RTI for Air pellets - to - Customs / DGFT

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
amit888_2000
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

RTI for Air pellets - to - Customs / DGFT

Post by amit888_2000 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:17 pm

I had submitted RTI for pallets to Customs / DGFT, they have replied as under.
Only customs had replied, DGFT had yet to reply.

Respected Sir,
I need the following information,

Q1. A) Import policy for caliber .177 pellets for air rifle / air pistol for common citizens.
b) Import policy for caliber .177 pellets for air rifle / air pistol for members of rifle
Associations / rifle clubs.
c) Import policy for caliber .177 pellets for air rifle / air pistol for renowned shots.

Answered By Customs:
1(a) to (c) - Import of caliber .177 pellets for air rifle/ air pistol is "Ristricted" as per foreign trade policy. Clearance of the same can be allowed against an Import License issued by DGFT.

Q2. A) Whether pellets in caliber .177 for air rifle / air pistol are allowed for import via courier /
Import parcel.
b) Whether pellets in caliber .177 for air rifle / air pistol are allowed for import via cabin
Baggage of returning Indian passenger.

Answered By Customs:
2(a) & (b) - Import of caliber .177 pellets for air rifle / air pistol is limited to the extent allowed under Import License issued by DGFT.

Q3. A) Permitted quantity of import of caliber .177 pellets for air rifle / air pistol via courier / parcel.
b) Permitted quantity of import of caliber .177 pellets for air rifle / air pistol via cabin baggage of returning Indian passenger.

Answered By Customs:
3(a) & (b) - The quantity of Import of caliber .177 pellets for air rifle / air pistol is limited to the extent allowed under Import License issued by DGFT.

Q4. A) Duty payable on import of permitted quantity of pellets in caliber .177 for air rifle / air pistol.
b) Duty payable on import of excess of permitted quantity of pellets in caliber .177 for air rifle / air pistol.

Answered By Customs:
4(a) & (b) - Applicable duty on "air pellets of air rifle or air pistol of .177 calibers" is "NIL" by virtue of Notification No. 21/2002-Customs SI. No. 582A. for the goods allowed in the DGFT license however import of air pellets of air rifle or air pistol of .177 calibers in excess of permitted quantity as per DGFT license is not allowed.

Q5. What documents are required for release of caliber .177 air rifle / air pistol from custom authorities.
A photocopy of the all above mentioned order may be made available to the applicant, if required.
A prayer is made to process this application expeditiously as the applicant requires the information urgently.
Information is sought in a printed format.

Answered By Customs:
5. Import of .177 bore air gun and air pistol is "Restricted" as per policy. The applicable policy condition is "however, import of air guns and air pistols will be free for shooters registered with Rifle Clubs or District/ State/ National Rifles Association. Free import of .177 bore air guns and air pistols will also be allowed to National Rifle Association of India (NRAI) for supplying the same to the eligible State Rifle Association / Clubs and to the eligible shooters. NRAI shall be required to keep appropriate account of the imported weapons".

Replied - By (Hari Shankar) (Deputy Commissioner & CPIO (I&G))

[*] Reply attached.

Answered By DGFT:
It Is informed that the item ‘Air Pellets’ is not in the restricted category in the existing (ITC(HS) Classification of Export & Import items. Therefore, in terms of Para 2.1 of FTP (2009-14),the import of ‘Air Pellets’ is Free.

Department of Revenue (CBEC) being the Department concerned have been requested to furnish requisite information on other points to you.

An appeal against this communication may be preferred with Ms. Shubhra, Jt.DGFT, O/o DGFT, Udyog Bhavan, New Delhi.

Replied by: (G.Parthasarathi) (Dy.Director General of Foreign Trade and CPIO) (Tel.23061234, Extn - 344)

Reply Attach

Last edited by amit888_2000 on Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:10 pm, edited 6 times in total.

For Advertising mail webmaster
Katana
Veteran
Veteran

Re: RTI for Air pellets - to - Customs / DGFT

Post by Katana » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:16 pm

The answer seems like 'saying everything and yet nothing'!
Justice alone is the mainstay of government and the source of prosperity to the governed, injustice is the most pernicious of things; it saps the foundations of the government and brings ruin upon the realm - Sher Shah Sur, Sultan-ul-Adil.

