Delhi Arms License Rejected

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
inplainsight
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Delhi Arms License Rejected

Post by inplainsight » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:33 pm

Hello,

I had applied for a fresh Arms License in the 'Self Protection' category in New Delhi. I received a letter in the mail from the Licensing Authority informing me that since there exists no 'specific threat' against me, they have decided to reject the application.

Anyone know of a good lawyer I could contact to file the appeal?

Thanks,

You can find the letter here :

For Advertising mail webmaster
prashantsingh
Poster of the Month - Aug 2011
Poster of the Month - Aug 2011

Re: Delhi Arms License Rejected

Post by prashantsingh » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:05 pm

Get in touch with Safarigent and go through his post ""Arms license application rejected"

inplainsight
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by inplainsight » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:12 pm

Done and Done. It was his post that convinced me not to take this lying down or look for short cuts in the system. I will file an appeal and fight this.

wingsoffires66
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by wingsoffires66 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:54 pm

great decision Mr inplainsight. thats the best one can do to challenge these unjust laws. :cheering:
seenay mein hain chingariyaan , thodasa barood bhartey hain......

Girte hain Shahi sawar maidaan-e-jung mein, woh kya girenge jo ghutno pe chala kartey hain

thakur
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by thakur » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:19 pm

Fight for it inplainsight.

Can our Police authorities explain what specific threats our Netas have that they are issued licenses for NPB and sometime PB categories? Also, if they have a license and a licensed arm then why do they spend taxpayers money by deploying police security? It's all a sham in this country.
Cheers,
Thakur

"Shoot well - Lens or Rifle"

inplainsight
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by inplainsight » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:25 pm

Met with the lawyer today; He didn't sound too optimistic about the 'protection' angle. Meeting with him again tomorrow, lets see what happens.

I think I'm now convinced (or delusional) to fight this and apply for a revolver and DBBL license the instant (read 'if') I acquire a pistol.

Safarigent
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Safarigent » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:29 pm

Unfortunately,
The licensing authorities have a lot of leeway when it comes to granting your request for a hand gun for self protection. Its better to start off with a dbbl for sport, .22lr rifle for club members as these are granted i the arms act.
There are a lot of judgements out there which you can use!
Take these to your lawyer and convince him!
THe lg is a good man.
Also, speak to simon sharif of indian shooting. He organizes pistol shooting courses which will be an additional fillip when you go to the lg.
All the best!
To Excellence through Diligence.

inplainsight
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by inplainsight » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:42 pm

I plan on Applying for a Shotgun License (used to love skeet shooting in the US with a pump action, tempted to try the same with an O/U here) under the sports quota once this is decided either way.

Also, am working on my NRAI membership.

Thanks for the Tip regarding Mr. Sharif, been looking for a place to get this certification!

Appreciate all your help!

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:25 pm

Safarigent's advice is on the money - as per Section 13 (3) of the Arms Act
The licensing authority shall grant---

(a) a licence under section 3 where the licence is required---

(i) by a citizen of India in respect of a smooth bore gun having a barrel of not less than twenty inches in length to be used for protection or sport or in respect of a muzzle loading gun to be used for bona fide crop protection:

Provided that where having regard to the circumstances of any case, the licensing authority is satisfied that a muzzle loading gun will not be sufficient for crop protection, the licensing authority may grant a licence in respect of any other smooth bore gun as aforesaid for such protection, or

(ii) in respect of a point 22 bore rifle or an air rifle to be used for target practice by a member of a rifle club or rifle association licensed or recognised by the Central Government;
You'd be better served by getting DSRA membership - that way you can draw ammunition at the range for practice, besides the life membership is half the price of the NRAI membership!

NRAI members have the benefit of being able to purchase IOF ammunition from NRAI at prices which are 5-10% lower than the MRP. From time to time they also have IOF rifles for sale to members. No other benefit of NRAI membership comes readily to mind.

Having NRAI membership will serve no additional purpose OR hold any extra weight while applying for an arms license. Rest it's your dime...

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

Safarigent
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Safarigent » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:59 pm

But do apply for shooters id from the nrai.
Mandatory to ake part in competitions
To Excellence through Diligence.

inplainsight
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by inplainsight » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:31 pm

Great advice guys. I was planning on applying for both.

AgentDoubleS
Poster of the month - Apr 2015

Post by AgentDoubleS » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:22 pm

Safarigent wrote:But do apply for shooters id from the nrai.
Mandatory to ake part in competitions
Arjun, Can you elaborate on that? Is this different from the membership number I assumed they would grant. I'm going to deposit my application tomorrow so will cover this if needed.

Thanks,
Sumit

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:43 pm

Sumit, as per the new rules (in force for a few years now) you cannot participate in any competition organised by NRAI unless you have a Shooter's ID card. This has NOTHING to do with being/ not being an NRAI member.

The process for this is fairly straight forward - you fill out the Shooter ID card form (with photograph) and deposit it with your State Association OR have it endorsed by the State Association and deposit it with NRAI. A small processing fee is charged (maybe a 100-200 bucks, don't recall the exact figure). They process the forms every few weeks and send the Shooter ID Card to your State Association OR if you keep following up with them - you can go pick it up directly from the NRAI office.

Here too (for Shooter ID Card), having a State/ District Association membership is required while an NRAI membership will NOT help a whit as the application HAS TO be endorsed by a State body.

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

AgentDoubleS

Post by AgentDoubleS » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:07 pm

Thanks Abhijeet, I have rusted!

Will a state body endorse a shooter id card/application if the person is not a member of the state association?

Thanks,
Sumit

inplainsight
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by inplainsight » Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:13 pm

Appeal filed, hearing is set for 16.01.2013!