Do swords, knives need a licence in India?

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
penpusher

Re: Do swords, knives need a licence in India?

Post by penpusher » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:25 pm

Dsingh,

A tegh or tegha is a sword.So when you write 'tegha sword' you are basically saying sword sword.

For Advertising mail webmaster
dsingh
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by dsingh » Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:54 pm

Dear penpusher ji u r right meaning is the same but quality varies between the common sword and sword called tegha. I was shown the difference by a dealer selling these swords teghas is more solid metal consisting of more than one metal joined togeather after melting the metal of both yhe metals. While common sword breaks while hitting a rocks or log but tegha can cutt the rock or does not break while hitting a solid wall it was demostarted by dealer. There is no doubt meaning r same but cutting powers differs a lot. thanks for the pointing out mistake

shadow
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by shadow » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:48 pm

Dear all,
I have passion of collecting knives & swords, not antiques yet,as I cannot afford them, but the regular ones with chinese carving etc. I own around 6 knoves & 1 straight blunt ornamental sword displayed in my showcase. Will these knves & swords merely used as show-pieces land me in problems? Also I went to LA last year & wanted to pick up swords that are generally shown in movies like LOrd of the Rings, Gladiator etc. & an axe! But the seller advised me against buying the same as I would have problems in customs. Same incident was repeated when I tried buying a dagger from Dubai last month. What are the legal / custom implications? THe sword in LA was aprox. 3.5-4 ft & the one in Dubai around 2 ft. Also apart from pepper spray or lathi will it be a good thing to carry a hockey stick or baseball bat, as nuisance & rowdyism is on a steep rise including eve-teasing in Chennai as well!Cheers...
"Tourists are terrorists with cameras. Terrorists are tourists with guns.”

shadow
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by shadow » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:53 pm

dsingh";p="21698 wrote: Dear penpusher ji u r right meaning is the same but quality varies between the common sword and sword called tegha. I was shown the difference by a dealer selling these swords teghas is more solid metal consisting of more than one metal joined togeather after melting the metal of both yhe metals. While common sword breaks while hitting a rocks or log but tegha can cutt the rock or does not break while hitting a solid wall it was demostarted by dealer. There is no doubt meaning r same but cutting powers differs a lot. thanks for the pointing out mistake
Do you know of any place in Chennai where I can get an authentic Tegha?If not in Delhi?What will be price of the same & will it be a problem to clear customs with the same being sent as check-in luggage?

dsingh
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by dsingh » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:10 pm

shadow";p="36096 wrote:
dsingh";p="21698 wrote: Dear penpusher ji u r right meaning is the same but quality varies between the common sword and sword called tegha. I was shown the difference by a dealer selling these swords teghas is more solid metal consisting of more than one metal joined togeather after melting the metal of both yhe metals. While common sword breaks while hitting a rocks or log but tegha can cutt the rock or does not break while hitting a solid wall it was demostarted by dealer. There is no doubt meaning r same but cutting powers differs a lot. thanks for the pointing out mistake
Do you know of any place in Chennai where I can get an authentic Tegha?If not in Delhi?What will be price of the same & will it be a problem to clear customs with the same being sent as check-in luggage?
I have no knowldge about the Chennai but in Patiala near histroic Gurdwara of DUKHNIVARAN SHAIAB u can good tegha at the prices varrrying from 350- 1200 bucks choice is urs there r two types of Teghas one is manual made and another is factory made .Even in MAHARASTRA Nader shiab and areas around it is known for good swordmaking but u have to be careful while taking out tegha from sheath always keep one hand at the middle of sheath away from blade as even a small scrath from even blunt tegha can be serious these r designed to cutt of the pointed and blunt weapons of attackers and penetrate through armour, Amritsar is another place in Chowk Ghantaghar u can have good variety.

x-acto
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by x-acto » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:00 pm

I think its okey with me to carry a survival knife without license but with swords maybe they should have a license.

Olly
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Olly » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:21 am

Swords, in the hands of non-sikhs, require a license to possess. Knives with blades longer than 9" OR wider than 2" require a license too.
That is the law. Enforcement is another issue.... :wink:

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:44 am

Swords, in the hands of non-sikhs, require a license to possess. Knives with blades longer than 9" OR wider than 2" require a license too.
Then what about big knives, choppers etc. with butchers, what does the law say about them?

winnie_the_pooh
Veteran
Veteran

Post by winnie_the_pooh » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:29 pm

Arms other than firearms do not require a licence unless there is a Notification under Section 4 of the Arms Act.If such a notification is issued then all arms listed in it would require a licence.So unless a notification is issued,all such arms,(swords,spears,knives etc) do not require a lincence

Re. sikhs and gurkhas,even when there is a notification issued under Section 4 requiring a licence for arms other than firearms a sikh can still keep one sword without having to get a license for it and a gurkha can similarly keep one khukri.

