Shooting for Hobby ! Guns & Membership

A list of shooting clubs & associations in India. This includes state associations as well as NRAI affiliated rifle clubs.
bajajtarun
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Shooting for Hobby ! Guns & Membership

Post by bajajtarun » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:00 pm

Hi,

I am based in Delhi and want to start learning and practicing shooting. Need your guidance and support.

Which is the best gun and pistol to buy ? Does it requires an arms licence to keep and use it.

Which membership is better DSRA or NRAI and what are the benefits of the membership.

Please if some one could assist and guide me, I will be obliged.

Thanks

For Advertising mail webmaster
bajajtarun
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Re: Shooting for Hobby ! Guns & Membership

Post by bajajtarun » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:12 am

Hi,

Please anyone who can guide me to buy a decent air pistol for target practice - price (around 10K or lesser)

StampMaster
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by StampMaster » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:56 pm

Hi Tarun,

Welcome to IFG. There is already tons of info available in the site for your new requirement.
Which is the best gun and pistol to buy ? Does it requires an arms licence to keep and use it
Depends on a lot of things- availability, local laws, usages, handling etc. You can get an air rifle or air pistol without any license.
Which membership is better DSRA or NRAI and what are the benefits of the membership.
I prefer NRAI as it is valid across India and you can use club facilities across state clubs which are affiliated to NRAI.

Cheers
”Criminals love gun control; it makes their jobs safer.”

Endlessmoor
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Endlessmoor » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:30 am

even i am also interested like Tarun, willing to get some guidance, i have no prior exp. but willing to sport shooting as a hobby.

Endlessmoor
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Endlessmoor » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:20 pm

no answer??

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:37 pm

Search the forum...

Sent from my ST27i using Tapatalk
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

farook
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by farook » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:23 pm

bajajtarun wrote:Hi,

I am based in Delhi and want to start learning and practicing shooting. Need your guidance and support.

Which is the best gun and pistol to buy ? Does it requires an arms licence to keep and use it.

Please if some one could assist and guide me, I will be obliged.

Thanks

If you joint DSRA you don't need a gun to practice in the club. They would give you pistols pellets and all. Like wise if you join NRAI you can practice in any of their affiliated clubs across India. Suggest you join and practice for some time until your ready to buy a rifle or a pistol.

If you want to import a air-rifle or pistol you need to be a member of NRAI or any of its state affiliated clubs. Imports are restricted to .177. You cannot import a .22. No license is required for an air-gun of .177

Air rifles would cost between 40 k for a Walter dominator 1250 ( http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Walther_1 ... nator/1489 ) to 280000 for a Walter kk300 ( http://www.carl-walther.de/cw.php?lang= ... &subsub=14 ) or a http://jga.anschuetz-sport.com/index.ph ... &sprache=1. Pistols would cost between 50 k for a http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/IZH_46M_A ... igger/2690 to 138000 for a http://www.steyr.in/air-pistols-ezp-18.html

For more info please go through topics in the forum. A lot of information is already there.
Nothing has shaped the history more than a Gun

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:21 pm

1) DSRA does not rent/ lend any guns to members, neither does it have any range of its own.
2) The only firearms range open to civilians in Delhi is the Dr. Karni Singh range which is owned by SAI, to use the facilities one needs to take a membership of the range (search forum for more). DSRA or NRAI membership will get no special consideration. They will ONLY rent you firearms of the type for which you possess a valid arms license.
3) On certain days DSRA does issue ammo to members for use at the Dr. Karni Singh range, as does NRAI.
4) NRAI membership DOES NOT entitle one to use the facilities of any NRAI affiliated club/ association.

If only airguns are to be used, then the DDA owned Shri Fort Sports Complex has a 10m range, where IIRC air-rifles & air-pistols are available on rent. No membership required, just pay the fees and use the facilities.

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

farook
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by farook » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:58 pm

mundaire wrote: 4) NRAI membership DOES NOT entitle one to use the facilities of any NRAI affiliated club/ association.
My apologies for giving the wrong info Abhijeet. A good friend of mine and a lifetime member at the NRAI assured me that once I join NRAI I could use their affiliated clubs across the country. You have just saved me 23680. I may have paid and joined very shortly. Was wondering what do you get for the money anyway...
mundaire wrote: They will ONLY rent you firearms of the type for which you possess a valid arms license.
Some logic I must say. What does having a arms license got to do with borrowing a sport pistol for practice.
Nothing has shaped the history more than a Gun

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:18 pm

farook wrote:A good friend of mine and a lifetime member at the NRAI assured me that once I join NRAI I could use their affiliated clubs across the country. You have just saved me 23680. I may have paid and joined very shortly. Was wondering what do you get for the money anyway...
NRAI used to import arms and ammunition for sale to its members and the prices used to be substantially lower (even then) when compared to buying the same from dealers - this was usually why most people used to join. Unfortunately when I joined (in the late 1980's) they had just stopped those imports/ sales due to govt. restrictions. NRAI does still sell limited quantities of Indian Ordnance arms and ammunition (to members) from it's office in Delhi, their prices are a little lower than the official MRP, due to a tax rebate they enjoy, so that is one benefit. I've been hearing rumours for sometime now that NRAI is working towards restarting the limited sale of imported arms & ammo to members, but that is just a rumour - nothing definite at all.
farook wrote:Some logic I must say. What does having a arms license got to do with borrowing a sport pistol for practice.
Well, back in the 1980's and 1990's you didn't have to go through the hassle of becoming a 'member' of the Dr. Karni Singh range. The SAI (Sports Authority of India, under Ministry of Sports/ Youth) had what was called a 'pay & play' scheme. You just came to the range, paid the range fee and rented the gun by showing your license - which was retained by them at the armoury till you returned the gun. So in a way the license served as both an indicator of 'some existing competence' in handling the type of firearm being rented as well as a sort of 'security deposit' so that someone wouldn't just walk away with the gun.

Now, of course you have to become a member before even being allowed in to the range! Why do they continue with the practice? I guess only the SAI can properly answer that question.

www.gunowners.in

nevil
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by nevil » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:23 pm

Hi I have been given to understand that the NRAI gives shotguns on rent to its members for practice at Karni Singh range. Am not sure but I will be going there next week to check it out.

AgentDoubleS
Poster of the month - Apr 2015

Post by AgentDoubleS » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:04 pm

Nevil, as Mundaire mentioned firearms are provided at the range- .22 rifles, trap and skeet shotgun and competition pistols BUT only if you have a valid arms license for that firearm. Rents are very low. Once you take a membership you have to put in an application to get the permission to rent.

NRAI membership has very few benefits. They provide limited kinds of ammo and only against your license quota. They do not provide competition capable firearms to individual members. You can purchase an IOF 3006 at a discounted price if you are a member but it comes with a five year lock in.

Endlessmoor
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Endlessmoor » Fri May 02, 2014 11:57 pm

These infis are really very helpfull.

But , as it seems NRAI dont give memberships that easily, therefore it seems that for non members its only an option to buy frm the importers, and those ppl charges like hell.

AgentDoubleS

Post by AgentDoubleS » Sat May 03, 2014 12:19 pm

Endlessmoor wrote: But , as it seems NRAI daunt give memberships that easily
Who gave you this information. Have you tried?!