Arms License Application rejected

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
inplainsight
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: Arms License Application rejected

Post by inplainsight » Wed May 01, 2013 8:18 pm

SS wrote:Got my license renewed yesterday. They renewed it for 2 years. Saying the original issue was for 1 year, now + 2 years and from next cycle it will get to the normal 3 year cycle.

Didn't consider it a battle worth fighting, bigger one coming up.

Applying for a Handgun license tomorrow for SD, quite convinced it will be rejected. Will appeal at the LG my self this time and not hire a lawyer.
Good luck bro, I think they are going to reject my TL. I got a call today from the Licensing Unit saying that I need to come give proof for my reasons to visit UP!!!

For Advertising mail webmaster
inplainsight
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by inplainsight » Wed May 01, 2013 8:28 pm

PS I had a very nice, 30 minute long, conversation with the lady who sits at Desk 8 of the Licensing Branch. She was inquiring about all the RTIs that I've sent, more than 10 in 4 months, and wanted to know the meaning of the latest one. I had asked two questions,

1. for a copy of the gazette where the MHA notification was printed : She said she did'nt have it so her official response is going to be the MHA notification itself.
2. Whether an arms license holder can have 2 or 3 pistols endorsed on their license: Her official response is going to be Yes :)

Skyman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Skyman » Wed May 01, 2013 9:04 pm

Sir, you should have used your charms and gotten the gazette!
I would rather hit my target gently than miss hard.

AgentDoubleS
Poster of the month - Apr 2015

Post by AgentDoubleS » Thu May 02, 2013 9:23 am

kandarp wrote: 1. for a copy of the gazette where the MHA notification was printed : She said she did'nt have it so her official response is going to be the MHA notification itself.
2. Whether an arms license holder can have 2 or 3 pistols endorsed on their license: Her official response is going to be Yes :)
I see u are building good relations with our favourite agency! I'd say both are good news- assuming she doesn't have it cos none exists!

So have you finalised, pistol or shotgun?

inplainsight
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by inplainsight » Thu May 02, 2013 9:50 am

:) Yes sir. I've already applied for the addition of a DBBL Shotgun. Once this is approved, I'll apply for an addition of a pistol.

Plan on picking up a cheap (sub 10K) SxS, and an IOF or a cheap .22 pistol.

AgentDoubleS

Post by AgentDoubleS » Thu May 02, 2013 12:14 pm

Excellent! Looking forward to some rounds of skeet soon then. :)
Dropped my application today.

shadow
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by shadow » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:29 pm

Dear Comrades,

So it happened! As in my application for a NPB Revolver / Pistol got rejected citing "No valid grounds for any threats"

But I have something to confess which was absolute carelessness from my end and am totally embarrassed.

I took help of a person who came through reference of an acquaint who said was aware on the way forward and we also met a lawyer who would help me file a petition.

Here comes the worst part. I did not keep a copy of the file :stupid:

I know I should be publicly :deadhorse: for being so stupid. :oops:

The person who had the file and claimed to help me kept dodging and finally has stopped answering my calls. The acquaint through whom I was introduced to this person too says he cannot do anything about it.

No, before you judge me and think I was doing anything illegal to get an licence, I was not trying short-cuts or doing something illegal here, but just wanted guidance and this person promised me that he knew the process entirely right from engaging a lawyer to filing a petition to getting a date for my hearing to the approach of answering during the interview.

Now this ignorant me is seeking help! Have been trying to figure out as to how can I get a copy of my documents submitted including the rejection letter from the licensing authority etc. I did go to the police station which carried out the inspection and sent a report, to check if they could be of some help. But apparently they too do not have a copy of my file :roll:

Yes, am guilty of choosing to be ignorant & lazy to delegate this sensitive process to a person whom I hardly knew and careless not to keep a copy of the file.

While am willing to take all the flake for the same and more, can someone here guide me as to from where can I get a copy of the documents? And to make things worst, I did not even note down my file number anywhere. :cry:

I know its really a stupid situation to even reply to, but the large hearts that you brothers have, pls forgive me and guide me to light! I have been on a guilt trip too long enough to not having reached out to my comrades here!!

Cheers,
An idiot
"Tourists are terrorists with cameras. Terrorists are tourists with guns.”

inplainsight
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by inplainsight » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:36 pm

File an RTI asking for a copy of the documents submitted and the notes made in your file.

Also, in a seperate RTI, ask for a copy of the rejection letter and the relevant appellant authority.

If you feel upto it, ask them the following questions in a seperate rti
1. Please provide a certified copy of any and all documents listing rules and regulations governing eligibility for arms license.
2. Please provide a certified copy of any and all documents listing rules and regulations governing rejection of an arms license application.
3. Please provide a certified copy of any and all documents listing rules and regulations used to assess the ‘Specific Threat’ level for an arms license applicant.
4. Please provide a certified copy of any and all documents listing rules and regulations used to assess the "grounds for any threat" faced by an applicant.
From now on keep a copy of EVERYTHING! Even the envelopes that you receive correspondence in.
Last edited by inplainsight on Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shadow
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by shadow » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:44 pm

Thank you very much @inplainsight for your prompt guidance and suggestion on the way forward.

