Carrying ammo in Domestic Flight

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
arjunmark
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Carrying ammo in Domestic Flight

Post by arjunmark » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:23 am

Hi,
Last week i carried 20nos of 30-06 cartridges from mumbai to chennai in kingfisher airlines, and all i had to show was my license (mine is a TamilNadu Only license)...and i had got it down to chennai with no hassles. But yesterday when i took the jet airlines from Mumbai to Chennai, i carried 30 cartridges...they refused to let me carry, and i had to leave it behind with my friend in the airport. They wanted an All India License or NOC for the Mumbai Police.
I would appreciate if you guys can tell me what exactly are the formalities required for carrying just Ammo(not with weapon) by air.

Thanks,
-Arj

For Advertising mail webmaster
nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Carrying ammo in Domestic Flight

Post by nagarifle » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:30 am

first is NOC or all india licence,
second check airline regs regarding carrying or arms and ammo
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

dr.jayakumar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dr.jayakumar » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:15 am

best way is all india licence.getting noc is real pain.

nvnrjn
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by nvnrjn » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:21 pm

dr.jayakumar wrote:best way is all india licence.getting noc is real pain.
I would have thought otherwise doctor. Isn't a NOC easier to obtain in comparison to an all India license?

Katana
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Katana » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:35 pm

Arjun,

If you have a Tamil Nadu license you are bound to have purchased the ammo under a NOC from your issuing authority and obtained a Transit License(TL) from Bombay through your seller. Moreover, the TL must clearly mention transit through air. The airport guys should have asked you for the TL not the NOC, which would have gone to the Collector/ Commissioner, Bombay, with a copy to yourself and one to the dealer. This is the same procedure to purchase both firearms or ammo, should it be outside the territory as mentioned in your license. However, a NOC or TL is not required if your license has an AIV.
Justice alone is the mainstay of government and the source of prosperity to the governed, injustice is the most pernicious of things; it saps the foundations of the government and brings ruin upon the realm - Sher Shah Sur, Sultan-ul-Adil.

amit888_2000
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by amit888_2000 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:13 pm

50 catridges are allowed if u have all india license.

Now, when u dont have All india valid license or ammo quantity on ur license, u can apply to DGCA, and take the permit in 15 days.

I carried 4000 live catridges from guwahati to delhi on 27 NOV 2010, on all india valid license, also had DGCA permit to carry 5000 catridges.

Now if u need the form i can give u, ok.

)))cheers!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by amit888_2000 on Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Katana
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Katana » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:17 pm

Amit,

The DGCA angle is interesting, but I presume that is for dealers. It would be helpful if you can post the form on some kind of downloadable format.
Justice alone is the mainstay of government and the source of prosperity to the governed, injustice is the most pernicious of things; it saps the foundations of the government and brings ruin upon the realm - Sher Shah Sur, Sultan-ul-Adil.

amit888_2000
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by amit888_2000 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:18 pm

any person can apply, I apply if i am travelling domestic or international, if i have fire arm or air pistol, or only ammo.

Not only permission for ur goods, u also get extra weight, to carry those goods, free of cost.

form posted.

)))cheers!!!

dilip
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by dilip » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:16 pm

hi Amit Sir,
Can we carry 5000 ammo from airline domestic .
what are this form can i get one.
and the procedure

Thanx
Sidhesh
Powale Arms Repaires and Dealer Mumbai

Anand
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Anand » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:57 pm

Arjun,
"Last week i carried 20nos of 30-06 cartridges from mumbai to chennai in kingfisher airlines, and all i had to show was my license (mine is a TamilNadu Only license)...and i had got it down to chennai with no hassles."
I am neither a lawyer nor qualified in anyway to give legal opinion, with that said, it is my understanding that two things that should NOT have happened took place:
1. The fact that you were able to obtain ammunition outside your license area and were given
custody of it. However ridiculous the law is, it is clear that specific permission is required to be able
to obtain arms or ammunition outside your licenses area of validity.
2. Kingfisher Airlines allowed you to transport the said ammunition while you may not have been legally
in possession of it while in Mumbai. The Airlines can only transport arms and/or ammunition on
behalf of a licensee with written permission. There is a form that you would need to fill out
to "authorize" them to transport it on your behalf, this form has a space to fill out your license
details and its limits(meaning area of validity; expiry. etc) If your license was TN only, then they
should have declined as Jet Airways did.

In this type of situation ALL INDIA licenses are the easiest to deal with,or else at least the license should cover both the orgin and destination to keep everything in order. The Airline people will check for this specifically and have to sign off on the form.

Transportation by a passenger of any quantity of ammunition in excess of 50 cartridges will require DGCA permission even if his license allows him to have 5000 cartridges at one time.

amit888_2000,
you said "Now, when u dont have All india valid license or ammo quantity on ur license, u can apply to DGCA, and take the permit in 15 days. I carried 4000 live catridges from guwahati to delhi on 27 NOV 2010, on all india valid license, also had DGCA permit to carry 5000 catridges."

Can you please let me know what the max number of cartridges you can hold at one time. I ask because I am confused :? , are you saying that even though I may hold an All India License which allows say 50 cartridges at one time, the DGCA can allow me to carry more than what my license allows at one time?
Is it not that the DGCA will allow one to transport the maximum number of cartridges allowed on the license at one time?
Could you please elaborate?
Thanks alot,
Regards,
Anand

amit888_2000
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by amit888_2000 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:46 pm

we are talking abt 2 things here 1) arms license 2) DGCA.

only if u have all india valid arms license, or a perticular permit to carry perticular arm or ammo or both, will DGCA permit you to carry from one place to another by air.

50 catridges & 1 firearm, doesn't need any permit, only if u have all india validity or perticular state carry permit.

while submitting this form, one has to submit his license copy, or a permit by the concern authority, with a valid tkt, Only than ur permission will process.

there is no upper limit, but yes lower limit is more than 50 for catridges and more than 1 for firearm. If either of the 2 things exceeds, u need the permit.

the benefit of taking this permission, u get hasselfree transport with weight, free of cost, by air.

This is the same form if u travel domestic or international, or even send ur things to any manufacturer, from & to india.

hope no more confusion. )))cheers!!!

rahul_does
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana
Location: Yamunanagar, India, My bike, wherever I keep my bag.

Post by rahul_does » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:26 pm

*BEFORE* 27th June, 16, Write to DGCA for making weapon carriage fee a % of fare rather than the flat 5000 Rs. https://rahuldoes.wordpress.com/2016/06 ... t-5000-rs/ via @Rahul_Does

Anand
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Anand » Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:40 am

Rahul,
Thanks for the link and email address of Lalitji. Just sent off an email addressing the issue.
Regards,
Anand

marksman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by marksman » Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:27 pm

Does one have to pay ₹5000/ on top if one had all required documents/ All India License as is the case with the fire arm?

Marksman

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:54 pm

I believe there is an exemption available to shooters, if they are traveling to participate in a competition, but some before hand paperwork is involved. Maybe one of the active shooters can shed more light on this.

Air India allows members of rifle associations to carry one .177 air-rifle/ air-pistol in check in baggage at no extra charge. This I know for a fact as I've carried one myself on Air-india.

The charges may be airline specific, not sure if it is the dgca that has imposed the charges.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein