Bachelor's Weekend in Kelowna, BC

Past and future planned - events/ outings/ training sessions/ offline meets/ camps/ matches etc.
ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Bachelor's Weekend in Kelowna, BC

Post by ckkalyan » Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:46 pm

I did take the Girsan Yavuz 9mm Compact out later, after my first efforts at the local range onwards to Baljit's range in Kelowna during the long weekend in the first week of Aug...to get his opinion and feel of the pistol and also to take up his offer of coaching me in the nuances of pistol shooting. Remember his earlier invite from here:
Baljit wrote:Wow!! CK at least you are on the target.Keep in mind you need lot'a of rounds to fire to become good shooter.
Other thing, com'n over with lot's rounds and spend some with me.I'll make sure when you fire your gun again all the rounds should be in ten rings. In the mean time shoot safe. Baljit
http://indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php ... 9&start=15

Now another reason as to why I am heading to Baljit’s home - I spoke on the phone with him and he said that he would be a bachelor for the period between Thu 31 Jul and Mon 04 Aug since his family was away attending a wedding in Vancouver. Would I like to join him for a loooonng weekend? I replied like a shot – YES!

This was at the same time that I carried Baljit's AR-15 Barrel, Gas Tube and Block from Vancouver – related in the AR-15 tag here:
Baljit wrote:Hello Guy's,
Here is further updates for my AR project. Yesterday, CK already picked up the barrel,low profile gas block and gas tube for me from my gunsmith and he is coming over tomorrow.Once he is here we will post pictures of the barrel,gas block and gas tube for all of you guys.
If everything going well maybe I am going to put test fire on this coming weekend on my AR. Baljit
http://indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php ... &start=165

The drive to Kelowna from Richmond - some 400 kms away is spectacular - ah, beautiful, winding, mountain roads, some of the peaks still carrying remnants of the winter snow at this time of year. It brought to mind the thought – what if I were travelling in the late 1800’s on a horse trying the same route, instead of in the mid 2000’s in a Honda Civic DXG Coupe? Sigh – once a fan of the wild west…?!

I noticed that for most part of the highway nearing Kelowna, the speed limits were now increased to 120 kmph (earlier 110) - Wow! Somebody finally woke up to the fact that these highways were ‘underpowered’. Yet, I could observe cars zipping by me at a rate of 140-150 kmph, although I was at a sedate rate of speed at 130! I am guessing numbers on road signs do not matter much?!

I had departed Richmond at 0745 hrs and was supposed to reach Baljit’s place for lunch by 1300 hrs…I was in no hurry to make the journey in the roughly 4 Hrs that was wont, hoping to take it easy and enjoy the amazing scenery en route, but I was surely curious to see what was lined up for lunch by my generous host. On the way the brilliant Sun was in my eyes and on my windshield, troubling me quite a lot; I had to keep the visor down for most of the journey and shift in the seat and keep my face out of the Sun’s benevolence most of the time.

While driving, I was torn between the magnificent vistas of pine clad mountains on my left and deep gorges, valleys and rivers on my right. How I wished that there was someone else driving, or at least a companion – to keep me awake on the lovely drive, so that I could drink in the beauty of nature all around me. I also wished for frequent, strategic stop areas where I could shoot a few pictures, share with you and assimilate the beauty around me. The Canadian road system, sadly was not conducive to such activity!

Here I must mention that that I am a lousy, long distance driver (especially when single!). Every vehicle seems to put me to sleep! No matter how many cigarettes, amazing music on the DVD/FM/AM, or high-powered coffees; nothing can keep me from drifting off! I am just lulled – like a baby on any moving vehicle – I consider it – mostly a blessing than a curse?! How many of us would love to be able to sleep peacefully on a long bus, train, boat or plane journey?

Hmmm….since there was no double stacked, .45 caliber blonde at the wheel of my car, all I could do was to split my sights between the winding, challenging road at high speeds and the amazing wonder of nature on either side – this was surely a perilously ‘split’ sight picture!

More up soon....and Baljit has some nice images and video on his camera...
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!