Cheers!

inplainsight
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by inplainsight » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:58 pm

Also, be extremely specific. I had asked the following

RTI to get copies of all documents maintained by DP in my file

1. Please provide a certified copy of any and all documents, annotations, remarks and/or notes pertaining to ________ (S/o ______________, R/o __________) application for Fresh Arms License.
2. Please provide a certified copy of any and all documents, annotations, remarks and/or notes generated by your department to evaluate _________’s application for Fresh Arms License.
3. Please provide a certified copy of any and all documents, annotations, remarks and/or notes received by your department to evaluate _________’s application for Fresh Arms License.
4. Please provide a certified copy of any and all documents, annotations, remarks and/or notes made by the Additional Commissioner of Police (Licensing Unit) in ___________’s file.
5. Please provide a certified copy of any and all documents, annotations, remarks and/or notes that are part of the file(s) of _________ maintained by your department.

RTI to get my application
1. Please provide a certified copy of the Application Form submitted by the applicant with his Fresh Arms License Application # _____ dated ______.
2. Please provide a certified copy of the Affidavit submitted by the applicant with his Fresh Arms License Application # _____ dated ______.
3. Please provide a certified copy of the Letter submitted by the applicant with his Fresh Arms License Application # _____ dated ______.
4. Please provide a certified copy of any and all other documents submitted by the applicant with his Fresh Arms License Application # _____ dated ______.

AgentDoubleS

Post by AgentDoubleS » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:48 pm

Shadow,

Don't overly beat yourself up for this. In my first appeal I did not even keep a copy of the appeal and courts order with me - got wiser by the time if appealed for my second application. Getting copies should not be a big problem. As inplainsight suggested file an RTI. However, in my opinion all you need is a copy of the rejection letter stating the reason of the rejection. That alone should help you file an appeal. The other documents, like the police verification report are good to have too.

How much time do you have to file the appeal?

Cheers,
SS

Kittu
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Kittu » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:30 pm

Cheers,
SS[/quote]
hi ss
i think its 90 days.For more info you can read indian limitation act.

shadow
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by shadow » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:00 pm

SS wrote:Shadow,

Don't overly beat yourself up for this. In my first appeal I did not even keep a copy of the appeal and courts order with me - got wiser by the time if appealed for my second application. Getting copies should not be a big problem. As inplainsight suggested file an RTI. However, in my opinion all you need is a copy of the rejection letter stating the reason of the rejection. That alone should help you file an appeal. The other documents, like the police verification report are good to have too.

Cheers,
SS
Thanks SS!

I have well surpassed the timeline for the appeal. Its been over a year now! And why wasted so much time - well trying to get my damn file out from that gentleman and his assurance that he will get an extension or rather got an extension to file the appeal. Yesterday I dug out the number of the advocate we had met who was to help me file the appeal and when I asked him if had filed the appeal, he told me that its been over a year since he kept the petition ready but since I did not follow up with him, he thought I was not serious. Whereas the facilitator had told me that the appeal was filed and I will get a letter on hearing soon and I just kept waiting.

However coaxed the lawyer to help me out and see if we can reapply or request for a fresh appeal. He has called me on Saturday.

Keeping my fingers crossed!

Cheers!

AgentDoubleS

Post by AgentDoubleS » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:35 pm

ashokgodara wrote:How much time do you have to file the appeal?

Cheers,
SS
hi ss
i think its 90 days.For more info you can read indian limitation act.[/quote]

Hi ashok, I did read it when I was appealing my case and it was 30 days IIRC. I think it categorically stated that each day's delay thereafter has to be clearly explained.

Shadow,

I did read through a few judgements on the delay in filing appeals, not necessarily for arms act, and they were lenient on a few days/weeks delay but not as much on delays that was a few months. If the delay is a year you might have to reapply but needless to say your lawyer is the best person to advise you.

Keep us posted as it'll help ppl here too.

Cheers,SS.

AgentDoubleS

Post by AgentDoubleS » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:37 pm

ashokgodara wrote: hi ss
i think its 90 days.For more info you can read indian limitation act.
Hi ashok, I did read it when I was appealing my case and it was 30 days IIRC. I think it categorically stated that each day's delay thereafter has to be clearly explained.

Shadow,

I did read through a few judgements on the delay in filing appeals, not necessarily for arms act, and they were lenient on a few days/weeks delay but not as much on delays that was a few months. If the delay is a year you might have to reapply but needless to say your lawyer is the best person to advise you.

Keep us posted as it'll help ppl here too.

Cheers,SS.