Will the good doctor finally land a fish...

Past and future planned - events/ outings/ training sessions/ offline meets/ camps/ matches etc.
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Will the good doctor finally land a fish...

Post by Mack The Knife » Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:25 pm

...or will he persist in catching gunny sacks and socks off the bottom?

That, gentlemen, is the Re. 1/- question. The book has been opened. :mrgreen:

Early tomorrow morning Asif, his friend - Dr. Sripad, my sons and I set off for the WASI waters in search of a murral or ten or Allah be praised, even a rohu or mahseer! Since my phone has coverage in this part of the sticks (don't tell the wife!), I could sms the jolly tidings to anyone willing to post it here.

Pictures and all the gory details to follow on Sunday or Monday.

Toodles!

Mack The Knife

For Advertising mail webmaster
Kshatriya
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Kshatriya » Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:28 am

Looking forward to to the details soon.:-)
U.S Army Rifle Cal .30 M1917 Remington Bolt Action
Cal 32 ACP IOF Pistol

mehulkamdar

Re: Will the good doctor finally land a fish...

Post by mehulkamdar » Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:43 am

Mack The Knife, Asif and all friends going out today - All the Very Best!

May you enjoy a good catch and have a nice fried fish meal with good beer. 8) Don't forget to take and post pics.

Good fishing!

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:47 pm

So how did it go Mack The Knife ? You and Asif are being very quiet regarding the fishing trip............................

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:29 pm

Let me start at the begining.

Asif landed up at my place on Friday evening and we had a long chin wag, when it was decided that I would be at his place at 5 a.m..

12:20 a.m. found me replying to one of Grumpy's e-mails and after that I just had to read a few pages of the book on knives that Asif brought me. Many thanks for that, Asif.

I don't know about you chaps but I can never sleep early just before a trip and that does screw things up later in the day but for me an outdoor trip is still just too exciting for sleep to come.

4:50 a.m. the kids are bundled into the jalopy and 4:55 a.m. finds the J ticking over nice and warm (none of that fuel injection stuff here) and off we go.

5 a.m. finds me in front of Asif's gates but there does not seem to be any movement inside. After a while Asif's dad comes to the gates and tells me that Asif hadn't come home. :shock:

Out comes the phone and after a few rings the maestro answers. He is at home (must have been some pretty impressive tiptoeing there), he had set the alarm on his cell but the silly bug*3r forgot to take it off 'silent mode'..... :roll: Since I was in no mood for the please take your time line, my tone must have suggested that he and his friend, Dr. Sripad, better make it snappy and snappy it was. :mrgreen:

5:20 a.m. finally finds us on the way and just when I was all set to play Fangio I find that he isn't keeping up. The engine of his bloody van was knocking. :evil: Great! A 70 odd kilometer stretch that we normally do at 100 kmph is now done at a mind numbing 60 -70 kmph. I am pretty sure a few tractors overtook us.

We break at my usual haunt for breakfast and am happy to see that everyone had worked up an appetite and tucked in. When I mentioned that lunch would not be served before 2 p.m., they tucked in some more. Gluttons...

Incidentally, just before we stopped for breakfast, a black car came up behind me and started honking, then it came alongside, the front passenger window went down and a feminine hand frantically waves me to stop. By now I am wondering what the hell is happening. Have my boys been making faces at the cars behind? Or did the sight of my pro-gun stickered jalopy offend some mindless city slicker. WHAT???

Anyway, I pull over and it turns out to be my friend Dhanu who was going with his wife and daughter for a days fishing to Balmuri. Dhanu then pulls out his brand new rod and we are busy wiggling it about on the shoulder of the highway whilst cars whizz by. At which point Asif commented that in the old days it was quite possible for a rifle or shotty to be admired in such a setting. Do it now and some chap will be on his cell to the coppers.

We finally reached the cottage at 8:30 a.m. and after a cup of badly needed chaa and checking out each others fishing tackle, we hit the bank. We started off with a bit ledgering for rohu but that session proved to be unproductive.

After a while, I suggested we do some spinning for murral along the lake's periphery from the coracle.

