61st Cavalry's Mounted Review at Jaipur

Past and future planned - events/ outings/ training sessions/ offline meets/ camps/ matches etc.
wingsoffires66
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Re: 61st Cavalry's Mounted Review at Jaipur

Post by wingsoffires66 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:35 pm

I had been to their Jai Rewat Stud farm last year.good people all of them.the Jumping circuit is very much in favour of a Tb X marwari. They can do quite a few things much better than both the breeds.
seenay mein hain chingariyaan , thodasa barood bhartey hain......

Girte hain Shahi sawar maidaan-e-jung mein, woh kya girenge jo ghutno pe chala kartey hain

For Advertising mail webmaster
Safarigent
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Safarigent » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:07 pm

:agree:

Lets hope its done properly.
To Excellence through Diligence.

AgentDoubleS
Poster of the month - Apr 2015

Post by AgentDoubleS » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:11 pm

Hi Prashant,

I've read through that post. Maybe I should have clarified- I am not doubtful of the role the horses have played in our history or for that matter the world's history. However, I have heard a lot of folklore- and particularly from the breeders that wings of fire mentioned that the Marwari is a War Horse. However, all the historical text I have read does not mention the Marwari or the Kathiawari. The battle of Haifa and the pictures attached to it do not have (or so I think) local Marwari horses being ridden. Here is a picture of a Mysore Lancer sawar. I doubt he is on a Marwari/Kathiawadi horse (the inward curved ears certainly missing) .. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Haifa_(1918)

I read a lot about Maharaja Ranjit Singh since I had heard about his legendary love for horses. Even writings on him do not suggest anything of the local Marwari region. Chetak while claimed a Marwari by some might not have been a Marwari- again no historical evidence to support it. Historical paintings I have seen again do not have the inward curved ears. But then again it might be a misnomer to assume that is a trait that's always been there in the marwaris. I need to read/research a lot more.

If I had questioned the War Horse claims of the Marwari/Kathiawadi on an indigenous horse forum the breeders would have issued a fatwah for me by now!

If one loves horses this is a must read The Horse that led to the Lahore War ,cannot vouch for the historical accuracy but it certainly is exciting:

http://www.lrgaf.org/military/lahore-war.htm

Alot of what I read suggested the Indian rulers preferred the influx of foreign breeds for their cavalry . I'm copying text from a senior thesis written by a lady in University of Washington:

Although horses were and are bred in India, it is clear from medieval sources such as the Ain-i-Akbari that imported horses were more valuable and considered to be of higher quality

As AB mentioned accessibility (or lack of it) to foreign breeds could have been the reason local horses were used.

To me a horse is a horse- whatever shape colour size breed it belongs to. If it has a heart and temperament (considering my poor riding skills) I'll love to ride it.
Some of the best horses I have ridden are ones I would not even notice in a herd of five.

And believe me I have still not grown up ..my office cabin and living room at home are covered with horsy things- paintings, statues, modern art pieces, my money clip, key chains.. can't get enough of them.

There's a polo pony called Roshini in the Army polo and riding club, nothing extraordinary about the way she looks- in size colour etc.. but the moment you see her on a polo field she stands out for her sheer responsiveness, agility et al.. I enjoy watching her more than the game itself!

For Alibaba, I heard it was a blank cheque offered and the response was - you don’t sell your son!

Cheers,
SS

prashantsingh
Poster of the Month - Aug 2011

Post by prashantsingh » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:09 pm

So true ss,

The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horses ears --Arabian Proverb

By the way ss. I was waiting for you to complete that Greater Noida Desi Horse show post you started. Was also looking forwards to the snaps but you left it half way. :(

wingsoffires66
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by wingsoffires66 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:59 am

