Relocating to Chennai, India

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
saikumargv
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Relocating to Chennai, India

Post by saikumargv » Mon May 21, 2007 3:11 am

Hi Friends,
I am an US Citizen and am planning to relocate to India in the coming months. I would be residing in Chennai.
I would like to take my .22 S&W 41 with me for target practice.
Do you guys think that this is practical or would that be an impossible task. If it possible what's the prodedure.

Also, to folks in Chennai, please provide references on ranges available in Chennai, what's the procedure for a Non-Indian to use the range and the procedure to purchasing the .22 bullets.

Thanks a lot,
--Sai.

For Advertising mail webmaster
mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Mon May 21, 2007 4:26 am

Hi Sai,

Welcome to IFG :)

There is a provision for foreign nationals bring their gun(s) into India on a Temporary arms license. However, this permit MUST BE obtained PRIOR to departure for India. The process is not likely to be an easy one, especially as this is generally offered to sports persons coming to India to participate in competitions.

For further details on how to go about this, I would recommend that you contact your closest Indian consulate - in your case I guess that would be the one in New York city.

Do post your experience of obtaining a temp permit here :)

HTH

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

saikumargv
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Re: Relocating to Chennai, India

Post by saikumargv » Mon May 21, 2007 6:44 am

Hi Abhijeet,
Thanks for the information.
I think getting Temporary license would be close to impossible from the local consulate.
How difficult would it be getting a firearm license while in India being a US citizen.