Prohibition on Carrying fire arm in Delhi Metro (DMRC)

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
rahul_does
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana
Location: Yamunanagar, India, My bike, wherever I keep my bag.

Prohibition on Carrying fire arm in Delhi Metro (DMRC)

Post by rahul_does » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:48 pm

Hello All.

Following is the email thread that I have been exchanging with Delhi Metro.

CISF has never bothered to reply.

I am filing some RTI applications and then initiating a PIL for getting this right to carry arms restored.

Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2012 05:58:28 -0700 (PDT)

Subject: Re: DMRC

To: [email protected]

Dear Madam / Sir,

I am a civilian and possess a valid All-India licence for a firearm.

Ever since January 2012, there has been a ban on civilian arms-licence holders riding the Delhi Metro, after making an entry in an Arms Register.

I have pursued the matter with the higher-ups at CISF, sent emails that have never been responded to.

I am told that such notifications were issued earlier also, around 26th January and 15th August, but were withdrawn after the sensitive period passed (usually within 10 days.)

This time the de-notification just did not happen.

I am a law-abiding citizen and someone who wants to wreck havoc will never use a licensed weapon. Ajmal Kasab never had a licence.

It is a great drain on monetary resources to have to travel the entire length of the Metro in an auto-rickshaw, just because I have a gun.

With proper documentation and procedures, I can travel by aircraft (Security managed by CISF!!!) but not the Metro.

I request you to please forward this request for revocation of the 26th January, 2012, order to the pertinent authorities so that the commute could become possible for the licensed weapon owners as well.

Thanking you,

Yours truly,

Rahul.

Many reminders later.

On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 1:50 PM, <[email protected]> wrote:

Dear Madam/Sir,
ith reference to your email dated 23 June 2012 regarding revocation of notification prohibiting carrying of weapons in metro, your mail was forwarded to the concerned officer and it has been intimated to us that

there is no such notification which prohibits arms in metro trains on 26 Jan. On the suggestion of security agencies weapon is not allowed in metro.

Further, as per DMRC rules, only the members of the armed forces of the Union Government, State Police, the para-military forces, the National Cadet Corps and other uniformed forces of the Central Government, State Government and Union Territory’s Governments, while on metro railway in the course of their duty, shall carry the authorized weapons, arms and ammunition. Notwithstanding above, inconvenience caused is deeply regretted.

Assuring you of our best services,

Thanking you.

Yours sincerely

Public Complaints Officer

Rahul Sharma Sat, 21 Jul 2012 12:13:02 +0530

To: [email protected]

Dear Sir,

I have been carrying my personal civilian weapon in Delhi Metro, after entering all the relevant details in the arms register, maintained at every entrance of all the stations, for the last 4-5 years!

I would like to know the special circumstances, if any, because of which I am not being allowed to carry it now.

Please do let me know of any order/notification issued in this respect and the issuing authority so that I can pursue the matter accordingly.

there is no such notification which prohibits arms in metro trains on 26 Jan.

This is not what I was told by the security men when I tried to travel via Metro, for the first time in this year. They explicitly told me that there has been a notification, as always, during high-alert time, to prohibit the same for the time being. Such bans, in the past, were always lifted after the important day passed. Not so this time.

On the suggestion of security agencies weapon is not allowed in metro.

Could you please tell me which security "agencies" have made the suggestion, so that I can take up the matter with their concerned officials.

If it is the CISF, itself, then this is the same security agency that has a staffer who threatened to shoot people, just last fortnight, as his pocket was picked!!!

Regards,

Rahul Sharma.

Many more reminders were sent. My email started getting bounced back as a potential spam email.

Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:

[email protected]

Technical details of permanent failure:
Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the recipient domain. We recommend contacting the other email provider for further information about the cause of this error. The error that the other server returned was: 554 554 5.7.1 The message from (<[email protected]>) with the subject of (Personal Weapon Ban Confusion.) matches a profile the Internet community may consider spam. Please revise your message before resending. (state 17).
Sly and Cunning and EVIL that us gun owners are, I did the unmentionable!!! I sent the same email with a reminder using my personal gmail address! ;-)

On 7 August 2012 16:26, <[email protected]> wrote:

Dear Madam/Sir,

With reference to your email dated 1 Aug 2012, we would like to inform that CISF is in charge of the security in DMRC. Further, as per O&M Act duly passed by parliament, the members of the armed forces of the Union Government, State Police, the para-military forces, the National Cadet Corps and other uniformed forces of the Central Government, State Government and Union Territory’s Governments, while on metro railway in the course of their duty, shall carry the authorized weapons, arms and ammunition. Further, in the current security scenario CISF authority which has the responsibility to secure DMRC has followed this rule. Inconvenience caused is regretted.

Assuring you of our best services,

Thanking you.

Yours sincerely
Public Complaints Officer

I am, now, going to apply, through an RTI application, for the rules etc. as both the entities involved, CISF and DMRC, keep telling me that the other is responsible.

I have this in writing, at least, from DMRC.

Let us see what CISF has to say.

Same CISF allows me respectfully in an Airport but treats me as the utmost threat at Lal Qilla and politely does not allow me in Metro.

Shall keep you posted.

Keep shooting,

Ra.

P.S. I own a Beretta 418. (Press CTRL while clicking.)
If I put it behind my wallet and remove the holster from the belt, no one comes to know about it.
I have to DECLARE it for the nincompoops to find it.
I always used to do it AFTER having crossed the 'Metal Detector' and Frisking!!!

