit overboard - bringing laurels to the state, indeed! :roll: :mrgreen:

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: learnt a few things about new license

Post by Mack The Knife » Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:07 pm

WHOOOPEEEE!!!!

Got my shotty licence an hour ago.

Went to the Single Window counter at the Commissioner's office and handed over the receipt and asked if my licence was ready yet (you have to act as if the other possibility simply isn't possible).

Bloke: No.

Moi: How do you know without even checking? <After a pause> My friend and I applied simultaneously and he was given the approved licence (to buy a shotgun) on the date mentioned on the receipt - 28/9/2006. If it isn't ready, I would like to speak to a senior officer (I had an hour to kill ;) )

Bloke goes into the back room and appears five minutes later with the file and licence. According to him, the licence only came to his department yesterday. I thought he was bullshitting but the date on the licence under the Commissioner's signature is 25th November. This means that the writer at my local police station sat on my file because I did not give some chai-pani.

Mack The Knife