My first Shooting Trip

Past and future planned - events/ outings/ training sessions/ offline meets/ camps/ matches etc.
Gadget-Man
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

My first Shooting Trip

Post by Gadget-Man » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:00 pm

This Sunday was a very exciting day for me. I got to know that Dad, Dev uncle and Abhijit uncle were planning an outing for shooting practicing, I requested my dad to take me along too, with a promise of good study later on.

It was a rough ride through a rural village area. After reaching the farmhouse, we immediately started unpacking our equipment consisting of Dev uncle’s QB and some bottles - both filled and empty. Dev Uncle taught me how to use the QB-78. It was comparatively lighter than my father’s HW-77K as it is a C02 powered rifle. I got to know how to load the QB easily with the help of the cocking lever. While Dad and the two uncles “emptied” the filled bottles, I fired some very accurate shots, breaking the empty bottles.

We were there for about two hours and also enjoyed the view of a sea of flowers, which were being cultivated there. It was also interesting to see planes, that went very low overhead, on their landing path, which caused huge gusts of wind and shook all the trees vigorously.

I am grateful to Abhijit uncle and Dev uncle for teaching me so much and making this an unforgettable outing. It will remain in my memory for a long time… Here are some pictures :

For Advertising mail webmaster
Shamsher
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Shamsher » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:34 pm

Son
I see a half empty beer bottle - I hope you did not break that one !

Best wishes & keep shooting
Shamsher

diskaon
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by diskaon » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:52 pm

Gagetman..

The promise of good studies in return of something is an old trick still used!!!! I hope your good studies was not the "study of target shooting"..

I am sure you enjoyed the shoot. Next time take a print out of some targets and then put up your groups. I am sure you will score better than many on this forum..

Regards,

Diskaon
klick klack..... diskaon

garyhan
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by garyhan » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:21 am

I fired my first shots almost 50 years ago with a co2 rifle very much like the one you used. The passion has never waned since then. Keep on shooting and studying.

gary

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:51 am

GM,

You will be a credit to the sport but don't shoot at glass bottles unless your dad and uncles, particularly the porcine one, promise to pick up and dispose all the glass pieces.

P.S.: What is studies? Never heard of it. :mrgreen:

shahid

Post by shahid » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:25 am

We wil all getogether soon at my farmhouse also very soon, where we will have a barbecue and some air rifle shooting at 10 m and 25 m.

Just let me get back from Patna early next week and then we will set up a day so that maximum number of Delhi IFG people can meet.

The Doc
Veteran
Veteran

Post by The Doc » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:58 pm

Great stuff GM !!

Shamsher";p="65042 wrote: I see a half empty beer bottle
Shamsher, it reminds me of the famous tale in Mahabharat where Arjun could only see the eye of the dummy sparrow while aiming at it looking down at its reflection in water. :lol: :lol:

By the way I could only see the air rifle and flowers !!!! :mrgreen:

cheers,

RP.
It's always better to have a gun and not need it than need a gun and not have it !

Khan_Imran
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Khan_Imran » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:40 pm

Great Pics and great going young man. It’s a pleasure to see a young and bright boy holding a gun and striking the target. Reminds me of those days when my uncle used to toss the empty bottles in the air and I used to have a go at em with his AK 47. ( Never succeeded in breaking any though ) Trust me, Guns are a passion. Stay addicted but never misuse. Have loads of fun !

Shamsher
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Shamsher » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:35 pm

Dear Doc.
In todays world, you ought to look around and beyond before you focus on the target.

never know when a hunter could be hunted.

gone are the glory days when you were carefree and could do whatever pleased you.

Kalyug ... aahh.. kalyug !

SS

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:05 pm

Mack The Knife Bana";p="65081 wrote: GM,

You will be a credit to the sport but don't shoot at glass bottles unless your dad and uncles, particularly the porcine one, promise to pick up and dispose all the glass pieces.

P.S.: What is studies? Never heard of it. :mrgreen:
Oye stop teaching bad words to the kid porcenine indeed. Pot calling kettle black I say :-).
The bottles were placed inside a cardboard carton and then shot. So no glass was scattered all over the place and disposed of in a ecofriendly way. Thereby earning us more carbon credits than you bengaluru boys. :?
Anyway gadget kid, you are most welcome and I think are an above average shot. I think the little toy we are planning for your 'better studies' shall soon be in your hands.

Dev
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

penpusher

Re: My first Shooting Trip

Post by penpusher » Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:09 pm

Gadget Man,

Nice way to spend a day.

A pat on the shoulder to both the 'uncles' :lol:

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:43 pm

GMan

Thats great bunch of uncles and do this more often and participate in local or regional shooting events.
Have fun

Cheers

Gadget-Man
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Gadget-Man » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:18 pm

Thank you everyone for giving me advice on gun handling and shooting safe. I will post more pictures over the next few days particularly of the HW-77K resting on Mack The Knife uncle’s monopod. :D

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:57 pm

Gman
Did you use the red or the green cross hairs on dev uncles QB? did you see/use the front sight? Dev-tongue fully in cheek! ;)
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: My first Shooting Trip

Post by timmy » Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:17 am

Gadget-Man, thank you very much for your story and pictures! I was very interested and look forward to your next installment, especially if there are some pictures with it!

What is apparent to me is that you DO pay attention to the duties of responsible gun use -- I can see that in your pictures and tell from the way you write. I can also see from your style of writing that your attention to studying is also quite proper. I can have no doubt that you will fulfill your bargain and that both your studies and your shooting will benefit!

And, we should all salute Dad and your uncles for being willing to instruct you! They are passing on something to you that can give you a lot of satisfaction in your life -- a valuable gift! Be sure to learn from them all you can, and then you will be prepared to be the same hero to your son and/or daughter later on!

Reading your post has made my day, sir!

(I wish that I could join you folks on one of your outings!)