A Delightful Recce’ to JAPA

Past and future planned - events/ outings/ training sessions/ offline meets/ camps/ matches etc.
brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:19 pm

Hi Guys!

If the proverbial “4Ps” be the pillars to most marketing initiatives, I would then unconditionally opine that the “3Es” are the primeval paradigms to most unplanned & spontaneous outings – ENTHUSIASM, ENERGY & ENTERPRISE!!!

On last Saturday night just as I finished my dinner, were 2 calls waiting from fellow IFGians Kshitij & Ankesh….When I touched base with them their response was:

Hey Brihaji be ready with your lock, stock & single barrel – will pick you up at 7am tomorrow for a day out plinking…

7am on the dot Kshitij was at my doorstep, on the way picked up Ankesh & later Rahul another IFGian whom we met for the first time as he had expressed his desire to join us…

With our stomachs rumbling we downed a quick breakfast of Hominy Grits (Upma) & Indian Donuts (Medu Vada) soaked in Sambhar (spicy lentil gravy) which was washed down with cups of hot cardamom flavored tea….

Satiated we then hit the trail….on the way (halfway to our usual plinking spot) both Ankesh & Kshitij came out with this brilliant proposal….Lets head for JAPA & do a Recce’ – what say Brihaji as none of them had been there earlier….

With a clear road on a Sunday morning the temptation was over powering – So JAPA it was!!!!

At 10am we entered the precincts of JAPA to find Rohan the owner of the 35+ acre semi pristine forest area where he conducts a riding school…

We found Rohan with his team of scythes & a few horses in an open patch inducting 10 year old boys & girls into the fine art of riding….

After introductions & a bear hug with yours truly (Rohan happens to be an old friend) he led us to a thatched roof gazebo to exchange some small talk….

Kshitij, Ankesh & Rahul were literally dumbstruck looking at & taking in the ambience….greenery all around, soft cool breeze blowing & the best of all to see young foals running around, Mary a giant Sow heading towards a water trough followed by a proverbial little lamb, a flock of geese ambling their way around, an inquisitive EMU peering over its pen, turkeys preening themselves, a pair of unusual black Rabbits munching their celery bits and last but not the least 4 exotic canine breeds warming themselves in the early morning sun….apparently least interested in what was going on around them!!!
It was then that I heard the unmistakable sweet avian sound in an almost near human voice calling out “Hello”!!!! Turning around I saw this exotic white feathered “Cockatoo” perched on a tree limb close by!!!!

In a jiffy it flew & perched on Rohan’s shoulder…who then introduced me to it whereupon it hopped on to my shoulder, nibbled at my ear & cooed “Hello” to me!!! It was a thrilling experience for me!!!
Made me feel like "Long John Silver" from Treasure Island!!!

After a cup of refreshing hot tea we brought in our “pellet spewers” – Ksitij his Precihole NX100 in 22cal with a 4X Walther scope, Ankesh his Hatsan AT54 in 0.177cal with 3 x 9 variable Mauser scope & yours truly with my custom built Turboshot in 22cal with a 4 x 12 variable Bushnell scope.
L to R Kshitij - Briha - Ankesh / War Lords on the prowl!!!!

Rohan then set up a ‘flipper target’ at 50yds for us go thwak, thuk & bang & went about overseeing his brood learning their equestrian skills!!!!

Yours truly getting the crosshairs on to the flipper - Tough task!!!!

The newbee 'Rahul' getting the hang of it - did he get it - 3 out of 5 - beginners luck????

Dont be taken away by Ankesh's antics - He is taking a bean on a wild fruit 30ft up on a tree!!!

2 hours went past without none of us realizing it, maybe because the calm & peace all around had this soothing effect while we were busy shooting to glory!!!

Well, all things have to come to an end, and it was time to take leave of Rohan and head homeward… A stop over for a quick lunch of burgers & coke we drove home having spent a delightful & soul satisfying Sunday ….

L to R - Rahul, Ankesh, Briha, Rohan, Kshitij - Birds of the same feather!!!!!!

You guys must be wondering - not seeing the pic of Kshitij shooting - actually during the photoshoot, he had better things to do - Watching the resident Rooster chasing a plumb Hen that had wandered in from the next compond :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nevertheless Kshitij scored more hits than any one of us with his PH NX100 - what's more- with his newly acquired match pistol he sent the cap of a pellet container flipping 3 times in succession at 10 metres :D

PS: Ksitij & Ankesh have taken the onus to conduct the next JAPA Meet sometime in Jan 2015….Stay tuned for registration details!!!

:cheers:
Briha
Last edited by brihacharan on Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

For Advertising mail webmaster
kshitij
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: A Delightful Recce’ to JAPA

Post by kshitij » Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:04 pm

Excellent write up brihaji! Relived the weekend once again :cheers:
Japa was amazing, instantly fell in love with the place. Must thank Rohan for having us over at such a short notice. It was a pleasure meeting him.

This weekend was indeed a recon run to see the place. The thought of having an offline meet has for long been there in the back of my mind. Will shortly put up the plan and do hope fellow members from Mumbai and Pune will join us :D
Lock, Stock and Barrel.

