Maharashtra Rifle Association

A list of shooting clubs & associations in India. This includes state associations as well as NRAI affiliated rifle clubs.
mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:35 pm

Secretary
Municipal Rifle Range Worli Seaface (North)
Mumbai-400025

The have their own site http://www.mra.org.in/

And a contact e-mail ID too!! [email protected]

Nice to see a state rifle association get net savvy :)
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

For Advertising mail webmaster
jumq
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by jumq » Thu May 10, 2007 11:26 am

Hey Abhijeet ,

Have visited Maharashtra Rifle Association , Worli ( hop skip and jump from my place ) to inquire for admission and training camps .. but must say was rather disappointed on seeing the dilapidated condition of the place. The receptionist filled me with details of the form and the indemnity bond that I had to sign once registered. From what i learn on touring the place , there aint many new registrations happening and with the exception of few regular shooters , the club is left to perish.

Jumana.

monty3006
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by monty3006 » Thu May 10, 2007 2:34 pm

hey Jumq,
how do u then explain the more than 400 entries in mavlankars each year from maharashtra state?
And these are ppl who have achived the scores set by NRAI to qualify.
Come and have a look today..... we'r having a competition.
Monish

jumq
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by jumq » Thu May 10, 2007 3:54 pm

Hey Monty3006 ,

CLearly expressed what the dude stated who gave me a tour . Nonetheless, enquired abt the competition and will be there today ( evening ) and tommorow ( morning ) to watch the show ..and if u participating, wish you luck ..

Jumana.

jumq
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by jumq » Thu May 10, 2007 4:00 pm

..correction here ..

Evening for registration and Morning to watch the competition ..

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Re: Maharashtra Rifle Association

Post by kanwar76 » Thu May 10, 2007 4:53 pm

Don't forget to click som pics of the comp and if possible please paste a small poster about IFG :wink:

-Inder
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

will_achiever
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by will_achiever » Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:01 am

Another Rifle Club in Mumbai;
Swatantra Veer Sawarkar Air Rifle Club.
Opp.Shivaji Park,
DADAR-WEST
022-24465877.
Its good shooting range for 10mtr air rifle.
Worth visiting for air rifle shooting lovers.

Jignesh

shadow
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by shadow » Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:01 am

Dear Comrades,
Yes! I finally pulled myself together & went to the Worli range & thought would furnish the details for the benefit of our friends here. The receptionist was really distracted with personal work while talking to me & was not very forthcoming on sharing information except for repeating the same lines of the course fee, life membership fee & annual fee.
Anyway here it goes. The learning course for Pistol & Rifle starts after Jan 20th 2009. The fee for pistol training is Rs 3000/- & that for rifle is Rs 2000/-. There are 4 sessions for each - 2 Saturdays & 2 Sundays. The association will provide all the necessary equipments including the guns.
However they do not provide any course certificates for the same (which was strange) but she gave me an explaination that the same can be used by people to apply for arms licence & MRA strictly discourages that. Her tone was very stern when she said that MRA WILL NOT help with any letters or references for application of licence.
I asked her as to how can one prove that he/she is trained in handling fire arms & she replied that it would be through participation certificates in different competitions.
Coming to membership fee, life is for Rs 30,000 + Rs 2000 for annual renewal and for annual fee it is Rs 10000. It is non-tranferable to any other state association. However the member has the benefit again to use the club's equipments (the quality of which am not too sure of)
I collected the forms for both pistol & rifle learning courses & requested if I could see the place. I was expecting someone to come along to explain certain aspects etc. but was left on my own.
I first visited the 10m range which is indoor & with all due respects was amazed to see that 6 lanes were occupied and all of them were women. Great going! Then went to 25 metres which was not in great condition, but all the lanes were full. Any member here in the forum who was practising at the range at around 2.30-3pm? The worst was the 50m range. It was a poor sight, have not visited other state's associations & hence am not sure if this was better or worst. There was noone practicing there.
Am first joining the pistol course and will keep you guys posted on my experiences.
Just one question, hoping that am asking it in the right thread is that when one participates in state competitions do they use the club's guns? If not then how do people buy their own kit without licence?

Cheers,
Rup
"Tourists are terrorists with cameras. Terrorists are tourists with guns.”

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:09 am

A rifle club that discourages members from obtaining a license :? It can happen only in India.

Keep a photo copy of the application for the training course.Insist on a receipt of the fee paid.Attach the receipt and the xerox copy to your application for an arms license.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:16 am

Just one question, hoping that am asking it in the right thread is that when one participates in state competitions do they use the club's guns?
Yes, you can use the club's guns if you don't have your own.

shadow
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by shadow » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:46 am

penpusher";p="63581 wrote: A rifle club that discourages members from obtaining a license :? It can happen only in India.

Keep a photo copy of the application for the training course.Insist on a receipt of the fee paid.Attach the receipt and the xerox copy to your application for an arms license.
Strange indeed. Maybe they are safeguarding against people whose only motive is to get a licence & thus join these courses to make their case stronger. But it still sounds frivolous.

Thanks for the advice about keeping a photocopy & receipt. It didnt come to my mind at all.

Cheers,
Rup

shadow
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by shadow » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:47 am

Yes, you can use the club's guns if you don't have your own.
[/quote]

Thanks Mack The Knife!

Cheers,
Rup

shadow
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by shadow » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:14 pm

Dear Mods,
Am not sure if this is the right thread to post further development & my experience at MRA. Sincere apologies if i misfired. But here this is purely for novice like me who are taking their baby steps. Here it goes...I finally enrolled myself for the shooting course. The details of fee, duration etc. are mentioned in my previous post. This time I was attended by Mr Damodaran who is Asst Secretary of MRA. He asked me to write on the application form "I dont need a certificate" & made me sign it. I asked him the reason & he told me that its a very basic course & they will teach basics of air pistol.
Anyways, to move forward he mentioned that the training will be for 2 hrs, eight students per batch & most likely will start from last weekend of Jan 2009. I asked him again as to why air pistol & not handgun?
He explained the process that I first will have to take membership & I will be allowed to use only air pistols at the range for practice. Then there will be National Competitions in which I will have to participate. On attaining some minimum scorings reqd as per the guidelines, they will give me a form to fill for .22 and rest he said he will explain when I join.
Oh yeah, he also mentioned that their inventory has only sporting & no personal protection firearms. Forgive my ignorance veterans, but I dint really know that any difference existed.
Have shared this info for my friends who are as new to this field as I am.
For my comrades in Mumbai, there are still some slots available for the crash course so pls rush in!
Will keep the members update on my continuing experience.

PS: As suggested earlier by Penpusher, have kept a copy of the form in my "Documents for Licence" file. But they did not stamp the form & said the receipt will be given on the day I join the course.

Cheers,
Rup

tejasbangre
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by tejasbangre » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:39 pm

hey!! Guys can u tell me any rifle associations in Nagpur????

shadow
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by shadow » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:27 pm

Hi comrades,

This in continuation of my previous post. It was a great learning experience. Ofcourse I felt the duration of 4 days was too short a time to learn. The coach was Sheila Kanungo, national champion in pistol shooting - very helpful indeed!

Am taking up the membership of MRA. Apparently they have not been spending on beautification of the venue as they want to invest in buying good firearms & ammo for the association.

More later...

Cheers,
Rup