Do swords, knives need a licence in India?

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:57 pm

penpusher wrote:Mack The Knife 'Chakubaz' :) Now all that is missing is a scar on the face along with a big mole :lol:
:mrgreen:

Funny you should say that. Finally got off my butt and had a big sebaecious cyst removed from my ugly mug on the 19th. Opted for scalpel and sutures (Rs.600/-) rather than shell out Rs.5,000/- to have it zapped by a laser. This ofcourse will leave behind a scar over which all young ladies shall swoon when I tell them it was a duelling scar acquired during my uni days in Prussia. ;) :mrgreen:

Mack The Knife
Last edited by Mack The Knife on Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

For Advertising mail webmaster
Kshatriya
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Kshatriya » Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:58 pm

Thanks for the advice.
Chakubaaz sounds great...and Golibaaz to boot :D
U.S Army Rifle Cal .30 M1917 Remington Bolt Action
Cal 32 ACP IOF Pistol

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:01 pm

Kshatriya wrote:Chakubaaz sounds great...and Golibaaz to boot :D
HAHAHAHA...

Excellent! :mrgreen:

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Sun Jul 23, 2006 12:36 am

penpusher wrote:Inder,
In the situation that you describe a stick would be a better option than a knife. A pepper spray would be even better.
But I can't carry a stick around in my pants :mrgreen:, Yah i also think pepper spray is a better option but Cobra got a very big container which can't be carried in pocket, you need a bag for that and getting it out from bag takes time. In my opinion in INDIA most of the times you don't have to use your weapon, just look of it deter most people away unless somebody is hell bent of causing you harm.
penpusher wrote: As far as the length of the sword goes,it's not specified.So if we meet should I expect to see you dragging one of those swords used in Braveheart (don't know what they call it) :D Seen some pretty large Khandas also.Talking about swords,there are quite a no. of Indian ones.Mack The Knife / Asif are the experts on sharp edged weapons. Perhaps they can shed light on this in the General Rambling forum ( this is to avoid a stern warning about choosing the right forum for discussion) Perhaps a post there about the traditional weapons of India,with a brief description of the weapon along with the areas where it was used and local variations,if any.
Take care,
penpusher
I would love to meet you that?s for sure but I was asking for the length of dagger or knife, is it same like others or Sikhs have some separate rules for them? Talking about large khandas. I once saw one old Nihang Singh carrying one at Anandpur Saheb must have been 5 or 51/2 foot in length.
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

monty3006
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by monty3006 » Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:45 am

Penpusher,

According to the arms act 1962 , double edged blades also require a license? Is that true?

I think its high time we get some lawyers in on IFG

monish
Monish

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:29 pm

Guys, i have a copy of Arms Act 1959 and this is what it has to say about sharp edged weapons, nevermind what the banks and airlines say...

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j1/eljefe06/scan2.jpg
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j1/eljefe06/scan1.jpg

Mack The Knife, I would have done it under the nearest tree-remove your sebaceous cyst-while waiting for a nibble...gratis-with my newest folder-will post pics later.
penpusher,
I havent seen Braveheart, venturing a guess, it may be a Scottish Claymore , or a crusader style straight blade sword...
Yes, we do need to get a couple of gun loving lawyers in here.
Best
Axx
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:56 am

The discussion on where to buy nice "folders" has been split from this thread and moved to the "Archery, Knives & other edged tools" forum.

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:46 am

My gun license (book type) had a last page with the title "Swords and Daggers" or something like that. Don't know if anyone had a sword registered - at the old Moore market in Chennai swords used to be sold openly. They still are in shops in Southern Tamilnadu and many people hang them on their walls on display. ANybody with a recent gun license who could check?

Varinder
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Re: Do swords, knives need a licence in India?

Post by Varinder » Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:06 pm

I'm kind of unsure on this topic. On my visit to Punjab last december (I have family in Jallandhar district), I purchased myself a tulwar from a local shop. I was asked for no license or credentials.

Also, a day before my return I saw a Nihang Singh on a motorbike (what next?) with a rifle and a large tulwar (approx 38") along with various other weapons.

I do not think that his rifle was licenced or his tulwar. Plus, keeping a tulwar in Punjab is a 'cultural thing' .. so I have my doubts about sword licensing.