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:20 pm

Katana wrote:The answer seems like 'saying everything and yet nothing'!
:agree:
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

ssc
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by ssc » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:21 pm

aage kuwan peeche khai .......yeh india hai mere bhai :P

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:35 pm

Basically they have replied in babu speak. If you have the import permit then you can, how you get the import permit we won't tell you...refer section xxxx subclause !@#$$.
Which means no can do.
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

icemanV
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by icemanV » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:46 pm

Whatever the reply, it was still a great initiative and effort. Thank you for trying.

Waiting for the DGFT reply. Hopefully it should have something positive.

Ice

amit888_2000
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by amit888_2000 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:13 pm

Good news for all....

Pls read reply of DGFT.....(Air Pellets IMPORT Is Free)

Sooner attaching both copies....

JOINT effort of M24 (Deepak)& ollay (anupam)..& myself...

)))cheers!!!

kb100
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by kb100 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:15 pm

:cheers: YAYYY :cheers:

Congratulations to all of you! .. and a BIGGGG THANK YOU!
A Closed Mouth Gathers No Feet!

t20
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by t20 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:43 pm

amit888_2000 wrote:Good news for all....

)))cheers!!!
Salute you noble guys!

fantumfan2003
Veteran
Veteran

Post by fantumfan2003 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:55 pm

Congrats to you all, this calls for a celebration.

M.
amit888_2000 wrote:Good news for all....

)))cheers!!!
As an example of overcoming adversity, Karoly Takacs has few peers. He was part of Hungary’s world champion pistol-shooting team in 1938, when an army grenade exploded, crippling his right hand. Ten years later, having taught himself to shoot with his left, he won two gold medals in the rapid-fire class.

Darr ke aage jeet hai

Biren
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Biren » Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:29 pm

Hi,
I would like to thanks my friends for their efforts filing RTI, but as i was going through the same have few questions:

- The HS Code 93061000 place air gun pellets in restricted category. How come DGFT has stated import to be free. Though i remember in 2008 there was a notification were duty was nil, but that does not make AIR GUN PELLETS freely importable.

"Answered By DGFT:
It Is informed that the item ‘Air Pellets’ is not in the restricted category in the existing (ITC(HS) Classification of Export & Import items. Therefore, in terms of Para 2.1 of FTP (2009-14),the import of ‘Air Pellets’ is Free.

Department of Revenue (CBEC) being the Department concerned have been requested to furnish requisite information on other points to you.

An appeal against this communication may be preferred with Ms. Shubhra, Jt.DGFT, O/o DGFT, Udyog Bhavan, New Delhi.

Replied by: (G.Parthasarathi) (Dy.Director General of Foreign Trade and CPIO) (Tel.23061234, Extn - 344)"

Again DGFT has no where in its reply mentioned Air Gun Pellets, it merely writes AIR PELLETS, again there is no mention under what clasification ITC(HS).

It would have been of great help if DGFT had categorically stated AIR GUN PELLETS under HS Code 93061000 are freely importable.

Cheers,
Biren

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:30 pm

Biren let us celebrate the air pellet import, what's there to lose?

8)
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

cybershot
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by cybershot » Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:00 am

what about import of the gun ? I m like a bhikhari (helpless) who only hav plastic bb airguns. somebody pls help how can i import .177 cal.[co2] Pistol ? I m ready to do everything to hav the S&W M&P co2 .177 pistol

kb100
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by kb100 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:04 am

Cybershot. Please dont hijack someone else's thread .. Pls go thru the Air Gun and the Legal sections. You will find all the answers you seek there!
A Closed Mouth Gathers No Feet!

thomast1
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by thomast1 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:18 am

congrats !! nice one and thanks too.. Good Effort and Good Results, thanks to all who took the initiative..

by the way will the Babu say "Air pellet is not Airgun Pellet!" :D i am ordering a few anyways..
Thomas