NRAI- Process of procuring a Rifle

A list of shooting clubs & associations in India. This includes state associations as well as NRAI affiliated rifle clubs.
AgentDoubleS
Poster of the month - Apr 2015

NRAI- Process of procuring a Rifle

Post by AgentDoubleS » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:53 pm

After much debate on .22 vs 30.06 Abhijeet was able to convince me to make the 30.06 as my first purchase. Maybe it was Abhijeet or maybe it was just the beer that we had, I finally took the call.

I purchased an IOF 30.06 from NRAI today. Detailed below is the process to procure a rifle.

Conditions:
1. You have to be a member of NRAI.
2. Should have a vacant arms license for NPB Rifle
3. Should be willing to sign an affidavit that says you can't sell/gift/transfer the rifle for 5 years.

Process:
* You can call the NRAI office to confirm availablity of the Rifle. I currently interacted with a certain Mr. Chawla. If you visit anytime soon after this topic has been posted he will be the person to call and speak to.

1. Write an application quoting your membership number to the Secretary, NRAI. I attached my license copy and id though these 2 might not be required. It is a simple application so a basic request is fine. No particular format.

2. Go the NRAI office during their working hours and submit the application. The NRAI office is located close to the Batra Hospital which is a known landamark. Address is available on the NRAI website.

3. They will provide you a copy of the affidavit which states you will not sell/gift/transfer the rifle for 5 years. It's made on a Rs.10 estamp paper. There is a Notary available at walking distance from the NRAI office where you can an affidavit created for your self.

4. Get the affidavit created and submit to NRAI.

5. Pay the required amount- they accept cash or DD. Not cheques, no cards.

6. Take the rifle after NRAI puts it on your license.

The entire process took around 2 hours for me. I took the rifle on the same day. It was as simple as I have mentioned above. No questions asked, no fuss around why I need it, or I should come back at a later date etc.

The cost of the rifle as of 1st Feb 2013 is Rs. 84,376 (inclusive of all taxes). It is a 2011 model. They do not have the 2012 available with them. They were helpful and did show me a couple of rifles to select from.

The Lifetime membership fee for NRAI currently is Rs. 23k. The IOF 30.06 is available in the market from the prices I hear at about Rs. 1.15k. The membership fee pretty much pays for itself.

Since I am a Delhi resident it was convienient too. Would suggest to IFG members to consider this as an option when taking a decision. Needless to say, your circumstances could be different.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
SS

For Advertising mail webmaster
inplainsight
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: NRAI- Process of procuring a Rifle

Post by inplainsight » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:07 pm

Congratulations!

Thanks for posting. What's the going rate for an IOF .22 with the NRAI?

Safarigent
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Safarigent » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:27 pm

SS,
What use now for the .30-06?
Which range are you planning on patronizing?
To Excellence through Diligence.

Biren
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Biren » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:13 pm

Donnt blame beer... Arms license is intoxicating.... Though weapons have sobbering effect:)... Get ammo... fire couple of rounds and post the pic as well result.

Cheers
Biren

AgentDoubleS

Post by AgentDoubleS » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:13 am

Kandarp, I don't think the NRAI provides the IOF .22. 30.06 and .315 is what they sell.

AB, the range will remain KSR- their rifles, DSRA .22 ammo. The idea was to utiliise the npb rifle license on a .30.06, particpate in a few competitions and utilise the Nrai membersip for a .22 specific addition. I eventually would want to utilise the remaining 3 spaces on my license. Long drawn out process including that of a handgun- this is the first in the list.

Biren, thanks- hopefully you'll have yours soon too. Waiting for the update.

Safarigent
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Safarigent » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:58 am

Fair enough.
But better to spend money on something you use than to buy something you wont use at all.
I mean the .30-06 has neither ranges( no the crpf range is not open to civilians) nor ammo( neither DSRA nor NRAI are selling ammo for the calibre)
You are now stuck with it for 5 years. Better to have utilized the space for an additional .22 or a handgun or a shotgun.
Not to detract from your new acquisition though.
One does what the heart wants after all.
Do post pictures of the rifle and see if you can convert it into a match rifle with peep sights etc. that way you will be able to use it for the big bore competitions.
Happy for you
Congrats once again.
Cheers

AgentDoubleS

Post by AgentDoubleS » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:52 am

Relevant points AB. But in reality I wudnt have used the IOF .22 any more than the .30. For practice at the ranges I would have used the range .22 and borrowed/hired a .22 for matches. The dicussion we had abt the .22 not being a match rifle put me off. Now I can use the 30 for big bore competitions, and scout for renting a .22 for small bore. I was keen to use it for the upcoming big bore in chandigarh open sight category but don't think can make it.

I'm looking out for a peep sight and will pick them up on my next visit to US. Had actually picked up a lot of things for an IOF.22 on my previous visit so they will be boxed.

I could have utilised it only for a rifle- npb rifle being the issued license.

Thanks- will see you at the range soon, waiting for the DSRA membership to come through.

Safarigent
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Safarigent » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:01 am

As you wish.
Do post pictures once you have zeroed it.
Its damn accurate. I fired mine 3-4 days back. The first few shots on paper were slightly less than an inch at 80 yards.
Then we got onto exploding bricks with the 150 grain sellier soft point bullets! Awesome fun! The barrel was spotless after 3 pull throughs with a boresnake and ballistol!

AgentDoubleS

Post by AgentDoubleS » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:05 pm

Sure, will do. The reputation of its accuracy precedes the rifle. Very keen to go paper punching. I have some questions about scoping it with a piece that I already have. Will post it in the relevant section.

Was exploding bricks as tough (or exciting!) as exploding flying clays? :wink:

Safarigent
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Safarigent » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:30 pm

Well, i love them all!
:)

Ganesh TT
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Ganesh TT » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:14 pm

nice info...thanks for sharing
Thanks

GANESH TT

AgentDoubleS

Post by AgentDoubleS » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:39 pm

I was going through the NRAI price list and the prices seems to have been increased- quite significantly.

The IOF 3006 is priced at a whooping 1.2 lacs+ taxes!!
The IOF revolver is priced at 1.05 lac + tax!

Both significantly above Ordanace factory rates, any idea why?

http://www.thenrai.in/PDF/7c09ec33-a2d9 ... 0686ce.pdf

Harish Asnani
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Harish Asnani » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:36 am

Gentleman may I kindly request a favor, will you be kind enough to sign for my NRAI membership. I know in these days and time, signing for someone may be a difficult thing but I don't happen to know anyone and have to rely on IFG members. I have recently joined this forum and have my introduction with details. Thanks in anticipation

Anand
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Anand » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:12 pm

Hi Harish please contact by PM for signatures.
Anand

Chandan22
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Chandan22 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:07 pm

Harish,

If you're in Delhi, I'll sign for you.. Contact via PM

~C