For Advertising mail webmaster
Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: Bachelor's Weekend in Kelowna, BC

Post by Vikram » Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:48 pm

Kalyan,

An excellent beginning to what is going to be a delectable feast to the eyes. Eagerly looking forward to the rest of the instalments.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:17 am

ckkalyan wrote:
Every vehicle seems to put me to sleep! No matter how many cigarettes, amazing music on the DVD/FM/AM, or high-powered coffees; nothing can keep me from drifting off! I am just lulled – like a baby on any moving vehicle – I consider it – mostly a blessing than a curse?!
Hehe! I can vouch for that. :wink:

We were driving through a beautifull winding river valley and I say; "Hey CK Check this out".
No answer. I look over and there is CK cutting Zzzzeees.
More up soon....and Baljit has some nice images and video on his camera...
Looking forward to it, Baljit and CK.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:10 am

Some images of the beautiful highways en route to Kelowna (taken off the internet)

Alpaca Peak

Inside The Great Bear Snow Shed

Route Map

Kelowna - the mountains and high country - is any outdoorsman’s, ultimate dream. Especially so, in the few summer months Jul / Aug – when you can actually look up and see endless swathes of huge, blue, cloudless skies and experience the bright sunshine.

I suddenly realized that my fuel gauge was nearing empty. I crossed my fingers and hoped that I would be able to make it to the nearest gas station in Merrit. Thankfully, I reached just in the nick of time, heaved a sigh of relief and topped up the tank.

I reached Kelowna by 12:45 and found Baljit’s family busy in final preparations to leave on their journey. Having said quick hellos, I congratulated Baljit’s wife on her new Chrysler 300, a very nice luxury sedan.

Baljit's wife new Chrysler 300 limited edition (taken off the internet)

The family left on their trip soon after and Baljit announced that it was time for lunch. We popped open a couple of chilled bottles of Heineken and tucked into some delicious Pulao.

Here is Baljit's house and outside view.

After lunch we decided to start assembling the AR-15 barrel, gas tube and block. It was interesting work and Baljit had all the necessary tools at hand.
Last edited by ckkalyan on Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:35 am

Hi Kalyan,
> Your tryst with 'Kelowna' is a feast for the eyes, music to the ears & of course with Baljit around a gourmet's delight for the belly :D
> Waiting for more to come...
> Have fun guys - When you take a 'tipple' think of us poor guys :lol:
Briha

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:57 pm

Thanks a ton gentlemen Vikram, xl_target & brihacharan-Ji

I am hoping now that Baljit kicks in with the images of amazing, gargantuan feasts when he is free! Some pretty delectable (sorry Vikram - borrowed your apt word) pictures, even if I say so myself!

When we are 'tippling' (which is most of the time on this trip - 'batching it' - so we are fogiven) - we always salute IFG - with a 'Zindabad' :lol: remember and recall members and posts...

xl_target
Hehe! I can vouch for that. :wink: We were driving through a beautifull winding river valley and I say; "Hey CK Check this out". No answer. I look over and there is CK cutting Zzzzeees.
ROTFL ROTFL Hoping I'll check out some CZ's soon...

Funny thing though...remember the shortage of .22LR Ammo? Guess what? During our wanderings, searching for sustenance (mainly Heineken Beer and BBQ Fodder) locally - we found a 'few' rounds available in Baljit's neck of the woods (across a couple of stores)! :o

Some CCI Mini Mags and Federal so I decided to top up my stock! What really zapped me here was that I had purchased roughly 2,000 rounds of .22LR when I did not even own a gun to fire them out of!!! :lol:

DUH! So now you know - this is my personal contribution to the prevalent - North American Shortage of .22 Ammo! ROTFL

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:17 pm

Kalyan Da, another fantastic post that is gonna keep me glued .....

Thanks for the fantastic narration and photos....

I am following you .... not sleeping on the wheel at all :lol:

:cheers:

TC

DUH! So now you know - this is my personal contribution to the prevalent - North American Shortage of .22 Ammo! ROTFL
I too happen to an obsessed 22 ammo collector... will share pics someday :lol:

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:42 pm

What lovely country! How I wish that I was on such a road trip now! Thanks for sharing these!
ckkalyan wrote:Some CCI Mini Mags and Federal so I decided to top up my stock! What really zapped me here was that I had purchased roughly 2,000 rounds of .22LR when I did not even own a gun to fire them out of!!! :lol:
As it appears that you are well on your way to finding a solution to this problem, I will wait for the forthcoming range report… :-)
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:20 am

Once the AR was assembled, we left for the range to try it out...testing done, we moved on to the Pistol Bay to play with the Girsan 9mm…we also fired Baljit's GSG .22, 1911 and Para Ordinance 9mm, 1911. Spent almost 3 hours at the range on this nice warm, sunny day!

Guest pass for the day.

