bringing Ammo back to India?

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:50 am

Well penpusher,
the day I get my stock upto 50, thats the day you buy your ticket for a bang fest! ;)
Sounds a bit scary, Wouldnt want your name popping up in a BATF/FBI look out notice on landing in US? I dont mind going the 'dealer to consign ' ammo way!
Best
Axx
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

For Advertising mail webmaster
mehulkamdar

Re: bringing Ammo back to India?

Post by mehulkamdar » Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:07 am

Asif,

Getting a dealer to do the work is fairly simple. Just a matter of money, nothing else. The only problem is that with some airports there are more restrictions than with others. For example, O Hare and the New York airports are notoriously anti gun and ammunition and dealers there may charge a little more as they have more work to do. And, even through Chicago, it is not all that much a problem if you take this route.

As I have posted here, last year, I was with an Indian industrialist who flew back on Air India and who had bought some ammunition from a dealership near O Hare. They took care of all the relevant formalities and he flew back to India without a hitch. Just find a dealer who is close to an airport as he would have to submit a set of forms to customs 24 hours ahead of your flight and then hand the ammunition with the customs' written permission to your airline in an airline approved box. After that, the airline hands the package over to customs in India. Just bring your license from India as customs here may want to see it. And, if you go to a dealer who is a long way from the airport, he may charge you some more because of the extra time and distance that he would have to make two trips for.

WRT the BATFE/FBI, there are some very dangerous spots in this country and some very dangerous people like in any large country. The authorities have their hands full keeping a watch on them as well as on the increasingly corrupt police in several parts of the US. They are not going to bother about someone who buys ammunition for export legally and goes through all the relevant formalities. If you follow the law, the US is the best place to be in to enjoy shooting etc and also, probably the cheapest place to buy ammunition or accessories to take back with you because it is cheaper than buying in other countries. With a huge community of gun owners, the economies of scale work very favourably for buyers here.

Cheers!

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:18 am

Thanks for that mehul, I thought i ahd lost it, but for your encouragement and 'update' on the situation circa 2006!
Best
Axx
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

mehulkamdar

Re: bringing Ammo back to India?

Post by mehulkamdar » Sun Apr 22, 2007 4:07 am

Just remembered something else. The export of shotguns and shotshells is not governed by the BATFE but by the US Dep of Commerce. Not that it makes any real difference to an Indian looking to have a dealer carry out these formalities, but if you go to a dealer who may not have exported before, then it would help to remember this fact.

Asif,

I am sure that we could find a good dealer for you wherever you plan on taking a flight out from if you let us know in advance. Mark is a moderator on one of the biggest forums in the world, AR, and it would probably take twenty minutes to find a dealer near whichever international airport you would be flying out of to handle the export formalities.

Risala
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Risala » Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:08 pm

marksman";p="18472 wrote:Well said penpusher, unless you are looking for some ammo that is almost impossible to come by in India, it's not worth the trouble. It spells more trouble 'cause FBI starts keeping a tab on your movement as well. They are a very sensitive lot after 9/11, and one can hardly blame them. Rather pay more and get it delivered at home.
Marksman
I would agree with Marksman,the process from the US is pretty painful and the law is clear regarding purchase and export of ammunition by a non immigrant alien.
Only a FFL can export the same after obtaining clearance from the Dept of Commerce.
And getting an export Lic.

For more pl check the link below

http://www.atf.treas.gov/pub/fire-explo ... 300_18.pdf

Asif the UK might just be a better bet for the 450/400.
As a lot of the NRAI top 25 import from this neck of the woods.
Do check with the Airline before though on restrictions if any.

PS has any IFG member imported ammo in person recently,would appreciate if he or she would share their exp.

Best

Sanjay

marksman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by marksman » Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:25 pm

Mehul,
I am not joking. You are a resident Indian and we are talking about a tourist visiting for a short period here. Infact , the authrorities concerned brush you off by a stern "NO" in most cases. I would hate to discourage a fellow shooter but I talk out of personal experience. It's generally the time factor that works against us tourists. Any ways they treat our Indian Arms license as piece of useless paper. I'd appreciate if you managed to find some kind of a fool proof time saving method that'll help us all out at least in the state and place where you are based.
Cheers!
Marksman
Exercise in Logic:
Given that there are far more good guys than bad guys, what would happen if all good guys and all bad guys were armed???......Simple, isn't it ?---Jeff Cooper

"Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't
be any India because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our
women and breed a hardier race!"