Holland & Holland experience for Christmas ?

Past and future planned - events/ outings/ training sessions/ offline meets/ camps/ matches etc.
dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:06 pm

I am so shocked by the response to the well meaning mail put forward by the poster. All that we have to do is sell one firearm each and we can have the experience of a lifetime. Shame on all of you ;-). You are all missing out on the opportunity to hob nob with the creme de la creme of English society...imagine Mack The Knife could have landed the contract to remodel the Buckingham Palace, penpusher could become the Crown's legal expert. Abhijeet could run another board called Brits for handguns and Grumpy could...well...er...stay Grumpy ;-).

Oops now I'm gonna get creamed.

Regards,

Dev
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

For Advertising mail webmaster
shahid

Re: Holland & Holland experience for Christmas ?

Post by shahid » Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:36 pm

penpusher";p="32857 wrote:Shahid,

While you are there why don't you discuss the Army and Navy made by Purdey?Look forward to reading about your trip.
It is not made by Purdey Smarty pants ( AT Dowe had given wrong information ), probably by Bisley, the design is very close, or perhaps even in Birmingham by the firm of W & C Scott which is a group company of H & H now,

All said and done it is a very good English sidelock S/S with nice engraveing and it fits me very well. I like shooting with it.

We had bought it on its own merits - As an Army and Navy store sold gun. Not by who made it, but by the looks it is obvious a top English gunmaker made it / assembled it.

shahid

Post by shahid » Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:43 pm

dev";p="32897 wrote:I am so shocked by the response to the well meaning mail put forward by the poster. All that we have to do is sell one firearm each and we can have the experience of a lifetime. Shame on all of you ;-). You are all missing out on the opportunity to hob nob with the creme de la creme of English society...imagine Mack The Knife could have landed the contract to remodel the Buckingham Palace, penpusher could become the Crown's legal expert. Abhijeet could run another board called Brits for handguns and Grumpy could...well...er...stay Grumpy ;-).

Oops now I'm gonna get creamed.

Regards,

Dev
THis forum is about shooting sports. And information was shared about a shooting club. Expensive / cheap / moderate is a subjective opinion. There are all kinds of shooting clubs in the wilds of arizona, near London city, in far flung abredeen or a non functional one in Patna, it is info only, on a web club, noone is asking any member to go there. Merely infor provided for knowledge purpose as to what is the other end of the spectrum.

Comapnies design promotions - Pyramid air is selling Pink Air Rifles targeted at young female shooters this christmas. SOme might welcome it, to others it may sound ridiculous, subjective opinion really.

art_collector
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by art_collector » Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:41 pm

Hi,

Ill post pictures of the guns cases by James Purdey. The cases in leather are for the three guns all numbered 1,2 & 3 They are in 12,16 & 20 bores . But whats more interesting is they carry a leather sticker inside which reads Army & Navy Cooperative Society Limited, 105 Victoria Street, Westminister. Dont have a clue if the guns came from there or just the box. The three stocks come in the lower level of the gun case and the three barrels on the top in a seperate take out shelf

shahid

Post by shahid » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:43 pm

QUite possible Army & Navy Stores, which is still very much there on Victoria Street sold James Purdey Guns, or someone ordered these guns here, they purchased it from James Purdey and delivered them inside their gun cases.

For all those servicemen or soldiers catching the steamer out of London bouund for colonial destinations of the British Raj, Army & Navy stores was the usual last stop for provisions, but mind you, it was, and even today it is a very well equipped, well stocked departmental store.

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:55 pm

If not the Purdey that now is irrefutably made by some maker in Brimingham then maybe the 303 Sporting round.

shahid

Post by shahid » Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:03 pm

penpusher";p="33234 wrote:If not the Purdey that now is irrefutably made by some maker in Brimingham then maybe the 303 Sporting round.
Yes what of the .303 sporting round.

There are two of them. One is the service round with a different bullet for sports, 150 grain usually.

The other is the .303 Jeffery.

There are two so what are you aiming at now ?

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:14 pm

303 Jeffery :? :? :? :? :? Grumpy, where art thou.

Perhaps we can use the '303 Jeffery' to give the other fellow a 'sporting chance' :lol: Or do the service 303's refuse to load the '303 British sporting' now called the '303 Jeffery' round.Perhaps the difference being that while the British 303 'service' round merely kills,the 303 'sporting/jeffery' throws them up and they land with their feet in the air :lol: :lol:

A different bullet weight does not a different cartridge make.Or was so until the natural law was overturned.The dark side rules :wink:

shahid

Post by shahid » Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:20 pm

Very ignornat here once again.

Same chambering OK. But bullet types, jacketing, bullet cast etc. will be different for service rounds and sporting rounds with all the modern technology available.

.303 jeffery is a different .303 round. DO you know everything ? No you don't.

DO I know everything - No. I am improving my knowledge everyday, and am willing to learn more. What is the issue here ?

Go to online Kynoch catalouge, .303 Jeffery might be listed there if not I will shoot a pic of it from the Kynoch leaflet and post it but again, such pics need to be shot in daytime without a flash or under sufficient light with no flash for posting, so it cannot be immediate, but I will post it.

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:09 pm

What is at issue here is preventing the dissemination of bullsh1t.
There is NOT and never was a `.303 Jeffery`- nor, if it comes to that, a `.303 Sporting`.
Jeffery might well have made .303 ammunition - and almost certainly for sporting purposes if they did ...... but so what ? Plenty of other manufacturers made - and make - .303 ammunition.....and all of it ( since the late 1950s ) for sporting ( hunting or target ) purposes.
As I`ve said before, neither the imaginary `.303 Jeffery` or `.303 Sporting` are listed in the Kynoch catalogue.......for obvious reasons.

Can we now finish with this subject because I`m sick of having to repeat myself. Banging my head against a brick wall of stubborn stupidity is not my idea of fun.

By the way, there was a `.333 Jeffery` - a very different calibre to the .303 - AND it is listed by Kynoch..........but you wouldn`t be daft enough to mix up the two would you ? ........................................................................................