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:53 pm

"unconditionally opine"

"primeval paradigms"

:-)

Well done, Brihaji! Scrolling down your post while reading, I saw your picture rise from the bottom of my window and immediately thought that you must have gotten Jim Hawkins to tell you where the treasure was buried!

The only thing that could exceed the luster of your writing was the beauty of the day you all spent out plinking. Thanks for sharing the sights and sounds of the day with us in words and pictures -- I feel as if I've partaken of a sumptuous feast!
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

pistolero
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by pistolero » Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:27 am

What a great write up! Thoroughly enjoyed reading it.

Glad you all had such a great day, wish I could join you all one day.

Regards,
Pistolero
"Whatever is begun in anger ends in shame."

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:33 am

Once again the sublime prose flows from Brihaji's pen (keyboard, rather), transporting the readers to a place where horses roam and roosters chase chickens and men shoot!

And when Brihaji poses as Long John Silver, you can almost hear in the background "Fifteen men on the dead man's chest; With a Yo-Ho-Ho and a bottle of rum!"

A Japa meet in January? Heart goes hammering in anticipation!

Let's do it guys! Count me in with my next gen!
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:24 am

essdee1972 wrote: Once again the sublime prose flows from Brihaji's pen (keyboard, rather), transporting the readers to a place where horses roam and roosters chase chickens and men shoot!

And when Brihaji poses as Long John Silver, you can almost hear in the background "Fifteen men on the dead man's chest; With a Yo-Ho-Ho and a bottle of rum!"

A Japa meet in January? Heart goes hammering in anticipation!

Let's do it guys! Count me in with my next gen!
SD!!!
Thanks for the quick rewind of the ditty "15 men on the .......Yo Ho Ho & a bottle of Rum :cheers:
Remember the good ol days when we rode the highway to Japa :D
Yes! We must do it asap :skeet: :skeet: :skeet:
Briha

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:40 am

Delightful post, images and experience brihacharan :D Thank you for sharing.
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:03 am

essdee1972 wrote: And when Brihaji poses as Long John Silver, you can almost hear in the background "Fifteen men on the dead man's chest; With a Yo-Ho-Ho and a bottle of rum!"
After reading Esdee's post I started having visions of Black Beard's ghost.
Ha Ha, I can almost hear the parrot; "Aaaawrk! Pieces of Eight".

Great write up Brihaji.
Sounds like all of you had a great time.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

airgun_novice
Veteran
Veteran

Post by airgun_novice » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:29 am

What a delightful narrative, brihji !!! Made me feel I was there... in person. :-)
So glad y'all galloped out there on the spur of moment letting go of the reins of your enthusiasm. On the side, Rohan seems to have put on quite a few pounds. err, turned out a pun there. ;-)

Also wonderful is the fact that you have decided to take on organizing the next Japa event in your young capable hands. Hopefully, I can join y'all there next year.

essdee1972 seems to have recovered from his knee injury unless he has those wood barrel strips in a cast around his leg, a black patch covering his specs, a dotted red kerchief around his forehead, a B&H puffing out of his pouted lips and a half-emptied bottle of Caribbean rum in his hand while he sings ahoy. :cheers:
regs
A.

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:42 pm

To my dear fellow IFGians...
Kshitij, Timmy, Pistolero, Essdee, CK Kalyan, XL_target & Airgun-novice......
Please re-visit my post....."Surprise"....A transformation in my mug-shot with the parrot :D :D :D
(a bit of photoshopping by my colleague at the office)
:cheers:
Briha

airgun_novice
Veteran
Veteran

Post by airgun_novice » Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:05 pm

Brihji, Did the one-eyed 'popat' that raised its ugly head have anything to do with you wearing the patch and the "danger-marked" cap ? :roll: :lol: ROTFL :cheers:
(Meant to be a passing light joke, please do not read too much into the above; err, nothing between the lines. ;-) )

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:26 pm

airgun_novice wrote: Brihji, Did the one-eyed 'popat' that raised its ugly head have anything to do with you wearing the patch and the "danger-marked" cap ? :roll: :lol: ROTFL :cheers:
(Meant to be a passing light joke, please do not read too much into the above; err, nothing between the lines. ;-) )
Far from it AGN...
The makeover was an inspiration after the responses I got from you guys :D
It was getting as close to the legendary Long John Silver.....anyways my grandchildren loved it :D :D :D
Briha

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:21 pm

Love it, Brihaji!
It reminds me of this photo of CK when we were in Illinois visiting Mark.

A very piratical moment. He's just lacking the Gold stud in the ear.
Yo Ho Ho and a bottle of ... something. :)
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:15 am

Brihaji, that photoshop art actually made me (almost) fall off my chair! I think I am gonna be sacked for insanity, someday!!

XL. CK sahib looks like he's about to say "Avaaaast! Ye rabble! Get ready to taste Blackbeard's wrath!!", while boarding another poor merchantman! Can you photoshop the garbage bin in the background to look like a brass "long nine"?
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

Rrahulkumar
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Rrahulkumar » Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:44 am

Thanks a lot Brihaji, Kshitij, Ankesh for making me feel at home.
Apart from the breathtaking beauty of Japa the time spent with you guys is etched in my heart.