NRAI- Process of procuring a Rifle

A list of shooting clubs & associations in India. This includes state associations as well as NRAI affiliated rifle clubs.
Mahi6779
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Re: NRAI- Process of procuring a Rifle

Post by Mahi6779 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:55 pm

Hello guys.. Just joined the forum. I am a serving Army Officer and would like to become a member of NRAI. As ridiculous as it sounds, we are permitted to shoot military grade automatic weapons like AK series, M-16, MP-5 etc without any license, but need to be a member of either NRAI or any of its affiliated clubs to import an air rifle !! Can anyone in the forum be kind enough to introduce me to the NRAI or any club associated with it so that I can find one damn air rifle of my choice? Thanking in anticipation :-)

For Advertising mail webmaster
StampMaster
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by StampMaster » Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:03 pm

Hello All,

In regards to weapon purchase from NRAI, the price difference seems to be too much or IOF site is not updated from long.

NRAI Rate list and OFB India list

And does NRAI also sell .22 revolver and .32 Mark IV is so for what price. Thanks
”Criminals love gun control; it makes their jobs safer.”

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:12 pm

StampMaster wrote:Hello All,

In regards to weapon purchase from NRAI, the price difference seems to be too much or IOF site is not updated from long.

NRAI Rate list and OFB India list

And does NRAI also sell .22 revolver and .32 Mark IV is so for what price. Thanks
The IOF site is not updated regularly but the prices quoted are still the same as in the site. The Pistol is selling between 1 and 1.05 lacs in gurgaon by arms dealers and in Kolkata it is selling for Rs 88,000 in the market. The IOF route is still the cheapest.

Atul

AgentDoubleS
Poster of the month - Apr 2015
Poster of the month - Apr 2015

Post by AgentDoubleS » Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:25 pm

Mahi6779 wrote:Hello guys.. Just joined the forum. I am a serving Army Officer and would like to become a member of NRAI. As ridiculous as it sounds, we are permitted to shoot military grade automatic weapons like AK series, M-16, MP-5 etc without any license, but need to be a member of either NRAI or any of its affiliated clubs to import an air rifle !! Can anyone in the forum be kind enough to introduce me to the NRAI or any club associated with it so that I can find one damn air rifle of my choice? Thanking in anticipation :-)
Happy to help an officer! Pm me if you've made up ur mind on the nrai membership and I'll sign your application.

But if you ask me it is not worth the effort and money to get a 23,000 rs membership just for an air rifle. You might be better served with a Precihole if your need is plinking. Plus even once you've got the membership your options to import are restricted to certain air rifles only.

Cheers,
SS

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:24 pm

SS,

Now it is more than true. The DKSSR has stopped the daily scheme of Rs 200 and the regular membership is beyond the scope of many casual shooters (at least for me). Now one can't shoot anywhere and the guns have become 'wall hangers'.
The only advantage that still remains is the cost of ammo that is very limited not the worth of the cost of membership. The only advantage now would be to import AR's to sell at a premium. (I hate it)

Atul

Mahi6779
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Mahi6779 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:13 pm

Hey SS,
Thx for the offer.. I am unable to send any PM at this time coz I need to be more active on the site, before being allowed to do so. Anyway, will PM you once i am able to do it in the time being. Meanwhile, I would like to ask for an advice regarding Precihole air rifle.... As per the website, it offers 600 to 800 ft per second velocity, that is way lesser than the weapons we use for target practice (somewhere close to 3000 fps). Secondly, it will offer lesser distance/range for practice coz at longer range I need to adjust wind velocity and weather factors into consideration by making adequate relief for aim and the flight path. Eventually, these problems are going to create a difference in my aim during practice with an actual weapon issued to us. So, I need an imported air rifle with enough velocity and adequate range to practice on targets in our own firing ranges {thankfully I dont need to go to any club for practice :-)}. However, .177 calibre pellets often have the tendency to wander off at velocities higher than that of sound (1150 fps approx)...0.22 and above air rifles are not permitted to be used in India and all that is alright with me, coz my aim is to make a smaller group at longer distances irrespective of where it hits the target (after all we dont shoot at 10-50 yards, we shoot at 100 m minimum and beyond). I think, I am on the right lines here and hence the need for NRAI membership at a premium cost. It is an expensive deal I know, but shooting is my passion and money is just a means to help us fulfill our passions I think. What do you say?

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:03 pm

Mahi6779 wrote:However, .177 calibre pellets often have the tendency to wander off at velocities higher than that of sound
Not something limited to .177 cal. Take any air-rifle supersonic and you will end up with horrible accuracy and power/ energy without accuracy is pointless! To increase the energy while keeping the projectile sub-sonic you will need to increase the mass of the projectile. Within the limitation of .177 cal or for that matter even .22, this can only be done to a limited extent. Else, one must consider "full bore" air-rifles 9mm, .30 cal etc. Of course even these will never produce the kind of energy that a "real" centrefire cartridge would be able to.

Doubt you will be able to find any .177 air-rifle (imported or Indian) to match your stated requirements - shooting at ranges of 100+ meters.

Has the ammo shortage in the armed forces reached such levels that our officers are now looking at making do with air-rifles for training?! An alarming situation indeed :o

As to wind deviation, that happens even with full bore centrefire rifle cartridges. :)

Anyhow, welcome aboard and wish you luck in your quest.

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:40 pm

Hi,

You need to be a registered shooter with a club membership to import an air rifle.
To be registered shooter you need to participate in a few competitions and then submit the form at the NRAI office along with the requisite paper work.

Regards,

Dev
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:36 pm

dev wrote:Hi,
You need to be a registered shooter with a club membership to import an air rifle.
To be registered shooter you need to participate in a few competitions and then submit the form at the NRAI office along with the requisite paper work.
Regards,
Dev
Dev, you do not need to be a registered shooter or take part in any competition to get membership of NRAI. You do not need an arms license also. Just submit the application as required by NRAI and your identification papers to become a member.

Atul

Mahi6779
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Mahi6779 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:25 pm

Already found one Abhijeet... air rifle that shoots beyond 100 m effectively... and btw there is no shortage of ammunition in Armed forces, just that we need to follow a lot of formalities before going for practice. Moreover, air rifle is a better option for off hand practice as per convenience and fun both actually ;-)

Cheers !!