I wasn't surprised to find that Asif could not cast for toffee but was really taken aback at the speed at which he learnt. Shabaash! We must have been on the water for close to an hour when there was an almighty shout from Prathap (a friend of mine who had gone ahead a day earlier) from the far bank. He was into something that was stripping line at the rate of knots and all he had was a piddly little reel and no boat in which to follow the fish. Our ghillie started paddling back as fast as he could but I doubt we would have made it. Fortunately, we had confiscated a coracle from poachers a few weeks back and one of the guards on duty, rolled it across land and plonked it in the water. Prathap and the guard were now able to follow the fish to some extent.....they did not have a paddle. No wise cracks about being up the creek please!

We altered course for Prathaps coracle, caught up with it and brought both coracles quickly to a bank. Here we handed over our oar to Prathap's guard whilst we stayed put in the current by grabbing a plant stem on the bank and watched the fun. And what a jolly time it was.

Prathap played the fish well and when it was sufficiently tired they paddled towards us, gave us the oar and we towed them in. Prathap played the fish for a couple of minutes from the bank.....

and then held his trophy with a grin a mile wide.

Some quick pics and then the fish was revived and released.

This rohu weighed in at 18.5 lbs.

After this everyone was keen to land another Rohu but I guess the pangs of hunger must have been stronger as we returned to the cottage for lunch.

After lunch it was decided that I would take Sripad and Asif to Forbes Sagar (a far bigger lake) to catch some murral. For a chap who hasn't casted out much, Asif gave a virtuoso account - back hand cast, side casts, you name it. Sripad was no slouch either. So I was pretty confident that they would both catch a few. After all, in all visits to this area, no one has ever come away empty handed.

30 minutes or so into the session and the fish really started biting and Sripad was the first to get one. The murral was brought in and as Sripad was reaching for his camera, the line broke. I don't know how but I really felt bad for him.

A few minutes later Asif got a good whack but in his excitement he forgot not to strike for a second or two and lost it.

After that both Asif and Sripad got some good bites but the murral kept spitting the lures out.

By now the Sun was begining to set and I was getting a bit panicky. Not only were Sripad and Asif yet to open their account but there was no fish for dinner!

Sripad claimed that his wrists were aching after all that casting (I think he noticed my desperation ;) ) and gave me the rod. I soon started getting hits but it was the same old story of the lure getting spat out. Normally we don't use a spinner at this time of year because of the weeds, so asked the ghillie if I could use one. Since the chances of snagging are very high, ghillies don't like them as they keep having to row to and fro. As expected he pointed at the failing light and said it wouldn't work. 10 or 15 minutes later and with the light fading fast we were still without a fish and I decided to use a spinner. Out came the trusty Mepps Agila No. 4 and in came a 2 to 2.5 kg murral. In just over one year of fishing this was the first time that I actually had to fish for food and not just sport and I can tell you, it concentrates your mind to your surroundings a lot more. Well, at least in my case.

Following this there was some frenetic spinning whilst we paddled back to the car but a fish still eluded both my friends and in a way this was a slap in the face for me because this place has always produced fish. What makes it worse is that neither of them were doing much wrong. I guess there is a first time for everything, it's just that I wish it hadn't happened to a bloke who has come all the way from Delhi to catch his first fish.

On reaching the cottage after some tea and a bath, we were ready for dinner and Prathap cooked up some rice, daal and fried murral. We then did some night fishing but did not get any bites.

Asif was up early, so we made another round of the cottage lake in the coracle but still no joy. I would have liked to do Forbes Sagar again but Sripad wanted to be back in Bangalore early, so we packed our stuff, had a hearty brunch and hit the road once again.

I hope it's a different story when Asif returns in December.

Mack The Knife

P.S.: Soon after we left, Prathap caught an even bigger rohu and this one actually stripped off all his line. Fortunately, the knot on the spool held and soon thereafter a guard came on the scene to paddle the coracle and they were able to retrieve it. He also caught a 3.5 kg cat fish which he suspects to be an African catfish.
Last edited by Mack The Knife on Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:47 am, edited 5 times in total.

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: the suspense is killing Rutam did he or didn't he?

Post by dev » Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:55 pm

Thanks for penning down this tale. The good doctor is normally very punctual...it must be the off day. I haven't been out with my rod and all cause the weather is still beastly.

