Do swords, knives need a licence in India?

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
Olly
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Do swords, knives need a licence in India?

Post by Olly » Tue May 24, 2011 9:35 am

Rajat wrote:EssDee: The law / arms act says blades up to 9" etc. are permissible but much remains in the discretion and rests on the interpretation of these morons in the customs and the police.

You would not like to get caught by the police simply carrying a 7" or 6" knife for that matter. You are going to have a hard time trying to give an explanation and to prove it in the court (tareekh pe tareekh) if they charge you of some sort of offence like " Sandidhight (suspicious) awastha me ghoomete hue pakda" which seems to be their favorite.

As for all the touristy stuff available: if questioned it really comes under the "grey" area and can form an offence against the seller and the buyer. Otherwise these are well tolerated by everyone.

These swords etc lying at home are well tolerated and most of these are passed down from generations but I would advice against carrying these everyday.

About your S & W folder through courier. The chances are bright that it will reach you, although if it is opened for examination they may call for an explanation and you can give them a copy of this section of the arms act etc.

+1

For Advertising mail webmaster
Woods
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Woods » Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:55 pm

Govt of India notification u/s 04 Arms Act applies to whole of India , prescribes licencing for sharp edged weapon (knives etc) having a blade length of 9 inches or longer / blade width of 2 inches or more .... In certain states ( for example Madhya Pradesh ) the State Govt has issued it"s own notification for blade length / width ( Madhya Pradesh notification prescribes licencing for blade lengths of 6 inches or more in length / 2 inches in width ), Almost all notifications say that spring actuated knife of any size requires licence to be CARRIED IN PUBLIC PLACE .

Wanderer
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Wanderer » Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:02 pm

I've gone through the forum, but am still not clear if one needs license to possess, buy or sell decorative swords with blunt edge (false blade). While Arms Act says nothing much beyond firearms, it's also mentioned regarding moving around with blades longer than 9 inches.

However, my query is regarding decorative swords. And not for moving around with it, but to possess, buy or sell.

While interpretation always depends on authorities in question, is it a a state subject, ie are there different rules for possession/buying/selling by state? (Beyond Punjab of course). Per se, people use such swords in religious & wedding ceremonies all the time.

Thankful for any clarification from expert boarders.

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:19 pm

Wanderer wrote:I've gone through the forum, but am still not clear if one needs license to possess, buy or sell decorative swords with blunt edge (false blade). While Arms Act says nothing much beyond firearms, it's also mentioned regarding moving around with blades longer than 9 inches.

However, my query is regarding decorative swords. And not for moving around with it, but to possess, buy or sell.

While interpretation always depends on authorities in question, is it a a state subject, ie are there different rules for possession/buying/selling by state? (Beyond Punjab of course). Per se, people use such swords in religious & wedding ceremonies all the time.

Thankful for any clarification from expert boarders.
1. If the knife or sword has unsharpened blunt edge then it is not a knife or sword. It is just a strip of decorative metal with a handle at one end. Therefore it cannot be considered as edged weapon.

2. If the edge is sharpened then Scetion 4 of Arms Act 1959 would apply. May read the following for further details viewtopic.php?f=20&t=24453&p=242368#p242310
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992

Knifologist
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Not exactly".Spring loaded knives with a blade that opens up on the press of a button"!!!

Post by Knifologist » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:21 pm

penpusher wrote:Mack The Knife,

Let me be more specific.Spring loaded knives with a blade that opens up on the press of a button, with a blade of whatever length ,are prohibited.The same would not apply if the folding blade has to be opened and locked in the open position by hand. Carrying a knife clipped on to your belt is inviting trouble.If a person is caught carrying a kitchen knife in his pocket in a public place ,that would also lead to trouble,because then the question of intent comes into operation.

Take care,
Knives that open or/and close on actuating a switch are called automatic knives. (eg: most stilettos, ultratech series from microtech knives , and so on) Spring assisted knives are those which need manual effort to open them( aided by an internal spring). I've ordered assisted knives online and have got them delivered to India. If I carry one of those for my edc it will be inside the pocket of my pants. But I'm not sure of the laws governing these so please correct me if I am wrong...

Knifologist
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Knifologist » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:35 pm

I am not sure about the answer though. But if someone would be willing to join the Indian Knife/EDC community on instagram just leave me a messege at "the_knifologist"