MGF Metropolitan Mall is another hassle. The only mall that does not allow me. I used to dare them to call the police and stop me OR show me the restraining order. I always got my way. It was too much of a hassle. Now, I tuck it in my pocket and put phone in the holster. No Problems!!!

The MOST Gun Friendly mall, in my experience, is Pacific Mall, Vishnu Garden. They have a dedicated receipt book and not a bloddy register to enter the details.
Last edited by rahul_does on Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Time heals many wounds and time wounds many heels.

For Advertising mail webmaster
Anand
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: Prohibition on Carrying fire arm in Delhi Metro (DMRC)

Post by Anand » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:34 pm

Hi Rahul,
Keep up the good work! :D Just remember all licensees are going to be affected by this nonsense if people like you don't take up our cause!
I have had a problem with some 5 star hotels, and Inox movie theatre in GVK mall in Hyderabad with regards to carrying a licensed firearm. Some of the malls,theatres,Hotels etc. have the Register to enter all details, some don't, but even of those that have the said register, they ask if I am from the "Department", when I say that I am not but have a license, they say they only allow Police and not licensees.
Even after I explain to them that the licensees authority to carry the firearm is granted by the same Government that allows the Police, they still refuse. The Hotels in question are ITC Kakatiya Sheraton Hotel in Begumpet, and Hyderabad Marriott Hotel on Tank Bund. I had spoken a couple of years ago to the receptionist at ITC and with the head of security at Marriott and both said they don't even allow Police to carry guns inside!! :shock: :roll: But they do have a locker facility to lock up your gun, like in a bank locker where you need 2 keys to open it!!
Regards,
Anand

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:52 pm

I am filing some RTI applications and then initiating a PIL for getting this right to carry arms restored.
Very good. But before filing the PIL, if you do not mind, discuss all the legal points here, so that the PIL is literally watertight so that it does not get dismissed or defeated.
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992

rahul_does
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by rahul_does » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:57 pm

I shall.

rajeshpandeyasia
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by rajeshpandeyasia » Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:14 pm

Hello All,

Myself Rajesh Pandey, residing in Delhi.

if anyone can tell me, if i can give a stun gun to my sister who travels in metro daily.

i want to give her for her security purpose, but i do not know, if she will be allowed to carry stun gun in Metro.

Also i understand that there is no liscence requirement for keeping a stun gun.

Looking for a prompt response, as if carrying stun gun is allowed in Delhi Metro, then i would get the ASAP for my sis.

Regards,
Rajesh Pandey

Chandan22
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Chandan22 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:42 pm

Hello,

I'm not sure how any public place can blanket ban licenced weapons. My experience
a. Oberoi Hotel: Very decently asked for a copy of my licence and that was it.
b. Meridien Hotel: Insisted on storing in locker they provided
c. Malls including saket, VK etc. simply refuse. No questions, no arguments.
d. Bars/Lounges etc refuse

As per the law, any public place is allowed, however, with the new concept of Firearm Free Zones, if they give out these licences to anyone, then the only place one can carry a licenced fiream will be the road !

I've taken to carrying concealed, where mostly even after frisking no one catches on.

I"m all for taking up this matter...

Can we all post where all we have carried and what was the experience?

~C

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:57 pm

Chandan22 wrote:I"m all for taking up this matter...

~C
Instead of taking this matter in a legally narrow manner, it is better to take it in a legally substantial manner to attack the root cause of the problem.

Please read this post in another thread viewtopic.php?f=4&t=24511&start=105#p243133

I am working on the petition. Will try to complete it before 15th August. Already sent the incomplete copy on which presently working to rahul_does Another member spin_drift also had expressed his desire to take this matter in Supreme Court. Copy has also been sent to him earlier. If anyone interested to get the copy, may PM me his email id.

Since this is going to be a long fight, perhaps it would also be better if those in or around Delhi co ordinate this matter among themselves(if possible also those involved with NAGRI too) and draw up some long term workable result oriented strategy.
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992

rahul_does
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by rahul_does » Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:52 am

I had to come to Bhopal till 18th. On return, shall devote myself to this cause!

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

rahul_does
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Re: RE: Re: Prohibition on Carrying fire arm in Delhi Metro (DMRC)

Post by rahul_does » Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:39 am

goodboy_mentor wrote:
Chandan22 wrote:I"m all for taking up this matter...

~C
Instead of taking this matter in a legally narrow manner, it is better to take it in a legally substantial manner to attack the root cause of the problem.

Please read this post in another thread viewtopic.php?f=4&t=24511&start=105#p243133

I am working on the petition. Will try to complete it before 15th August. Already sent the incomplete copy on which presently working to rahul_does Another member spin_drift also had expressed his desire to take this matter in Supreme Court. Copy has also been sent to him earlier. If anyone interested to get the copy, may PM me his email id.

Since this is going to be a long fight, perhaps it would also be better if those in or around Delhi co ordinate this matter among themselves(if possible also those involved with NAGRI too) and draw up some long term workable result oriented strategy.
Appointment with lawyer fixed, tomorrow, 3PM.

Chandan22
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Chandan22 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:30 pm

Any update on this gentlemen?

~C

rahul_does
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by rahul_does » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:08 am

On the Metro or the petition?