Here we are in the range.

Later we were out sourcing raw material for the BBQ planned for Sat. Baljit had a shopping list in mind of exactly what we had in mind.

My Impulse Purchase

As you know we had lovely steaks and some grilled cheddar smokies, washed down with copious quantities of W&S.

Cheddar smokies

The next morning we woke up leisurely and we cracked open a...

Heineken Draught Keg

No half measures here for breakfast! :lol:

Around mid afternoon and just to keep the momentum going Baljit fixed up what he called a 'summer drink'! If I remember correctly this consisted of about half a glass of Bombay Sapphire Gin, a few drops of freshly squeezed lime, a pinch of salt, topped off with lots of ice and club soda. When I saw him mixing the drink - I thought to myself, no way I am going to be able to down that!

Bombay Sapphire Gin

Baljit making the Summer Drink.

:cheers: Surprisingly, the drink went down the hatch very smoothly indeed, delicious!

During all this we kept working on marination and prep work for the BBQ. A veritable mountain of Chicken Kebabs on Skewers, artistically arranged with bell peppers. There was also some Deer Meat Sausages! Yum!

Marinated Chicken Drumsticks

Deer Sausages

Chicken Kebabs
Last edited by ckkalyan on Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:26 am, edited 3 times in total.

Hammerhead
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Hammerhead » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:08 am

No Freakking Joke
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:32 am

Thank you TC, Timmy, Hammerhead - so glad you are enjoying the show! :D

After all the hard work, preparing this huge assortment of Barbeque-able stuff we are almost near dinner time, so we gradually start percolating to the backyard with all the necessary accoutrements. All the while we are chatting up a storm about all sorts of things; I ask questions about deer hunting and the processes involved converting the animal into sausage and pepperoni. When Baljit explains the details, I am quite amazed at the effort and work that is needed.

Time to fire up the grill, and lay on the Chicken Drumsticks

Baljit manning the Grill

Deer Sausages - Added!

While the cooking goes on we decide that we must keep our strength up, so we have a small snack!

Small Snack - Deer Pepperoni & Chips!

Baljit grills the marinated Chicken Drumsticks and Venison Sausage to perfection, constantly coating and turning them – he is quite the expert!

Main Course – Part I, Deer Sausage, Coleslaw and Potato Salad

Next it is time to lay the Chicken Kebabs on the grill!

Chicken Kebabs!

Mind you while all this hectic activity was going on we were not doing too badly on the liquid entertainment section either! :wink:

Spoilt for choice! :shock:

Last edited by ckkalyan on Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:19 am

Hi Kalyan,
> While going through the detailed description of Balijit & your "Escapade in the Kelowna Wilderness" - laced & graced with food & beverage a "la exotica" - The song that played in my mind was "Killing Me Softly" by Roberta Flack :D
> Kalyan your narrative sounded as if you are sitting right across me - both of us holding glasses of the "Amber Ambrosia" while Baljit was busy garnishing his delicious creations close by....
> Sincerely Kalyan you should take up to writing 'Travelogues' & Baljit open an 'Eatery'... You guys would become 'millionaires' :D
Briha

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:45 am

Thank you brihacharanJi - you were in our thoughts right there! :D

I never knew the name of the original 'Killing me Softly...' singer! It is one of my favourites - it just buzzes on in my heart every now and again. Later, I noticed a change in gender 'his' and 'her' versions/singers - thank you for pointing me in the right 'original' direction - I appreciate this song even more now! I'm taking a lot of 'Flack' (Ack Ack?) today! :lol:

I am sure you noticed from one picture to the other where the Heineken Keg had the company of two bottles and they - sort of magically disappear in the next image?

Well, what can I say, it was hot, thirsty work!! The bottles were merely our back-ups to the Draught Keg(s) - to be moved into battery, in case of an emergency! :lol:

During this whole operation, I was mainly the official photographer and chief 'gofer'/assistant - my somewhat, minor contribution to setting up this huge F&B exercise!

I did crank out a pretty good effort at the consumption end though - wouldn't you say?! :wink:

brihacharanJi - Thank you. I must, in earnest, contemplate what you have proposed! I see no major objections to becoming a millionaire in very short order!

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:40 pm

Hell, man! You guys sure enjoyed yourselves! Blessed are the chicken and deer who end up inside gourmets like you guys!!

I second Brihaji........
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:22 pm

Oh Lord CK! You are just killing me. Did you two down all the chicken legs? :shock:
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.