Starting to shoot -- Hyderabad helpers?

A list of shooting clubs & associations in India. This includes state associations as well as NRAI affiliated rifle clubs.
srswamy
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Starting to shoot -- Hyderabad helpers?

Post by srswamy » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:26 am

Dear Big guns of the forum,

I am a newbie here. I have few questions, not sure whether this is the correct forum.

1. Are there ranges around Hyderabad where we can practice with air rifle?
2. The http://www.raap.co.in/ site does not seem to work any more :( any one here knows some contact?

Thanks a lot, in advance!

--
Ram

For Advertising mail webmaster
farhan.lateefi
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: Starting to shoot -- Hyderabad helpers?

Post by farhan.lateefi » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:16 pm

Hi Srswamy,

welcome to the forum!!
we have a beautiful range in hyderabad located at Gachibowli. you can team up with us on sundays if you want. i will send you my contact details via PM.

:cheers:

farhan
''The great object is, that every man be armed.... Every one who is able may have a gun."

Patrick Henry

srswamy
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by srswamy » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:37 pm

Hey Farhan!!

That's a good info, thanks for that. Please share the contact details via PM and I will get in touch with you :)

Thanks!!
At times, I stay silent. When I don't speak, it doesn't mean I don't have anything to say and running out of words. It only means that I have better things to do.

arshad_ahmad48
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by arshad_ahmad48 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:48 pm

farhan.lateefi wrote:Hi Srswamy,

welcome to the forum!!
we have a beautiful range in hyderabad located at Gachibowli. you can team up with us on sundays if you want. i will send you my contact details via PM.

:cheers:

farhan
:D :D :D
In business, being the first doesn't mean anything. Getting it right is the recipe that defines everything.

Anand
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Anand » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:36 pm

Big welcome srswamy :D I had been to the range in Hyderabad Central University quite a few times but not in the last couple of years :shock: . I will have to remedy that situation soon however. :)
Let us know of the Firearms and stuff you own.
Anand

srswamy
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by srswamy » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:47 pm

Hey Anand,

You can call me Ram. As you can list out the typical beginner's toys, I own nothing different, one IHP National 35 -- 0.177 air rifle to start with!

Once I get well versed in licensing and other aspects of using and maintaining the rifles, I will go for higher firearms.

Ram.
At times, I stay silent. When I don't speak, it doesn't mean I don't have anything to say and running out of words. It only means that I have better things to do.

appana
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by appana » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:01 pm

Hi Ram , I am new entrant just like you . Can you help me if the Gachibowli shooting range was helpful and how can i approach it . Please acknowlede .

Thanks
Sri

tonysilas
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by tonysilas » Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:41 pm

hi ram
i'm also new to this forum.thanks to google for showing me the gate way to IFG.happy to se you all ppl here.by the way,how is shooting range at gachibowli? u have a membership with state rifle association?

-- Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:42 pm --

hi sri
i'm tony. which rifle/pistol you have with you?
‘The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.’’

Lucky Luke
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Lucky Luke » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:37 am

@ Tony
The range @ Gacchibowli is in the HCU campus. One does not need to be a member of RAAP to join.
You need to me a member of the range there. For this you need to land up with 2 stamp size photos, ID prof and Rs.510/-
The range isn't too crowded and the staff are reasonably helpful.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
fav gun related quote ?
Mae West : " Is that a gun in your pocket Cowboy, or are you really glad to see me ? "
;-)

Subal das
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Subal das » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:24 am

you are little bit late, they just finished summer shooting camp, many people participated in that camp, there was theory classes and practical shooting with peep sight rifles. excellent help for beginners.
"Loose lips sink ships"
"Curiosity kill the cat"

srswamy
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by srswamy » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:26 pm

All,

I'm sorry for the delay, I've not been on this forum lately, due to various reasons. To all, who are looking forward to go onto the SAAP range, Gachibowli, here's a piece of information. Kind of repeat info, what Lucky Luke has mentioned, just to add few more points.

Location of the range: Hyderabad Central University Campus, Gachibowli, Hyderabad.
Timings: 9:30 AM to 5:00 PM all days
Coach: Available (mostly in the morning hours)
Membership Fee: Rs 500/= per month (as of today, 28-Jun-10) + One time application form fee of Rs. 10/=
Documents needed: 1 address proof, 1 ID proof, 2 color passport size photos
Contact person: Mr. Govind Rao (Ex-Service man), very nice gentleman.

Walk in with these documents and your membership can be done the same day. You will be given an identity card from the SAAP for smooth entry. The main gate security will ask for an ID card the first time, just tell him you will be getting in a day or two. Make an entry in the register and then you can drive through.

We are required to carry our own pellets and targets. We can use the rifles available in the range or can carry our own.
Pellets -- they recommend flat head pellets, preferable of a good brand. The people there told me to go for P10 brand pellets.

As Subal points out, the summer camp just got over and we did miss something. Don't give up, that's not all. I was there last weekend, got myself enrolled, thanks to Anand and Lucky Luke in this thread for their pointers. Hope this info helps. Hoping to see you there on the range!!

Subal das
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Subal das » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:53 pm

also they have compressed air and you can fill up your PCP rifle and it is free. such an excellent place.

Shooting technically very complicated sport, it is important right from beginning follow 100% correct technique.

The only way for beginner to progress is to learn all aspects himself, for that I would recommend great book The Ways of Rifle.
"Loose lips sink ships"
"Curiosity kill the cat"

amer4545
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by amer4545 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:41 am

Subal, the book looks amazing from looking at the index. Is the book available in HYD?

Lucky Luke
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Lucky Luke » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:42 am

@ Amer
This book is available but is mostly out of stock. and when available lists @ Rs.3995/-
Sadly any chap new to air-gunning will have to choose between buying an IHP or buy the book and get his theory right.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
fav gun related quote ?
Mae West : " Is that a gun in your pocket Cowboy, or are you really glad to see me ? "
;-)

Subal das
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Subal das » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:58 am

no, it is not available in HYD, you can get it from Chandigarh by post and pay via Axis bank.

-- Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:10 pm --
Lucky Luke wrote:@ Amer
This book is available but is mostly out of stock. and when available lists @ Rs.3995/-
Sadly any chap new to air-gunning will have to choose between buying an IHP or buy the book and get his theory right.
book would much better !!!!

I do not actually understand why people wasting money on such rifles as IHP, if money is tight keep shooting good rifle on shooting range, there Anshutz rifles available and mean while keep saving for good rifle.

I used few IHP rifles in SAAP range and I cant hit the target from bench. maybe it have to be tuned etc but other wise it is no use of these rifles at all. Not that I'm such bad shooter, I can shoot Wather LG300 consistently in 10 from bench. Just my experience with these rifles.
"Loose lips sink ships"
"Curiosity kill the cat"