Japan trip

Past and future planned - events/ outings/ training sessions/ offline meets/ camps/ matches etc.
dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Japan trip

Post by dev » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:40 pm

show offs. :-P
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

For Advertising mail webmaster
Katana
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Katana » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:38 pm

The one and only incentive I have to undertake this trip is to come back with a genuine katana. How I'm going to do it, I'm not to sure. The main problem begins when one is back on Indian soil. I'm sure one can purchase and carry it out. I did speak to a few people about this and they explained the procedure. Lot of paperwork, but it can be done.
Justice alone is the mainstay of government and the source of prosperity to the governed, injustice is the most pernicious of things; it saps the foundations of the government and brings ruin upon the realm - Sher Shah Sur, Sultan-ul-Adil.

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:55 pm

A `genuine` Katana ?
I hope that you have a very fat wallet !
Make a man a fire and he`ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
( Terry Pratchett )

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:29 am

dev wrote:show offs. :-P
ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL
Briha

moulindu
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by moulindu » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:58 am

Hi
Well my brother is in Japan (Mt Fizi) right now and I am asking him to bring me a Katana (ping version), a dagger may be. I am guessing since we dont have any issues while bringing kukri from Nepal there wont be any issue bringing a real dagger from Japan. Well linguistically i know ani kasi mas sensei ni re
Moulindu

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:24 pm

Katana wrote:The one and only incentive I have to undertake this trip is to come back with a genuine katana. How I'm going to do it, I'm not to sure. The main problem begins when one is back on Indian soil. I'm sure one can purchase and carry it out. I did speak to a few people about this and they explained the procedure. Lot of paperwork, but it can be done.
I knew it. Don't worry about the paperwork Katana. You will get one into India and personally I will raise a toast in Kolkata. Hope you remember our long conversations on this issue :D
My best wishes always.

:cheers:

TC

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:25 pm

brihacharan wrote:
dev wrote:show offs. :-P
ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL
Briha
ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL

TC

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:33 pm

Bon Voyage, Katana.
I hope you have a safe and enjoyable trip.
Take lots of photos.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

Kittu
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Kittu » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:40 am

Hi katana whisng you best of luck for your trip thanks

pistolero
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by pistolero » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:07 pm

Katana ji,

Do keep us posted on the visit! Do PM me if you are still there.

Regards,
Pistolero
"Whatever is begun in anger ends in shame."

Katana
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Katana » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:17 am

Hello folks,

I'm back!

This trip has been a wonderful experience for me. Taking in the sights, smells and tastes.....so different from India and the West. Not to forget the people who profusely 'arrigato' (thank) you for something you don't even deserve! Japan is a polite and self regulated society, although class differences are extremely apparent.

In between ferrying the family around, especially my boisterous 12 year old son to various places that they would like to see, I did manage to get some time off to visit some places connected to the arms and armour of Japan. One drawback is the absence of English in Japan, although they do try hard to make you understand. Most museums and places of interest lack information in English, so I did catch my bro-in-law who would then speak to someone who knew something about the place, history, article etc. and who would in turn explain it to me. I would then make notes and compare them at the spot in context. So my understanding might be a bit lacking. Do excuse me for it.

For anyone visiting Tokyo, a trip to the National Museum (Tokyo Kokuritsu Hakubutsukan) is a must. It is situated in Ueno Park. At one time the former hunting grounds of the Royal Family, quite close to the Imperial Palace. Artifacts here are not displayed here on the basis of a timeline, but rather on a subject basis. The highlight (for me at least) were 2 of the 7 'national treasures' of Japan that are housed here. Them being katanas and taichis, one from the Tokugawa Shogunate, the first of them to be established in Japan in Kamakura. The rest of the displays are exquisite pieces of Japanese art. There are also some pieces of Indian Buddhist art.

All photographs here are taken without the use of a flash, so please excuse any lack of clarity.
IMG_0843.JPG
IMG_0845.JPG
IMG_0846.JPG
IMG_0847.JPG
IMG_0848.JPG
IMG_0849.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Katana on Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:53 am, edited 3 times in total.
Justice alone is the mainstay of government and the source of prosperity to the governed, injustice is the most pernicious of things; it saps the foundations of the government and brings ruin upon the realm - Sher Shah Sur, Sultan-ul-Adil.

Katana
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Katana » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:20 am

IMG_0850.JPG
IMG_0851.JPG
IMG_0853.JPG
IMG_0854.JPG
IMG_0855.JPG
IMG_0856.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Katana
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Katana » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:23 am

IMG_0857.JPG
IMG_0858.JPG
IMG_0859.JPG
IMG_0860.JPG
IMG_0876.JPG
IMG_0877.JPG

Katana
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Katana » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:28 am

IMG_0873.JPG
IMG_0874.JPG
IMG_0875.JPG
IMG_0879.JPG
IMG_0878.JPG
IMG_0882.JPG

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:46 am

Glad you and your family made it back safely.
Thanks for posting those photos.
Could you include a line of commentary with each photo please. It would be interesting to know a little bit more about the artifacts.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941