For Alibaba, I heard it was a blank cheque offered and the response was - you don’t sell your son!
yes, they did offer a cheque at the first place, they felt he might be hesitant to write the amount on cheque so offered 40 lacs.
Mr.Jodh Singh tried to sell the 6month colt for 10 thousand , when his dealer friends refused , he decided " ab is ghode ko duniya dekhegi". He was a dealer serving mostly to royals and enjoyed their confidence. Maharaja Of udaipur came down to Narlai and when asked for this horse from Jodh singh, he politely offered anyone of his 3 sons but the horse. later Alibaba was trained and made a very good dancing horse out of.
Here is a picture of a Mysore Lancer sawar. I doubt he is on a Marwari/Kathiawadi horse (the inward curved ears certainly missing) .. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Haifa_(1918)
looks much like a sindhi breed, there is hardly anything of this breed left but this breed has the best temperament.
Chetak while claimed a Marwari by some might not have been a Marwari- again no historical evidence to support it.
some also claim chetak actually being a kathiawari hence the name Chetak on a kathiawari who featured in Ka-ma show , the crown jewel of Gujrat police mount division.definatela a top class specimen of all time.
Although horses were and are bred in India, it is clear from medieval sources such as the Ain-i-Akbari that imported horses were more valuable and considered to be of higher quality
Indians have always loved Phoren stuff over the desi stink. be it anything. The rulers of the land always screwed up things more with exceptions of HH. CH Shivaji Maharaj and HH. Maharana Pratap.Taxing system of Ch.Shivaji Maharaj is still considered the best ever. he considered factors like the quality of soil, availability of water ,type of crop,climate changes ,ect as factors to charge taxes.
To me a horse is a horse- whatever shape colour size breed it belongs to. If it has a heart and temperament (considering my poor riding skills) I'll love to ride it.
:agree:

Girte hain Shahi sawar maidaan-e-jung mein, woh kya girenge jo ghutno pe chala kartey hain

Safarigent
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Safarigent » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:18 am

Roshni is no more with the club. She has been transferred to the 61 Cav. An outstanding polo pony made by a legendary horse trainer, she was too good to be given to every tom, dick and harry who wanted her; including me.
And she was a reject horse. The trainer took her on and said i will make her play polo, and play she did!

AgentDoubleS

Post by AgentDoubleS » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:08 pm

prashantsingh wrote:
By the way ss. I was waiting for you to complete that Greater Noida Desi Horse show post you started. Was also looking forwards to the snaps but you left it half way. :(
Prashant, I could not make it to the horse show :( I've been pestering the UP Equestrian club (who organised that show) to have some tent pegging lessons conducted but they've just been ambling through it- no pun intended ;)... My attempts at polo till now have only yielded a few embarassments. I've been trying to keep regular with my riding though.

But here's a pic of Shehzadi if that makes up! - after a cross country ride in Kanota, near Jaipur.
133480_495236320002_1132469_o.jpg
Wings of fire, I've seen a lot of the indigenous horses with Police units in Guj, UP and Punjab. Incidentally was offered a ride on the punjab police horses in Phillaur when I had gone to participate in a GV Mavalankar. A horse named Milkha Singh! Haven't seen any of the indigeneous horses with army units. I do get your point about the 'foreign preference' of horses, could very well have been the case.

AB, who was the trainer..just curious. She sure is a spell binding polo player. Never even dared to ask if I could ride her!

Cheers,
SS
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Katana
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Katana » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:46 pm

wingsoffire and ab, you've said just about there is to say about the 61st. and the Kathis and Marwaris.........poor me! Just love those Marwaris though.

Sad also that Walers are no longer available in India. They did make good remounts. Sturdy and reliable horses they are.
Justice alone is the mainstay of government and the source of prosperity to the governed, injustice is the most pernicious of things; it saps the foundations of the government and brings ruin upon the realm - Sher Shah Sur, Sultan-ul-Adil.

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:13 am

I would love to see such an exercise, and I know my Wife would, as well. This is beautiful! Thanks for sharing the pictures.
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

Virendra S Rathore
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Virendra S Rathore » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:04 am

Thanks for the compliments Guys.
@Safarigent Jodhpur was the last State in Rajputana to maintain a decent cavalry and proper practices (including breeding).
Then with time as the States waned into history, things like finance and availability of vast land plots died out; this demanding tradition stumbled as well.