Thanks for the wonderful shots and I'm mighty pleased to be on the right side of ye...ye look almost a hand taller. I can understand why a certain shooter quakes when you speak 'in that voice '(old jungle saying:Phantom's voice louder than thunder and can freeze most men's blood).

Don't you all ever eat what you catch. I go crazy looking at your catch and release stuff.

Please hurry with part two.

Regards,

Dev.
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:15 am

Great pics again, Mack The Knife.Eagerly waiting for the next installment. Do I take that the one with the hat is Dr. El Jefe and the one in baseball cap Dr. Sripad or is it you? Dev is got me confused .

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:22 am

Spot on, Vikram.

There isn't much in the next installment but try as I might I could not keep my eyes open. Will finish it after I pack the kids off to school.

Mack The Knife

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:13 am

Mack The Knife,

Lovely pics and report as always. 8) Just perplexed - don't you guys eat your catch? :? After all that hard work, it would be nice to have some fried fish with chilled beer...

One of my friends in Appleton has two boats and is a big fishing enthusiast. I have been on his Sweet Pea I and II on more than one occasion but though I have never had luck getting anything, I have always looked forward to relaxing on the boat and having a nice beer with fish after the hard work is done.

Cheers!

Mehul

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:55 am

Dev and Mehul,

Whilst most of the fishing is done for sport and catch and release is the norm, we do keep behind what is required for the table. Sometimes we may even take one home but that's about it.

If everyone took away whatever he caught then very soon there would be very little left. The reason this place produces decent fishing even when the water conditions aren't exactly right for fishing is most probably due to our catch and release policy.

Whatever the antis may say, hunters and anglers make the best conservationists.

Mack The Knife

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:26 am

HI Guys,
am finally able to type! fingers were in a cramp the past two days...
No sweat, Mack The Knife, its never the kill, but the thrill of the chase.As the governator said-I'll be back.Damn, about 6 casts a min , non stop for nearly an hour made me feel like a casting machine.No tongue in cheek about 'casting couch ' guys...The fact that I was able to do all the back hand / forehand stuff is just unreal-Dev and I had a bout a 6 casts a couple of months ago and more birdsnests than the line singing out.Now, crouched in the coracle, minding the other rod, keeping bail open and looking for fish breaking the surface and the bloody crocs and the low light and the current-whew, havent had so much fun in 5 years.
All the best
Axx
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:29 am

Heck Mack The Knife again hides behind the camera. Just like Zorro.
Thousand apologies for the confusion. :-).

Regards,

Dev
Vikram";p="4122 wrote: Great pics again, Mack The Knife.Eagerly waiting for the next installment. Do I take that the one with the hat is Dr. El Jefe and the one in baseball cap Dr. Sripad or is it you? Dev is got me confused .

Best-
Vikram

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:34 am

Hey Asif,

This backhand casting technique is a new one. And since you got compliments from Mack The Knife on it its time you penned down 'the art of casting without casting'. ;-).

Hopefully we'll do a Hindon practise session on gunny bags and socks before you head for the finals at bangalore.

Regards,

Dev
eljefe";p="4139 wrote: HI Guys,
am finally able to type! fingers were in a cramp the past two days...
No sweat, Mack The Knife, its never the kill, but the thrill of the chase.As the governator said-I'll be back.Damn, about 6 casts a min , non stop for nearly an hour made me feel like a casting machine.No tongue in cheek about 'casting couch ' guys...The fact that I was able to do all the back hand / forehand stuff is just unreal-Dev and I had a bout a 6 casts a couple of months ago and more birdsnests than the line singing out.Now, crouched in the coracle, minding the other rod, keeping bail open and looking for fish breaking the surface and the bloody crocs and the low light and the current-whew, havent had so much fun in 5 years.
All the best
Axx

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:42 am

Where do you think I learnt it from Dev? Mack The Knife, in his frantic casts for dinner!!
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:44 pm

eljefe";p="4145 wrote: Where do you think I learnt it from Dev? Mack The Knife, in his frantic casts for dinner!!
A hungry Mack The Knife be a scary teacher eh? ;-)
Learn fast or face a hungry grizzly near them salmon spawning grounds.

Regards,

Dev