Advice required from someone in Arunachal Pradesh

Past and future planned - events/ outings/ training sessions/ offline meets/ camps/ matches etc.
essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Advice required from someone in Arunachal Pradesh

Post by essdee1972 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:32 am

I am putting this here as IFG seems to be the best bet to know anything about anything! Someone or the other will have the information and all the group is forever ready to share ...............

I am planning a trip to Arunachal Pradesh with family during the Diwali break. Need pointers on where to visit. ILP should not be a problem, unless for border areas, Tawang, etc. My better half was born there and hence this will be a reminiscence trip for her. And for me and kid, the first pleasure trip to NE. I actually wanted to visit Imphal-Kohima and see the war memorial, but it seems this will require a very long holiday!

We were planning to book hotels at each location separately, and a vehicle from Guwahati airport for the entire trip. The other option is to go for a package, which normally ends up pricier, with the agents' commission thrown in.

Any help / suggestions from people in Arunachal or those who have been there would be very helpful! If someone high enough can get us permits for Tawang and border areas, it will be really great!!

Thanks in advance!
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

For Advertising mail webmaster
brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Advice required from someone in Arunachal Pradesh

Post by brihacharan » Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:05 pm

essdee1972 wrote:I am putting this here as IFG seems to be the best bet to know anything about anything! Someone or the other will have the information and all the group is forever ready to share ...............

I am planning a trip to Arunachal Pradesh with family during the Diwali break. Need pointers on where to visit. ILP should not be a problem, unless for border areas, Tawang, etc. My better half was born there and hence this will be a reminiscence trip for her. And for me and kid, the first pleasure trip to NE. I actually wanted to visit Imphal-Kohima and see the war memorial, but it seems this will require a very long holiday!

We were planning to book hotels at each location separately, and a vehicle from Guwahati airport for the entire trip. The other option is to go for a package, which normally ends up pricier, with the agents' commission thrown in.

Any help / suggestions from people in Arunachal or those who have been there would be very helpful! If someone high enough can get us permits for Tawang and border areas, it will be really great!!

Thanks in advance!
Hi essdee,
> In case you need a porter & 'Man Friday' on your trip - I'm available :D
> Why don't you PM IFGian Nagarifle - he may be able to guide you...
Good Luck Bro...
Briha

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:31 pm

Brihaji, the day I need a senior citizen as a porter............. I'll be in a wheelchair myself!!
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:50 pm

essdee1972 wrote:Brihaji, the day I need a senior citizen as a porter............. I'll be in a wheelchair myself!!
ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL
:cheers:
Frankly I've never been to the far east beyond "Shillong"....Love to go there...
Enjoy your visit & post pics galore...
Briha

moulindu
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by moulindu » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:53 am

Hi Essdee Da
if your plan is to visit Tawang then you dont need to enter Arunachal (to Itanagar)through Banderdewa which is in border with Assam. You will have to split up from Assam- Arunachal Road from Tezpur & move towards Bhallukpung,Ziro & Tawang. You can book hotels from any online site. The hotels will have exotic view but dont expect 5 star category service. You can hire SUV preferably from guwahati itself. And probably night hault at Bhallukpung & the next morning you can reach Tawang.
Regards Moulindu

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:01 am

Thanks, Moulindu!

The name Bhallukpung sounds very interesting - any bears still to be seen?
Cheers!

EssDee

veejosh
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by veejosh » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:02 pm

moulindu wrote:Hi Essdee Da
if your plan is to visit Tawang then you dont need to enter Arunachal (to Itanagar)through Banderdewa which is in border with Assam. You will have to split up from Assam- Arunachal Road from Tezpur & move towards Bhallukpung,Ziro & Tawang. You can book hotels from any online site. The hotels will have exotic view but dont expect 5 star category service. You can hire SUV preferably from guwahati itself. And probably night hault at Bhallukpung & the next morning you can reach Tawang.
Regards Moulindu

Either which way you want to hit Tawang you got to enter Arunachal (unless you are with the invaders from China)
Ziro is on a different axis. For Ziro you got to go to Kimin.
For Tawang it is Via Bhalukpong-Tenga Valley- Sela Pass ...
Regards
Vikas

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:38 pm

Hi essdee,
> HOPE this would be of SOME HELP :D
INNER LINE PERMIT
Developed by DC Office Tawang

HOW TO APPLY FOR INNER LINE PASS
There are two types of application forms for inner line pass available in the District Office-
1. Permanent Inner Line Pass
2. Temporary Inner Line Pass

Procedure to apply for Temporary Inner Line Pass
1. Obtain an application form for Permanent Inner Line Pass, from Jan Suvidha, DC office Tawang, paying a minimal charge.
2. Fill in the form with the necessary information given.
3. There is an undertaking page where the sponsor /local guardian has to fill the details like trading license No. and mention the purpose for availing him/her the inner line pass.
4. There is a verification column where the applicant has to get the signature and seal of the concerned category-
•Government Employee- Head Of The Department
•Businessman- Bazar Secretary/Chairman
•General- Gaon Burah /ASM
5.After filling the form submit it along with the attested enclosures in Jan Suvidha counter for further processing.
• Any proof of identity like School Identity Card for minors.

