Does anyone have any experience exporting guns from India?

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
mehulkamdar

Does anyone have any experience exporting guns from India?

Post by mehulkamdar » Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:39 am

Friends,

I have heard that there are two guns in my family that are coming up for sale - a nice Mauser 7x57 and an old 22 lr which I learned to shoot with and sold to a friend on the promise that if he ever re-sold it, it would be to me. I would like to buy both and while I am familiar with the new US personal import procedures, I am not sure what new rules are in place in India at the moment. In the past you had to get an NOC from a dealer and could then arrange to take the rifle out of the country after getting prior permission from the police and customs. But I am not sure what new rules the babu-neta clique has come up with, hence this question.

If anyone is aware of the current regulations, please let me know. I am planning to talk to a dealer in Mumbai whom I know well or to a dealer in Delhi whom I have corresponded with to do this and they should be aware of the rules, but I would still like to know what the process may entail.

Both rifles will get a makeover over here when I have the money and the time. The process would be photographed and posted here as it happens, but I am not sure when exactly that would be. If this works, then I shall have prevented the sale of two guns that have been with us for some time and keep them within the family.

Thanks,

For Advertising mail webmaster
cyrixoutside
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by cyrixoutside » Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:35 pm

hi,

the rules for exporting weapons by dealer are very complex and time consuming. clearance from many different govt. dept. is needed.

i am not aware if seperate rules exist for individuals.

rajat

axp817
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by axp817 » Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:48 pm

One of my father's friends had exported a 30 Super H&H to Germany. It was bought from a dealer in Ahmedabad and the same dealer had helped with the paperwork, I think.

I was of the belief that letting the dealer use his influence/experience in dealing with the Government helps move things faster. Will try finding out details, but since you already have plans to use dealer help with your weapons, you shouldn't have too many problems, I think.

-Naren

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:08 pm

Naren,

When the names of dealers in Gujarat comes up I have heard of Tarachand Mehta who has apparently exported a large number of guns. Is he the dealer whom your father's friend dealt with? I would be happy to have his contact details if you have them.

As an aside, I just learned that Purdey and Holland and Holland have started advertising to buy old guns from India. Westley Richards have competition from vastly more ethical companies now. Good for them and I hope that a certain so and so from Westley Richards has to work harder or wind up in India. :lol:

axp817
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by axp817 » Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:07 am

Mehul,
No, it was Devprakash Gupta/Tarun Gupta (Father/Son) of Gujarat Bandook Bhandar in Ahmedabad, that the gun was bought from.

Will get their phone # for you.

Good luck,
Naren

cyrixoutside
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by cyrixoutside » Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:28 am

hi,

another thing i forgot to mention. it maybe quite difficult to export the .22 since it is "a weapon of current and popular bore, for which ammunition is being made in india"

rajat

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:08 pm

Mehul,

What applies to .22 would also apply to 7x57(but convert this to mm for the .22 and to inches for the 7x57 and you get an obsolete and unpopular calibre for which no ammo is available in India :lol: ).They cannot be exported as per the existing rules.

Take care,
penpusher

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:22 pm

penpusher,

I don't want to break any law - or even stretch it. If the rifles cannot be exported, I shall convince my cousin to hold them in his name - and get a license in my wife's name and have them held by a dealer for her when we visit India next. My thought was that if they could be brought here, we would be able to use them, an impossibility if they were to remain in India.

Thanks for the information and welcome back.

Mehul

cyrixoutside
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by cyrixoutside » Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:58 pm

hi,

the IOf is making .22 ammunition so it is very difficult to get an .22 passed. however 7 mm mauser ammunition is not made in india, and while it is currently available right now in huge amounts, that was not the case about 10 years ago when 7 mm mauser ammunition was very hard to find.

so basically the 7 mm does not require any bending of the llwas to be exported, however the .22 will require much bending of the rules

:)

rajat

p.s - now even 9.3 mm mauser ammunition is easily available. However just 2 years ago even find 10 fireable rounds was impossible.

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

FAO RAJAT

Post by eljefe » Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:44 pm

Hi Rajat,
Good to hear about 7mm and 9.3 availability.What about rifles for the same? are they available? any ball park figure for bolt?
Thanks
Asif
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

cyrixoutside
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by cyrixoutside » Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:35 pm

hi,

i have seen new S&B 7 mm mauser ammo just about everywhere. It sells for about Rs 130-140

in 9.3 mm mauser i have seen new ammo by norma it was selling for about Rs 150- 160.

7 mm or 9.3 mm mauser in good orignal condition are not that easy to get. Prices vary a lot but basically above 100 K

:)

rajat