NSP handguns

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
target shooter
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

NSP handguns

Post by target shooter » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:18 pm

Hi,
Can someone please tell, who all are authorized NSP handguns. And whom it can be transferred to. In one of the thread it was mentioned 'Armed forces' Pardon me I'm not very clear about it.
Can it (NSP) be transferred to a police officer or CPMF officers too. Pl. do reply.

Regards,
TS

For Advertising mail webmaster
goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: NSP handguns

Post by goodboy_mentor » Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:14 pm

NSP firearms are basically NPB firearms that are seized by army from criminals and then allotted to army officers under some conditions. Read somewhere that army has issued orders so that officers can sell the allotted firearms as allowed by Arms Act 1959 to arms license holders. But this information needs to be confirmed.
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992

target shooter
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by target shooter » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:26 pm

goodboy_mentor wrote:NSP firearms are basically NPB firearms that are seized by army from criminals and then allotted to army officers under some conditions. Read somewhere that army has issued orders so that officers can sell the allotted firearms as allowed by Arms Act 1959 to arms license holders. But this information needs to be confirmed.

Thanks G Mentor, if that is true then we can expect a pleasant flood of handgun arms in the market. if you come across the ruling please do let us know.
Too bad the IFG has removed / restricted the sell & buy section.

Regards,
TS

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:48 pm

This is the judgment I was reading where SAO 4/S/2006 has been referred that says officers can sell the allotted firearms as allowed under the regulations of Arms Act 1959.

Please refer this link http://aftdelhi.nic.in/benches/jaipur_b ... 022010.pdf If you read this judgment, in point number 5 para 25 of SAO 4/S/2006 has been referred that it clearly provides that resale of NSP weapons will be governed by Arms Act, 1959. And SAO 1/S/1996 has been superseded by SAO 4/S/2006. It has been mentioned that the SAO 4/S/2006 says that no disciplinary action can be initiated against any army personnel who has purchased or sold the NSP or other kind of weapons in compliance with the Rules, Regulations provided under the Arms Act 1959.

If anyone has copy of SAO 4/S/2006, please share it. It would give a more clear picture. Moreover the SAOs(Standing Army Orders) are internal army circulars, they cannot supersede the law of the land, in this case Arms the Act 1959. Whenever there is conflict between SAOs and law of the land, the law has to prevail.
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992

target shooter
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by target shooter » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:56 pm

Sir, A very well researched. And thanks for putting it in more clearer thought process. meantime I'll try to contact few friends who are in Army to see if they could tell me something more about the sao 06.

regards,
TS

target shooter
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by target shooter » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:08 pm

Waiting.... yet to hear more expert comments from eagles of the legal eagles.

Regards,
TS

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:56 pm

What is exactly that you want to know? Where you able to get a copy of SAO 4/S/2006?

target shooter
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by target shooter » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:41 pm

goodboy_mentor wrote:What is exactly that you want to know? Where you able to get a copy of SAO 4/S/2006?

Hi,
Not yet, someone said he will find out and let me know. but he is yet respond.
My query is 'Is it possible to transfer it from an army pers to non army person ? If so, then how to go about it.

Regards,
TS

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:38 pm

If you note your reply in one of your posts above, you have said that you will try to contact few friends who are in Army to see if they could tell you something more about the SAO 4/S/2006. You may try getting copy of SAO 4/S/2006 by RTI.

target shooter
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by target shooter » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:28 pm

I wonder if they respond to RTI. Few friends I have spoken have not seen or read the 2006, People only read and retain their field of interest. I am in touch.

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:52 pm

I wonder if they respond to RTI.
RTI Act 2005 is very much applicable to armed forces and they provide information under RTI Act 2005. Since RTI Act 2005 is applicable to army, there is a manual on RTI available on the official website of Indian Army. It can be acessed at http://www.indianarmy.gov.in/writereadd ... ual-I_.pdf

They certainly respond to RTI if the information sought is not exempt from being provided under RTI Act 2005. It does not appear that the part of SAO 4/S/2006 that is talking about NSP weapons, sale and resale of NSP weapons is something "secret" and thus needs to be exempt under RTI. Therefore if you do an RTI with the proper office that has SAO 4/S/2006 or its copy, they should provide you with copy of the same. Also another link on army website provides a basic information about sale resale of NSP weapons. It is available at http://indianarmy.nic.in/writereaddata/ ... p_call.pdf I am pasting the relevant portion below:
Sale and Disposal of NSP Weapons and Exemption From Payment of Fee for Grant or Renewal of Arms License.

(a) NSP Weapons.

(i) Serving/Retired Officers, JCOs and Serving Class I Civilian Gazetted Officers are entitled to purchase NSP weapons ex-Ordnance as per SAO 4/S/2006. Entitled persons will be allotted only one NSP weapon during his entire service including post retirement period. Any officers/JCO who has been convicted under Army Act or those who are below 21 years of age will not be entitled for allotment of any NSP weapon. The weapon will be allotted by Standing Allotment Committee and approve by the MGO. Application for allotment of NSP weapon should be fwd to IHQ of MoD (Army) (OS-15A).

(ii) Resale of NSP weapon will be governed by Army Act 1959, Chapter II with prior sanction of the Standing Allotment Committee. NSP weapon purchased ex- Ordnance will be sold at reasonable rates to entitled persons as given in (i) above. If sanction to sell/transfer as mentioned above is not accorded by the Standing Allotment Committee, the weapon will be returned to COD Jabalpur by the allottee under information to the Civil Licensing Authority.

(iii) On demise of an Individual the legal heirs of the deceased weapon holder may apply to the Standing Allotment Committee for retention of the weapon as family heirloom on sentimental reasons. If sanction for retention is not granted, the weapon will be returned to COD Jabalpur.

target shooter
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by target shooter » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:55 pm

Sir,
You have a PM.
Regards,
TS

target shooter
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by target shooter » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:10 pm

Hi,
Thanks for the quick response to my PM.
Surprisingly, sr army officers are not having this SAO/4/S 2006.

Regards,
TS

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:22 pm

If you desire may try doing an RTI application directly.

casual shooter
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Status of COD issued weapons

Post by casual shooter » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:31 am

There is this agent offering a .380 HSC of a retired Army officer, i have read some where in this forum only, that there is a ban on the sale of COD jabalpur issues, even though this gentleman has a NOC and sales permission from the local Police and is leaving india to settle abroad.
seeking advise, must i plunge or not...