• Advertisement
Kiehberg.in -  Outdoor gear and sports equipment

Importing firearm under TR rules

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
sks76239

Importing firearm under TR rules

Postby sks76239 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:01 am

Hi,

I am an Indian citizen currently living overseas but will be returning to India next year. I joined this forum recently as I has a question related to import of a firearm under transfer of residence rules. I found the previous threads very helpful but I am still not sure about some things, so, I am asking here

I will be residing in India for few months but will be going back. So, can I still use Transfer of residence rules to import a firearm?

I was thinking of bringing CSA scorpion chambered in .32 ACP (picture attached) so that ammunition can be sourced locally as importing ammo regularly would be expensive. Can I get license for this firearm in India? I am not sure if it will considered as a Pistol or sub-machine gun.

and How much ammo can I bring with me?

Thank You
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Shivaji.Dasgupta

Re: Importing firearm under TR rules

Postby Shivaji.Dasgupta » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:04 am

The Specification of CSA Scorpion is not indicating it as a handgun rather in between a SMG and a Hand Gun. Though it Chambered .32 but I don't think it will have any chance to get a License in India.

sks76239

Postby sks76239 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:04 am

thats not what I wanted to hear. :( I guess I will have to look into something else. If u have any other semi-auto suggestions suitable for Indian streets, let me know.

Anand

Postby Anand » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:56 pm

IMHO, the scorpion qualifies as a pistol if you remove the metal wire stock, so long it is legal to do so in the country you are bringing it from.
Just make sure that it is the semi-auto version :D.
In the Indian Arms Act or Arms Rules there is nothing regarding metal or wood stocks attached to pistols. In fact Broomhandle Mausers (C 96) and other stocked pistols such as the Star Model 1's are seen in India.
Regards,
Anand

goodboy_mentor

Postby goodboy_mentor » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:04 pm

Agree with Anand, the scorpion that is not full auto but semi auto is perfectly legal as a pistol. As it is, the appearance of the scorpion is itself menacing, the metal wire stock would needlessly add to the confusion of the customs as well as bureaucrats. Just keep the metal wire stock away, detached and separate. Once everything is done, then you may attach it if desired.

All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth. - Friedrich Nietzsche

sks76239

Postby sks76239 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:58 am

I will keep in mind to import it without metal wire stock attached. I guess, I'll have to take my chances with importing something of this sort. Lets see how it goes.

Is there any legal definition of Pistol or Handgun in the firearms act?
If there is not, then I guess even something like Ar-15 pistols available in .223 can be shown as semi auto handgun/pistol and NPB license obtained for the same.

Anyways, I will post my experience about importing next year. thank you all for your feedback.

goodboy_mentor

Postby goodboy_mentor » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:08 pm

sks76239 wrote:Is there any legal definition of Pistol or Handgun in the firearms act?
Arms Rules 1962 did not have any definition of handgun or pistol. However Rules 2(24) & (38) of Arms Rules 2016(have not been approved by Parliament till now) have defined what is handgun and pistol. They say the following -
“handgun” means a small arm with a short stock at an angle to and extending below the line of the barrel, that is designed to be held and fired with one hand and includes pistols and revolvers;

“pistol” means a handgun with a chamber as an integral part of, or permanently aligned with, the barrel;

sks76239 wrote:If there is not, then I guess even something like Ar-15 pistols available in .223 can be shown as semi auto handgun/pistol and NPB license obtained for the same.
Unless you are prepared to gamble and fight all the way up to Supreme Court, it is better to avoid bringing any gun in .223 because this has been listed as restricted caliber in Arms Rules 2016. Even if you somehow manage to get license for .223, getting ammunition in .223 may be a problem.

All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth. - Friedrich Nietzsche

sks76239

Postby sks76239 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:59 pm

ya, I will stick to scorpion only for now. I mentioned AR-15 pistols just to introduce the above mentioned idea.

russianshooter

Postby russianshooter » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:02 am

ar-15 pistol its prohibited bore i think

Return to “The Legal Eagle”