@wingsoffire66 The handling part reminds me of an incident during my marriage this Jan 17th.
For the event of Baraat's 'Nikasi' the groom mounts the horse for a ride. Used to be whole journey on horse before, now its till the nearest temple where you perform some rites and then embark on a Car. :lol:
So they brought the horse forward, I mounted it. My mother fed the horse and applied 'Tilak' to it.
Then something happened and the horse got spooked. As they say in Hindi 'Ghodi bidak gayi.."
She jumped up and jerked back dangerously, creating a scene at the wedding as all relatives had gathered around for 'Nikasi'.
I had my hands dug well beneath the Pommel of its Saddle and feet firm in the stirrup. Didn't let go :P
I was like 'Hey you want to panic go ahead, I'm not taking the fall with you'.
My plan was that in case she does fall or sit down I'll swiftly dismount else I would stay put on her and let her do her antics.
It took a while before the wild thing could be controlled by the Vendor who brought her.

My maternal uncle (Mama) furious as he was at the happening - did some nice treatment of the vendor :roll: . The vendor rushed in another Horse for me in few minutes.
Gradually the hysteria settled but my mother was in a state of panic until I returned with the bride.
She really got scared and started wondering which of the Gods she didn't cater to (yeah she's like that :) )
Though she and others later said that I did a good job by not finding myself flat on the ground. :mrgreen:

I asked the photographer "Do you have any video or pics of the incident"?
The bug*3r said no we don't keep such things. Removed it then and there :(

Regards,
Virendra
Virendra S Rathore

To Take my gun away for I might kill someone is just like cutting my throat for I might yell "Fire !!" in a crowded theatre ..

Safarigent
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Safarigent » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:17 pm

Jodhpur was not the last state to maintain cavalry.
Where did you read that?

prashantsingh

Post by prashantsingh » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:11 pm

[quote="Virendra S Rathor
Then something happened and the horse got spooked. As they say in Hindi 'Ghodi bidak gayi.."

Virendra[/quote]

Well this guy wasn't so lucky.
This video is on you tube.

It is hillarious. ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL

indianbarat.mp4-You Tube

Virendra S Rathore
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Virendra S Rathore » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:54 pm

Safarigent wrote:Jodhpur was not the last state to maintain cavalry.
Where did you read that?
Hear Say? A blog may be. :P Was one of the last for sure.
Which was the very last then ?
prashantsingh wrote:Well this guy wasn't so lucky.
This video is on you tube.
It is hillarious
The way my relatives discussed the event was hilarious too:
A : Boy you did great and held your own, if I were in your place I would've fallen on my face and lost the front teeth.
B : Hell I would have ran off as fast as I can and never mounted a horse again.
A to B : Haah you think a spooked horse would let you get down and run away !! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Then came my mother's remark "Well done. I'm proud that you didn't embarrass me."

After the mess my relatives were divided when the second horse came in.
Half said 'no need, too risky now' and the other half 'what fun of being a groom if not mounted the horse'
To be honest I was myself in split minds :D .. anyway, mounted again.

Regards,
Virendra
Last edited by Virendra S Rathore on Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Virendra S Rathore

To Take my gun away for I might kill someone is just like cutting my throat for I might yell "Fire !!" in a crowded theatre ..

Safarigent
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Safarigent » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:22 am

Well, atleast you got decent mounting practise out of it!
;)

wingsoffires66
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by wingsoffires66 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:19 pm

@Mr.Virendra
well done!
absolutely any reason is sufficient for a horse to panic. May be she was new to the baaraat situation and spooked by the crowd or drums or crackers or the uncomfortable saddle and all the nonsence bling hung upon her.most important of the torture being the assorted painful [read blood drawing] bits used to CONTROL the panicked animal by literally yanking the reins like its something lifeless. Shaadi waale Horses have a miserable life not because of their job but wrong trainers and over smart MACHO handlers.