New Firearms Import Policy

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
penpusher

New Firearms Import Policy

Post by penpusher » Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:30 pm

Completely forgot about this.Read in the newspaper somedays back that the Indian Govt. has notified a new firearms import policy by which anybody who is able to reach the minimum qualifying score shall be allowed to import arms and ammunition.As usual the NRAI was quick to claim credit though I am sure they (you know who) would secretly be cursing this move.

penpusher

For Advertising mail webmaster
monty3006
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by monty3006 » Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:12 pm

hey penpusher,
can u attach or print out the relevant report and the minimum scores in each events???

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:19 pm

It's already been mentioned in the ISSF section. I think I had posted this when penpusher and I were discussing 300 metre shooting.

Mack The Knife

P.S.: penpusher if you have the cutting, please scan it for us. Thanks.

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Re: New Firearms Import Policy

Post by kanwar76 » Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:52 pm

Here you go : http://www.indianexpress.com/story/32192.html

New import licence policy adds more ammunition
Navneet SinghPosted online: Wednesday, May 30, 2007 at 0000 hrs Print
Once implemented, it will help more shooters queuing up to own weapons

New Delhi, May 29: There is good news for the shooting fraternity. The new arms import policy of the government, to be announced shortly, is expected to give a real shot in the arm to the shooters.

As per new policy, the shooters who attain a Minimum Qualifying Score (MQS) in their respective events as prescribed by the National Rifle Association of India (NRAI) in the National Championships will not only be eligible for participation in the next Nationals, as has been the case, but will also be entitled to obtain an import licence.

As of now, only “renowned shooters” — the top 25 finishers in each event of the Nationals — are entitled to import duty-free arms and ammunition for training and participation in competitions. But once the new policy takes effect, more shooters will benefit from the scheme.

For instance, in the men’s air pistol event the MQS is 540/600. Similarly, the federation has set different qualifying standards for various events. Said NRAI secretary-general Baljeet Singh Sethi: “This proposal by us has been approved by the government and the annoucement will come through soon. Once the policy is implemented, it will give a big boost to shooting.”

As for the procedure of procuring, the import licence remains the same. The shooters apply to the federation, which processes the application before sending it to the SAI’s Teams Wing. The application is then sent to the Sports Ministry for consideration and approval. The ministry then forwards the application, along with its recommendations, to Director General of Foreign Trade for issue of the import licence. Generally, it takes two to four months to get the licence.

Subsequently, the shooter has to obtain the Duty Exemption Certificate (DEC) from the Sport Ministry for importing air weapons on receipt of import licence from DGFT.

As of now, nearly 95 per cent of the shooters in pre-nationals have been using borrowed weapons. The number is quite large, particularly in the air weapon event, including at the Nationals. But with the new policy, the concept of shooters who struggle to procure weapons will come to an end. They have generally been using others’ weapons.

The shooters also feel that it will automatically reduce blackmarketing of the weapons which, they say, is rampant at the moment.

-Inder
PS: What is qualifying score for trap and skeet events?
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cottage cheese » Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:37 pm

What I find annoying in the whole damn equation is that one has to be grinding ones' nose in competitive shooting to be able to import a fire arm. Some (Or should I say many) of us simply want to own a gun and shoot paper targets for fun and pleasure- a fine release for a lazy week end afternoon. Many would like to own a gun for self defense - This right is barely recognizable in Indian Law.

Man... the woodheadedness of the whole thing.

sat
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by sat » Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:03 pm

This is great news, congratulations to all who worked on this.

I would love to see the expresion of the selfish people at the top who would loose in some way with the imports opening up.

Mack The Knife,

when is the big bore competition? Have already started dreaming of a rifle with 15,000 rounds of ammo. :D :)

bleiker ISSF standard rifle 300m

300m Standardrifle ISSF / CISM

sat

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:58 am

Mack The Knife, when is the big bore competition?

No idea when it is going to be held this year but it will most probably be sometime between October to December.
Have already started dreaming of a rifle with 15,000 rounds of ammo. :D :)
Keep dreaming. ;)

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:02 am

cottage chese";p="21158 wrote:What I find annoying in the whole damn equation is that one has to be grinding ones' nose in competitive shooting to be able to import a fire arm.
I couldn't agree more. However, it's still a step in the right direction for whatever it's worth.

Mack The Knife