Opening a gun club /shooting range

A list of shooting clubs & associations in India. This includes state associations as well as NRAI affiliated rifle clubs.
asj_raj
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Opening a gun club /shooting range

Post by asj_raj » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:18 pm

Considering that this is my second post on this forum in all the years I have been registered, I do believe I should provide some context.
I registered when I purchased my first air rifle which has seen fair amount of use over the past years. Since I live in an urban area all my target practice of late has been plinking bottles.
I have applied for an arms licence twice and my applications have been turned down both times at the final stage, by the district police commissioner. Because the city does not have any shooting range or gun club both the times I applied under 'required for self defense' category, as advised by the 'lawyer' who handled all the paperwork.
Anyhow. Since the past few months an idea has taken root in my mind that instead of wasting my time again by just applying for an arms licence I should try something bigger and nip the problem (as I see it) in the bud. The problem is that my city does not have a gun club or a shooting range.
The way I see it, remedying this would not only be something that would make me happy and other gun enthusiasts in the city happy, but also be an alternative source of income.
However I have no idea where to even begin. So I turn the IFG board.
Please help me out. What are the property size requirements? Are there restrictions as to where a range can be opened? (like, 'shouldn't be a residential area' etc?), what kind of licencing is required, say if I only begin with an airgun range? And who all (apart from the police department of course) will be involved if I want to open a full fledged range?
Oh and by the way I'm from Jodhpur, Rajasthan.

For Advertising mail webmaster
asj_raj
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Re: Opening a gun club /shooting range

Post by asj_raj » Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:42 am

No one can provide any suggestion as to where I could start? :/

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:41 pm

If you could please search the forum. This matter has been discussed in great detail in some of the threads. You may refer the following thread http://www.indiansforguns.com/viewtopic ... 31&t=17166
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992

GNV
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by GNV » Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:57 pm

Then what happened to GBNRA ? Did it become a dream fulfilled or remained a dream of a teenager?

asj_raj
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by asj_raj » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:57 pm

goodboy_mentor wrote:If you could please search the forum. This matter has been discussed in great detail in some of the threads. You may refer the following thread http://www.indiansforguns.com/viewtopic ... 31&t=17166
Thanks. (y)
I had done a quick topic search but I couldn't find anything. I'll refer to that thread.

asj_raj
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by asj_raj » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:02 pm

GNV wrote:Then what happened to GBNRA ? Did it become a dream fulfilled or remained a dream of a teenager?
Just went through that thread and I was curious about that myself. Ends with a cliffhanger. What did the DM say?

Anyhow I have a starting point. To find the contact details of Rajasthan State Rifle Association. So there.

I'll keep this thread updated with my progress.

asj_raj
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by asj_raj » Mon May 02, 2016 5:33 pm

Off Topic
Hello Mr. Rajat, since I have a low post count I cannot respond to you PM directly. Let me know your email and I'll drop a message.

Rajat
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Rajat » Wed May 04, 2016 6:43 pm

asj_raj wrote:
Off Topic
Hello Mr. Rajat, since I have a low post count I cannot respond to you PM directly. Let me know your email and I'll drop a message.
rajatifg (@) yahoo.com

Thanks

Trajeev
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Trajeev » Thu May 05, 2016 7:46 pm

Opening an Air Rifle club does not require permission from police. it only requires permission from local municipal corporation for the structure. generally a 15 Mtr long passage x no of lanes( each lane having at least 1.25 Mtr) is required.An IFG member from Pudducherry has established a club in his backyard. PM me as and when you get it activated to discuss it further.Till then keep posting.

asj_raj
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by asj_raj » Sun May 15, 2016 5:26 pm

Trajeev wrote:Opening an Air Rifle club does not require permission from police. it only requires permission from local municipal corporation for the structure. generally a 15 Mtr long passage x no of lanes( each lane having at least 1.25 Mtr) is required.An IFG member from Pudducherry has established a club in his backyard. PM me as and when you get it activated to discuss it further.Till then keep posting.
Thanks for the info.
I haven't made much headway in my venture. After talking to a couple of people it seems that interest in an air rifle club would not be sufficient to make it commercially viable here. It will need to be a proper gun club.
I did manage to speak to a chap at Rajasthan Rifle Association. Plan to visit them next time I go to Jaipur.

TheThirdEye
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by TheThirdEye » Sun May 15, 2016 9:22 pm

I am in Chennai, Tamil Nadu where we have Rifle Clubs. But for the last 1 year I have been trying to become a member but unable to make it and hence thought of making a shooting range like you.

But it involved lots of formalities and investment hence I changed my mind to Plinking Range which doesn't require any kind of such formalities. Ultimately I will achieve my goal of gathering like minded people in my area and PRACTICE well with pleasure.

Now I am trying to go commercial for those who love to do this stuff.But not sure if should follow any rule when going commercial.

I have a land with 35ft wide and 15mtrs length which helped me to plan for 7 tracks.(will attach the plan).

Hope this time I will make one in Chennai.

Trajeev
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Trajeev » Mon May 16, 2016 3:51 pm

@TheThirdEye, Try contacting another IFG member 'Ravindrane' ,who has set up his own 4 lane shooting range in Pondicherry. I think,he will be a right person to guide you. I am presently designing & constructing a 5 lane range for a collage in Mumbai. PM me if you need any guidance.

Rajeev

TheThirdEye
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by TheThirdEye » Fri May 20, 2016 2:24 am

@Rajeev yes, will contact him first for information and be in touch with you too