Question

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
spacetraveller
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Question

Post by spacetraveller » Thu May 17, 2007 8:54 pm

Dear All
Great to be part of this group. Abhijeet and team is doing a great job maintaing this exclusive site.

Now the Q.
Can anyone tell me more about the law relating to exports or imports of old or antique guns. Also how does one go about trying to find a good old Purdy or H&H shotgun.

Thanks

Spacetraveller

For Advertising mail webmaster
mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Thu May 17, 2007 9:12 pm

Welcome aboard Spacetraveller!

Since your ID is likely to attract all manner of corny wisecracks, I'll be decent about it and refrain from my end ;) :lol:

Coming to your question - Antiques, guns or otherwise cannot be exported out of the country, however in practice, this is often flouted with people paying small sums of money to the ASI (Archaeological Survey of India) officers to get a certificate to the effect that the item in question is not an antique! :roll: Otherwise (besides an item being classified as an antique) guns of "popular and current calibre" cannot be exported. This basically means that guns for whom ammunition is NOT manufactured in India may be exported after obtaining prior permissions.

Already, the vast majority of valuable guns in India have been exported and are now in the hands of overseas collectors, where without doubt they are in much better care than they would have been in India.... our laws ensuring that any gun here will die an early death, due to the non-availability of quality spares and ammunition! :evil:

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

spacetraveller
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by spacetraveller » Thu May 17, 2007 9:38 pm

Abhijeet
Thanks for the quick reply.
You confirmed my doubts about archaic laws governing anything to do with guns.
I have been through hell to get a license for a prohibited bore S&W revolver which I inherited from my dad. If I knew how much effort it takes I would have applied for a petrol pump or a gas agency instead.
Thanks and keep up the great work.
Spacetraveller