Do swords, knives need a licence in India?

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
sat
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Do swords, knives need a licence in India?

Post by sat » Sat Jul 22, 2006 8:47 am

Do we need licence for swords in India? What is the procedure? I heard knives with blades over a certain length also require some paperwork?

Sat

For Advertising mail webmaster
penpusher

Post by penpusher » Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:00 am

Sat,

One of the objects of the Arms Act 1959,was to stop the harasment of the Indian citizens including over the posession of a knife. Unfortunately, the Arms Act retained the provision of classifying certain knives as weapons.This is ,as you have correctly pointed out, based on the length of the blade.What is even more important is the intent with which the knife is carried.
The exception to this was that Gurkhas were allowed to carry a Khukhri and Sikhs were allowed to carry a sword.Even this is not absolute.If prohibitory orders are in place,then even this right is suspended.The licensing authorities have generally never issued a license for a knife or a sword and what has no precedse will never be done by a babu.My suggestion is to keep the blade shorter than 9" and not to carry a sword unless you are gettin married or as a part of some other festival/ ceremony,even of you are a Sikh or a Gurkha.Spring actuated knives ( Rampuri ) and sword sticks (Guptis) are banned

This is as far as carrying a knife/sword goes.As far owning them is concerned,unless you are the member of a fundamentalist organisation , nobody will bother about the knives / swords that you keep at home.

Take care,

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:39 am

Mack The Knife, take note!
thanks for that, Was wondering when my small collection would come under a scanner.If that happens, then fish hooks and kitchen knives may be next!
Best
Axx
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:21 pm

Noted. Really need to do a trial run with an el cheapo knife provided the postage isn't a killer.

Mack The Knife

Kshatriya
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Kshatriya » Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:17 pm

From what penpusher said, am I correct to assume that folders from Spyderco or Cold Steel with blades less that 9" do not fall in category of 'spring knives" or "Rampuris" ?
Can they be carried (in a belt clip,perhaps)without any trouble under Arms Act ?
If the answer to above is "Yes",may I ask how can one get a folder from abroad legally ?
Thanks.
U.S Army Rifle Cal .30 M1917 Remington Bolt Action
Cal 32 ACP IOF Pistol

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:47 pm

Kshatriya,
If the answer to above is "Yes",may I ask how can one get a folder from abroad legally ?
You will find that out at your own expense. But do share your experience.

Take care,

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:53 pm

I carry one on a belt pouch and Asif clips his to his pocket - both less conspicuous than openly clipping it to your belt, which could get you stopped if nothing else.

Is it legal to do so with a lock knife? To be honest, my answer would be, "I guess so." as I am not 100% certain.

As for importing a knife. Apparently, it is legal to import via post but I haven't tried this route yet. Having friends or relations bring one or two in has not been a problem though.

Mack The Knife

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:06 pm

Mack The Knife,

Let me be more specific.Spring loaded knives with a blade that opens up on the press of a button, with a blade of whatever length ,are prohibited.The same would not apply if the folding blade has to be opened and locked in the open position by hand. Carrying a knife clipped on to your belt is inviting trouble.If a person is caught carrying a kitchen knife in his pocket in a public place ,that would also lead to trouble,because then the question of intent comes into operation.

Take care,

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:08 pm

I was wondering about same thing too, on my way back from office last week, Saw 4-5 guys badly rough up a young man. Reason he merely touched one of them with his scooter. Then some cops turned up and calmed down things but those guys still kept landing occasional punches. I was thinking if I ever land into that kind of situation and found in possession of a long hunting knife. Then what will be those cops reaction. I am a Sikh and I am allowed to carry swords/daggers but Is there any length specified for us also?

And is there any restriction on sharpness of blade also?

Inder
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:23 pm

Inder,

In the situation that you describe a stick would be a better option than a knife.A pepper spray would be even better.

As far as the length of the sword goes,it's not specified.So if we meet should I expect to see you dragging one of those swords used in Braveheart (don't know what they call it) :D Seen some pretty large Khandas also.Talking about swords,there are quite a no. of Indian ones.Mack The Knife / Asif are the experts on sharp edged weapons. Perhaps they can shed light on this in the General Rambling forum ( this is to avoid a stern warning about choosing the right forum for discussion) Perhaps a post there about the traditional weapons of India,with a brief description of the weapon along with the areas where it was used and local variations,if any.

Take care,

Kshatriya
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Kshatriya » Sat Jul 22, 2006 8:38 pm

I had said "a belt clip" because I saw the folders advertised on the "spyderco" site had belt clips incorporated in them.
Asking relatives/friends to bring along a folder or two might get them in trouble,though at $100 they are not at all expensive.
Has anyone brought these with him from abroad (I do hope that u had informed the airport authorities & not brought it in discreetly though) ?
In India I gather nobody expects a normal law abiding citizen to carry a folder or a knife in his pocket.It is more or less associated with anti-social elements.

@kanwar76
Is there some place at Banglore where one can get good folders ?
If so,I can ask my bro,who's working there, to send it to me.
Cal 32 ACP IOF Pistol

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:56 pm

Kshatriya wrote:Asking relatives/friends to bring along a folder or two might get them in trouble,though at $100 they are not at all expensive.
Has anyone brought these with him from abroad (I do hope that u had informed the airport authorities & not brought it in discreetly though).
If asking relatives or friends to bring back a knife (subject to blade length and action) is liable to get them into trouble, I wouldn't have bothered asking my wife, followed by my brother to bring back one apiece a month or so back.

Knives have a habit of showing up on scanners. Bringing in a knife is as legal as bringing back a tennis racket, would you inform customs if you were carrying the latter?

If $100.00 isn't much for you why don't you try the postal route? You could be in for a pleasant surprise.

There are the usual Victorinox and some Muela folders available in Bangalore. I think Victorinox have shifted their main shop to the Forum.

Mack The Knife

Kshatriya
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Kshatriya » Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:27 pm

Thanks Mack The Knife.
I guess that I am paranoid about not getting on the wrong way of the law of the land.I have 2 options open now.
BTW how do the 2 brands of folders u mentioned compare to ones by spyderco & cold steel ?
Have u had any formal training in knife usage ?
Cal 32 ACP IOF Pistol

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:43 pm

Have u had any formal training in knife usage ?

Mack The Knife 'Chakubaz' :) Now all that is missing is a scar on the face along with a big mole :lol:

Take care,

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:47 pm

BTW how do the 2 brands of folders u mentioned compare to ones by spyderco & cold steel?
Actually, one of those two knives is a limited edition fixed blade. The other is a traditional French Lagiole folder. I have no experience of Spydercos or Cold Steel but I rate Spydercos very highly. Best ask Cauvery Cowboy about the Cold Steel. If you can afford it go for the Spydie. Also consider the Benchmade folders, particularly the one's with the Axis lock.
Have u had any formal training in knife usage?
None whatsoever. I carry and use them for general work around the house, on site and outdoors. Only during a very brief period did I carry one as a defensive tool.

Mack The Knife