Fireworks with IFGian's in Michael IL, USA

Past and future planned - events/ outings/ training sessions/ offline meets/ camps/ matches etc.
shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Fireworks with IFGian's in Michael IL, USA

Post by shooter » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:08 pm

Sorry to have missed you guys. I shall again (hopefully) be making my annual pilgrimage to the US in jan/feb. Maybe to Texas this time and surrounding states like new mexico. Any chances of meeting up with members there?

Baljit, thats the most detailed report on IFG... carry on the good work.

CK good one as usual.

Dada your posts are always something i look forward to.

Hammerhead....... wow i thought you would be a college boy.

Mark.... a great host.

Sooooooooooo many pics. tempting me to write a post of what i can deduce from them but alas a bit busy.

looking forward to the rest.
You want more gun control? Use both hands!

God made man and God made woman, but Samuel Colt made them equal.

One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. by Jose Gasset.

For Advertising mail webmaster
Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:13 pm

xl_target wrote:CK, the movie is actually better than the trailer would suggest. Unlike many of today's offerings where the trailer looks so good but the movie sucks. Once you watch Deliverance (and "Southern Comfort"), every time you hear a backwoods accent and/or banjo music; your subconscious will perk up and put a cautionary finger on the adrenal gland's trigger, ready to give you a shot if you need it. Every city boy's nightmare. :mrgreen:

I would second those words. Deliverance was a cult hit when it was released, not for the faint of heart though.It will creep you out in and out. Southern Comfort is relentless. I loved the sound track of it a lot more.

Some Cajun music for you there. Check out Balfa Brothers if you like this music.

[youtube][/youtube]

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:59 pm

I just wanted to clarify one thing.
This is the US of A in 2012.
While it pays to be a bit more alert in deserted areas, as there can be undesirable elements anywhere, it really wasn't that scary at the ferry terminal (but it does add to the story).
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

Bespoke
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Bespoke » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:14 am

Nice meet! Thanks for sharing the photos. :cheers:
“Bravery is believing in yourself, and that thing nobody can teach you.”

Baljit
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Baljit » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:44 am

Guy's i add more pictures for you in my last post.

Enjoy

Baljit

Hammerhead
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Hammerhead » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:09 am

Hammerhead....... wow i thought you would be a college boy.
Now I teach , part gun courses and part hunting courses as an apprentice and teach young punks practical hunting if they tag along. Very shortly we are leaving for our regular hunting trip and hope this time I get a deer with a bow, no success last three years with bow but got one in gun season - Haji
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:31 am

It looks like you all had so much fun! I so wish that I could have made it. However, perhaps there will be another chance. It would have been very profitable to receive some coaching for my bad handgun habits, and the P-51discussion of Mark's surely must have been edifying.
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:33 am

Tim,
We wished you could have made it too.
I'll let Mark tell the story of the P51 since he hasn't had a chance to add anything on this post yet.

Shooter,
Wish you were there too. I'm sure we will catch up with you one of these times you are here in the States.

Vikram,
That Cajun music is called Zydago and has become quite popular lately. Southern Comfort did pretty well at the box office and probably introduced a lot of people to the music. It does have a certain insistent beat. For some of us though, the music instantly brings back images from the movie.

By the way, Southern Comfort is also a pretty popular liqueur sold here in the US. God knows I tested enough of it while in college.

Baljit,
That photo of CK, swiping food of Amit's plate while he isn't looking, is a classic. ROTFL
Good catch!
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:18 am

That P51 was a metal model that had been made with the markings of a Mustang that a friend of mine flew during the war. You cannot see it in the picture but I was showing XL where my friend had signed it and written a short dedication to me on the wing. Pretty cool. Of interest is that after 2 tours (and 10 confirmed victories), he came back home and other than flying commercially he never flew another airplane. Sadly, he passed away last year.
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:00 pm

xl_target wrote: Vikram,
That Cajun music is called Zydago and has become quite popular lately.
XL, I am being pedantic here. Pardon me. Cajun and Zydeco music are different. Found it when I was searching for the Parlez nous a boire track of Dewey Balfa.

http://www.scn.org/zydeco/nwczHISTORY.htm
Comparing Contemporary Zydeco and Cajun Music and Dance
The rubboard player often drives the energy of zydeco music by emphasizing strong, syncopated rhythms. Zydeco usually has no fiddle, and the music resonates with sounds from jazz, rhythm and blues, and more recently, hip hop. Cajun music, which usually has no rubboard, sounds closer to country music, often melodic and sweet. Cajun musicians tend to play two-steps and waltzes in alternation, whereas zydeco musicians play mostly two-steps, and few waltzes.