Before planning, here is something very important. You need an Inner Line Permit to visit Tawang. All the other areas are open to domestic travelers except for the military dominated areas. Typically, it takes 3 to 4 weeks to get that permit. You can get the permits from Delhi, Kolkata and Guwahati. You can send an application for the permits to these addresses:

Resident Commissioner,
Arunachal Bhawan, Kautilya Marg, Chanakyapuri, New Delhi: 110001Tel: 91-11-23013956
The Liaison Officer, Government of Arunachal Pradesh, CE-109, Sector-1 Salt Lake City, Kolkata; Tel: 91-33-23341243 / 23589865

The Liaison Officer
Government of Arunachal Pradesh, R.G.Baruah Road, Guwahati, Assam: 781021; Tel: 91-361-2452859/2456720

HOW TO GET TO TWANG
Another option that you have is to stay in Guwahati for two days and get the permit. You will have to go the same address mentioned above and give the details of all the members who are traveling. Make sure you carry the passport or driving license of all the members as ID proofs will be needed.
One more option you have is to get the permit from Tezpur. To reach Tawang, one of the best way is to go from Tezpur. You will have to take a taxi from there. The taxi driver will help you in getting the Inner Line Permit.

The cost for the permits would roughly cost around INR 200-300 for 4-5 people.

Getting There
There are many ways by which you can get to Tawang. Flights, Trains, Buses, Cars, Jeeps and Helicopters. I am not giving you the option of train from Bangalore to Kolkata as the train journey takes 35 hrs.

Option I (2 flights and taxi)
You can take a flight from Bangalore to Kolkata and then from Kolkata you can take the Air India flight to Tezpur. There is only one flight at 5:40 a.m. in the morning which arrives at 7:40 a.m. in Tezpur. The flight will cost approximately INR 2200 per person. From Tezpur, you can then take a taxi to Tawang. The journey from Tezpur will take 13-14 hrs. It is advisable to break the journey either in Bomdial or Dirang. People who have been there earlier, suggest that you should stop in Old Dirang as it is almost picture perfect Tibetan stone village.

Option II (1 flight and taxi)
A flight from Bangalore to Guwahati via Kolkata. There are flights from Spicejet and Indigo and will approximately cost INR 5500 per head. From Guwahati, you can take a taxi either directly to Tawang or take a taxi from Guwahati to Tezpur and then from Tezpur to Tawang. From Guwahati, the journey to Tawang will take about 16 hrs. Guwahati to Tezpur is 4 hrs and Tezpur to Tawang is 12-14 hrs.

Option III (1 flight and helicopter)
Flight from Bangalore to Guwahati on Friday. Stay in Guwahati on Friday night and then take a helicopter on Saturday. The helicopter will take you directly from Guwahati to Tawang. According to the official website of Tawang, the helicopter services cost INR 3000 per head & the duration of the flight is about 80 minutes.
Briha

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:19 am

Thanks, Brihaji!

The ILP can be obtained online submitting scanned copies of ID proofs and so on. Also, the AP tourism deptt offices will also issue the same. There's one in WTC, I believe. Even AP House / Bhawan in Delhi (near CP), or the one in Navi Mumbai can help.
Cheers!

EssDee

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:01 pm

essdee1972 wrote:Thanks, Brihaji!
The ILP can be obtained online submitting scanned copies of ID proofs and so on. Also, the AP tourism deptt offices will also issue the same. There's one in WTC, I believe. Even AP House / Bhawan in Delhi (near CP), or the one in Navi Mumbai can help.

Yeah, you've to check that one out!
Being a logistics guy, you should make this trip a real success....
Good Luck :D
Briha

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:30 pm

best to got to Tezpur- take taxi as plenty going to Bhallukpung and onwards, ILP at Bhallukpung.[best to get it at delhi etc to save time] one day drive to Bombdilla stay overnight and next day to Tawang. this part is the most interesting as you will be going via sella pass and pretty rough roads.
Guawhati-Tezpur-Bomdilla one day
Bomdilla to Tawang one day.

chopper service is not recommended, as they have a habit of hitting a mountainside often and no fun as you miss most of the experience which is best had by road.

some of my pics
viwe from outside Tajpur
Sella Pass Gate and not Tawang
Sella lake
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

chucky
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by chucky » Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:22 pm

Beautiful Pictures nagarifle. Lovely place, hope to visit someday.

moulindu
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by moulindu » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:28 pm

Essdee Da
Dont forget to take abomine tablet as they will be pretty handy as the road from tezpur will churn your stomach. The road from Guwahati to Tezpur is nice(last been there 10yrs back).

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:15 pm

chucky wrote:Beautiful Pictures nagarifle. Lovely place, hope to visit someday.

+1
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

airgun_novice
Veteran
Veteran

Post by airgun_novice » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:19 pm

Does it mean that if I do not know anyone in Tawang, I would not be able to visit it since I won't find a sponsor for my IPL, or was it ILP ? :-(