All arms meant for domestic or agricultural use, do not require a licence under any situation.

marksman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by marksman » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:27 pm

For general info,
One can easily import a sporting knife, folder or rigid, provided it has a blade length of 9" or less and does not boast of Sambhar horn or Ivory or any other stuff that is banned by OUR WILD LIFE LAWS. Custom duty of around 14% or so is levied on the item if the total amount exceeds Rs.12,000/ inclusive of postage. One can escape that at times if the dealer is willing to FedEx or UPS it at your expense. As for me, I do not mind this added expense once in a while if a certain knife takes my fancy for I look at it as a prized possession rather then a product that I would sell for a handsome profit some day.
Now as for the question of wearing a knife on one's person(Sikhs excluded), one can even wear a fair sized rigid bladed sheathed knife as well openly on the belt if trekking or rambling in the wilderness (not protected forests) or camping out of city limits. In Metros, It's okay to wear a sheathed folder not unlike a Swiss folder if one does not intend entering a mall or a theater or a hotel. The police in different states will have different approach on this subject if you are caught wearing a folder and if the restrictive orders are in force which are so, most of the time in Mumbai at least..
All the best. :wink: Actually, it's not worth it . Redneck culture don't work in this country.
Marksman

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:06 pm

I am in the process of getting a S&W folder thru www.20north.com, 4 inch blade, 10 inch total length. Cost me less than 2K (1800 or thereabouts, incl customs duty). Let's see what the Customs guys do to it! One good thing abt this website is that it will let you know whether anything is allowed in India, before you pay up. (I tried to buy some airsofts and got dumped).

As for Rampuris (switchblades), Japanese, Taiwanese, and recently Chinese stuff are openly available in all "smuggled goods" markets - Delhi (Palika Bazar, Khan Market, Chandni Chowk), Kolkata (Esplanade, Fancy Market), Mumbai (Crawford Market, Manish Market, etc.), etc.

What about Kukris, Kirpans, swords, etc. sold in tourist outlets (incl Govt emporia), many of these are more than 12 inches long! And can be made extremely sharp (I made a 9 inch Kukri bought from West Bengal tourism in Darjeeling, sharp enough to shave with). 12-15 inch machetes (Brazilian make) are also openly available on ebay.in. Can take down a small tree easily in 4-5 strokes (I have done it, and I am a 5'6" bengali)...
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

Rajat
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Rajat » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:28 pm

EssDee: The law / arms act says blades up to 9" etc. are permissible but much remains in the discretion and rests on the interpretation of these morons in the customs and the police.

You would not like to get caught by the police simply carrying a 7" or 6" knife for that matter. You are going to have a hard time trying to give an explanation and to prove it in the court (tareekh pe tareekh) if they charge you of some sort of offence like " Sandidhight (suspicious) awastha me ghoomete hue pakda" which seems to be their favorite.

As for all the touristy stuff available: if questioned it really comes under the "grey" area and can form an offence against the seller and the buyer. Otherwise these are well tolerated by everyone.

These swords etc lying at home are well tolerated and most of these are passed down from generations but I would advice against carrying these everyday.

About your S & W folder through courier. The chances are bright that it will reach you, although if it is opened for examination they may call for an explanation and you can give them a copy of this section of the arms act etc.

shadow
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by shadow » Mon May 23, 2011 10:50 am

Dear Comrades,

I read the Arms Act and the above posts but still am not clear & would appreciate, at the cost of repeating yourselves again, based on your expertise & experience, pls help me with the following.

I am getting my house done up & as a part of wall display, want to create a "locked & secured" showcase displaying my little collection of knives & swords.

As per the Act, is collection & display (not carrying on person) of blades more than 9" (please read: katanas, teghi etc.) permissible? Will I land in trouble? While am not affiliated to any such political parties or fundamental groups, for authorities to visit my place often, but considering lot of other occasions where inspection happens like renewal of passport, verification for arms licence (which am in the process of applying) etc. will it be considered illegal?

Apologies if I misfired, but do guide me to the light!

Thanks,
Rup

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Mon May 23, 2011 1:07 pm

Do an RTI in the office of SP or DM of your district to verify if any notification/s under Section 4 of Arms Act 1959 is in force in your area. If the answer is no then there is not much cause for worry else read and understand what that notification/s is saying and proceed accordingly.
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992

shadow
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by shadow » Mon May 23, 2011 4:37 pm

goodboy_mentor wrote:Do an RTI in the office of SP or DM of your district to verify if any notification/s under Section 4 of Arms Act 1959 is in force in your area. If the answer is no then there is not much cause for worry else read and understand what that notification/s is saying and proceed accordingly.
Wow! It sounds like lot of hard work & sole scratching :) . Am in Mumbai, so am assuming that I will have to go to SP office :deadhorse:

But since I am concerned not to get on the wrong side of the law, looks like will have to use up one of my leave which was saving for a holiday, to do the needful.

Thank you GBM for the inputs. Will keep you all posted on the developments (if any) :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Rup