- Varinder

dsingh
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by dsingh » Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:50 pm

kanwar76";p="1271 wrote: I was wondering about same thing too, on my way back from office last week, Saw 4-5 guys badly rough up a young man. Reason he merely touched one of them with his scooter. Then some cops turned up and calmed down things but those guys still kept landing occasional punches. I was thinking if I ever land into that kind of situation and found in possession of a long hunting knife. Then what will be those cops reaction. I am a Sikh and I am allowed to carry swords/daggers but Is there any length specified for us also?

And is there any restriction on sharpness of blade also?

Inder
Dear Friend, there is lot of variety nowdays like China made kirpans u can get from market or from religious fairs like hola mohalla or jor mela at cheap rates if u want proper sikh kirpan but u have decide the nature of kirpan or sword one is simple made another is Tegha which r both machine made manufatured under licence inAmritsar or manualy made in PATIALA in machine made TEGHA there is guarntee of 30 years and hand made TEGHA is lifetime main advantage of tegha is when u r attacked with hard object like big stick or iron rod TEGHA SWORD if used in stopping will cutt off stick or metal rod but if u hit attacker tegha sword injuries are very severe if hit with some force can sever the limb it can compete with kattana japanese sword .Then there is kasmiri kirpan which I carry new kashmiri kirpans r not good mine is more than 150 years old and is double edged very sharp but is 8 inches I never have problem visting high security zones as a sikh I can keep it and wear . You can wear it choice is yours traditional kirpans r available at Patiala near Gurdwara Dukhnivaran Shaib and if u want teghas SWORD then u can get best one at 500 bucks in Patiala after some bargaining can get at 400 , There is no restriction on sharping or blunt.

Pran
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by Pran » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:26 am

Inder,
Don't even dream of taking your knife out in case of a road rage on Bangalore roads.You'll end up in the police station and have to pay the cops and your 'victim' to drop charges.

Pran
"A gun is a tool, Marian. No better, no worse than any other tool. An axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it."

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:28 pm

Pran";p="21637 wrote: Inder,
Don't even dream of taking your knife out in case of a road rage on Bangalore roads.You'll end up in the police station and have to pay the cops and your 'victim' to drop charges.

Pran
No Pran... I am not thinking of anything like that..

-Inder
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

dsingh
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by dsingh » Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:46 pm

Varinder";p="12311 wrote: I'm kind of unsure on this topic. On my visit to Punjab last december (I have family in Jallandhar district), I purchased myself a tulwar from a local shop. I was asked for no license or credentials.

Also, a day before my return I saw a Nihang Singh on a motorbike (what next?) with a rifle and a large tulwar (approx 38") along with various other weapons.

I do not think that his rifle was licenced or his tulwar. Plus, keeping a tulwar in Punjab is a 'cultural thing' .. so I have my doubts about sword licensing.

- Varinder
Dear friend Nihangs r allowed to carry traditional weapons through a special rule traditional arms included spear,quiot,coiled sword,khandas, teghas, khanjar. During medival times it was essential for Nihangs to carry at least 17 types of weapons but under arms act it is essential to get licence for sword keeping execpt for sikhs in accodance with article 25 of constitution of india kirpan is the term of sword but each sikh can keep only one kirpan irrespective of size.But for Kirpan factory you need a licence for manufaturing just like firearm licence .

dsingh
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by dsingh » Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:54 pm

monty3006";p="3573 wrote: penpusher,

According to the arms act 1962 , double edged blades also require a license? Is that true?

I think its high time we get some lawyers in on IFG
monishDear brother Iam a practising lawyer in Punjab and Haryana High court you have a lawyer friend in this forum.

dsingh
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by dsingh » Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:12 pm

During HOLA MOHALLA or JORMELA festivals NIHANGS put up stalls to sell traditional weapons but among them BUDDHA DAL stalls sell different type of swords at 500 bucks for each one quality is the best and different stalls for antique swords which sells at minimum 1000 or more .In FAEHGARH SHAIB fair I saw a fighting axe with such a big size I can never forget blade was very hugh and one and a half feet broad .One of the sword which they called SARHOHI and another called SAIF was lightest and TEGHAS which they regard ultimate weapon was very heavy along with various types of swords. cheers