The distinctions between zydeco and Cajun music affect the dancing styles. Cajun jitterbug, with its many turns and unique broken-leg step, is smoother and more precise; but zydeco dancing is more soulful, as expressed through greater hip action. Small, crowded dance halls have kept zydeco dancers in place on the dance floor, rather than circling the room like Cajun dancers. Dancing in a tight space to the pulsing and syncopated zydeco beat promotes a bouncy, vertical style with few turns. In contrast, dancing around the room to melodic Cajun music encourages smooth, horizontal movements with more turns.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:56 pm

Baljit, Guys...

The title says fireworks but all I have seen so far is waterworks :wink:

Dying to see some fire ...

:cheers:

TC

Baljit
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Baljit » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:28 pm

TC wrote:Baljit, Guys...

The title says fireworks but all I have seen so far is waterworks :wink:

Dying to see some fire ...

:cheers:

TC

TC, i am going to start post those pictures tonight when i am back from work.keep in mind i have to resized those as well.

Baljit
Last edited by Baljit on Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:45 pm

Take your time my friend. Was just pulling some legs out of envy :mrgreen:

Will wait..

TC

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:06 am

Vikram,
I read that article that you posted and am at a loss at his explanation.
Cajun musicians tend to play two-steps and waltzes in alternation, whereas zydeco musicians play mostly two-steps, and few waltzes.
Lets see ...Waltzes and two -steps. It's something else if we rearrange the order? LOL! Anyway, I'm not trying to be argumentative but I think our so called expert who wrote that article doesn't seem so sure himself.
The title says fireworks but all I have seen so far is waterworks
It wasn't water, TC, it was some stuff blended in the great white north
I think I was the only one drinking water :)

That part of Illinois is quite beautiful at this time of year. Rolling hills, the fields interspersed with stands of trees. The shelter between the croplands would make it perfect deer country. Mark's acres would be a dream to have. Your own woods with ample space to wander; with a creek running through it and full of wildlife. We heard owls hooting at night. You could hunt to your heart's content out there. A nearby neighbor has a pond that is literally bursting with fish (more on that later).The trees were just starting to change color when we were there. Truly an idyllic location; an outdoorsman's paradise and a great place to bring up kids.

Baljit
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Baljit » Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:30 am

Day 3
23 September 2012

Guy's i think all of you enjoyed the pictures so far and also all the story from XL and CK.i like to add these pictures with there story about Sunday.

This is what we did on Sunday.

First all of us have really good breakfast together.
Amit with his son.
XL and Amit and his son.very nice XL ROTFL
Here i am working on the pictures.
Here we all in the Shooting Range.
50 yards shooting range.
Target at 50 yards.
XL's gun's on the table.
22LR ammo.
Mark's Colt .45 and Rem.700
John's rifel in .22LR
Gun's on the table.
CK playing with XL's 10/22 rifle.
Now Amit's turn with 10/22
Now it's my turn with 10/22
After this we decied to take a shot berak but during the berak Mark bring his connon in to the shooting range.what else we need? !!
Here when i put the gun powder in the connon
Here John and XL try to put that connon back on.
Ready to fire.
Here when i am going to light the fuse.
Here XL, he help me out to light the fuse.
" BANG "
After the " BANG " we all talking about this.
Here is a Link for the video....
Mark with his Colt .45
Mark's son shooting his .22LR
XL,talking with Mark's son about his grip on handgun.
XL , shooting his gun.
Here i am talking with Amit about his grip on handgun.
Here i am standing behind Amit so i can see his line of site.
Here i am trying Mark's Colt .45
Here i am working with John about his shooting skill.
Mark shooting his Rem.700
CK shooting Mark's Rem.700
XL, shooting Mark's Colt .45
Guy's this is what we did in shooting range.Mark and Amit went for fishing shortly after this and they are back with this.(bottom picture)
Here in this picture i am watching Amit's mom because she drawing a picture on the paper.She is really good on art.
Dinner time.
Here in this picture you guy's can see all of us.
After dinner Mark show us his room where he hanging his gun's on the wall.
After the dinner all of us sites around the fire.

Guy's this is what we did on Sunday. i have more pictures for you about next day (Monday).Please stay with me in the meantime enjoy these pictures.i'll try to post those pictures tomorrow.

Enjoy
Baljit

to be continue...............
Last edited by Baljit on Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.