bringing Ammo back to India?

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
conty1
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

bringing Ammo back to India?

Post by conty1 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:13 pm

My dad is visiting me and when he goes back would like to carry some ammo with him... 12 guage shells and .22 cartridges. I have read here before that this might be possible. If it is, what does he need to bring along from India. Apart from his license?!?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Amit

For Advertising mail webmaster
dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:19 pm

a lucky rabbit foot, a few horse shoes, a five leafed clover ;-)...nah.... actually he needs the license and just the exact number of cartridges that he is allowed.

dev
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

badshah0522
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by badshah0522 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:39 pm

The Big Boss";p="18203 wrote: Import permission. Maximum allowed is 50 cartridges.
However if import permission and licence is carried I guess a total of 50 rounds of Ammo can be imorted.
Big Boss,
Good Knowledge regarding Indian customs rule & regulation..
How many gun licence :) you have in afganistan?

Thanks a lot for info.
"Strength is not about how strong u can kick, it's about how strong the life is kicking u and u standup again to keep on going"

Sujay
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Sujay » Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:41 pm

badshah0522";p="18208 wrote: How many gun licence :) you have in afganistan?
Licencing authority in Afganisthan ? :shock:

Well can't say.... anything is possible in these troubled times :twisted:
A man should have a hobby. It keeps him out of trouble.

sa_ali
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by sa_ali » Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:56 pm

lil confusion i think here, badshah bro might me trying to ans some thing which Big Boss might had ans here, but since that user is banned we are not to see his ans here. :)

Amit bro can get for info from the following thread

http://indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php ... highlight=
on this thread jst scroll lil down and u will get ans to your questions.

Ali

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:08 pm

50 rounds of ammo can be imported by a returning Indian citizen - subject to the license limits.

"The Big Boss" was the new "reincarnation" of an ex-member who was previously banned, hence he has been banned again, for posting under false pretences and trying to circumvent the previous ban.

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:00 pm

but i thought his new forum was gonna shut us down ;-) In the meantime Mr. Rogers would big boss to write banned five hundred times in his forum.

Regards,

Dev
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

marksman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by marksman » Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:46 pm

Seems BAATF has ristricted all (non immigrant) aliens from buying Arms or Ammo in the US. this amendment came into being in Feb' 2002. This includes people having diplomatic immunity as well. However one can always seek the advice of the concerned authority after landing in the US. Certain Airlines would allow 5 kg of ammo in the original packing as a personal check in baggage though. Surely Mehul may be able to guide you in this case. IMHO, It's not worth it.
marksman
Exercise in Logic:
Given that there are far more good guys than bad guys, what would happen if all good guys and all bad guys were armed???......Simple, isn't it ?---Jeff Cooper

"Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't
be any India because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our
women and breed a hardier race!"

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: bringing Ammo back to India?

Post by Mack The Knife » Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:29 pm

Marksman,

Do you have a link where it says that the BATF has restricted sale of ammo to visitors to the U.S. since 2002?

Mack The Knife

axp817
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by axp817 » Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:56 pm

It is true that Non-Immigrant aliens (people on visitor's visas, work visas, other non-immigrant visas) cannot generally purchase/possess firearms or ammunition in the U.S. There are a few exceptions to this rule.

ATF page on rules that apply to non-immigrant aliens
http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/02200 ... pdates.htm

ATF page on FAQs for non-immigrant aliens purchasing firearms/ammunition
http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/form6updatesfaqs.htm

ATF contact details (I have called them in the past, and as long as you are clear in explaining what you are exactly trying to do and if you have done some research yourself (e.g. you know what needs to be done, what forms to fill out, from their website, but just want to confirm/get a second opinion), they will do that on the phone)
http://atf.treas.gov/contact/index.htm

I don't know what the rules on the Indian side are like, if it is a meagre 50 rounds, would it be worth all the hassle (i.e. if it is a hassle, forms, etc. to be filled here, forms to be filled there)?

My father has firearms in India, and is a very frequent visitor to the U.S. (once every two months or so), but has never taken any ammunition back. His firearms dealer in Ahmedabad has imported pistol ammunition, and that seems to suffice his needs (not sure if he has shotgun/rifle ammo too).

-N

sa_ali
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by sa_ali » Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:25 pm

thanks for the update bro
This looks like pretty long trouble to get jst 50 :(

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:46 pm

Naren,

There is a far simpler way. Just ask your dealer to consign the ammunition with the airline under which your father travels for a fee. They would take care of all the paperwork and in India your father would have to collect the ammunition from customs. While this sounds complicated, it is actually a lot simpler than it sounds. It does cost some money in service charges but those are unavoidable if you want ammunition for use in India. I do think that after all the effort, you would still get a better price than buying in India.

Cheers!

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:05 pm

If I had a 450/400 double,it would not look like trouble at all :lol: and 50 would suffice.

penpusher

marksman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by marksman » Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:23 pm

Well said penpusher, unless you are looking for some ammo that is almost impossible to come by in India, it's not worth the trouble. It spells more trouble 'cause FBI starts keeping a tab on your movement as well. They are a very sensitive lot after 9/11, and one can hardly blame them. Rather pay more and get it delivered at home.
Marksman
Exercise in Logic:
Given that there are far more good guys than bad guys, what would happen if all good guys and all bad guys were armed???......Simple, isn't it ?---Jeff Cooper

"Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't
be any India because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our
women and breed a hardier race!"

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:40 am

marksman";p="18472 wrote:Well said penpusher, unless you are looking for some ammo that is almost impossible to come by in India, it's not worth the trouble. It spells more trouble 'cause FBI starts keeping a tab on your movement as well.
Marksman
You're joking, right? The FBI has much better things to do than follow people who buy 50 rounds of ammunition from a dealer and ask him to consign it to their airline as unaccompanied baggage.

Oh well, I need to pick up my binoculars and check if there are any black helicopters flying above my condo. I do own guns and am a legally resident Indian in the US...